Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

PUSH

Original Poster
I laugh because that is my day too. Today I mentioned to the class 4 times that they had to skip a question on their assignment. I got asked by 5 different students how to do that question during their work time. Ugh!
This is so relatable. I love my job, but it's exhausting. We've been reviewing our classroom expectations the past two days. I've been a bit of a hard-a** with them, but the class has been misbehaving a lot over the past couple weeks. It's been better since I've honed in on the expectations and have been more rigid with following my behavior management plan. I use "reminders" that escalate to consequences after so many, and I've been giving a reminder for every little thing I see.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
This is so relatable. I love my job, but it's exhausting. We've been reviewing our classroom expectations the past two days. I've been a bit of a hard-a** with them, but the class has been misbehaving a lot over the past couple weeks. It's been better since I've honed in on the expectations and have been more rigid with following my behavior management plan. I use "reminders" that escalate to consequences after so many, and I've been giving a reminder for every little thing I see.

I've been having to do some reviewing of expectations too. It often happens during the 3rd quarter, a little bit of a mid year slump. Sorry that your class is being a little naughty. At least you have a consequence system. Our principal took away our behavior/consequence system we had in place for the middle school students and replaced it with nothing. He wants all students to go on our end of the quarter reward trip so that used to be something for them to work and behave for but now it is for all. There are little consequences we can do but nothing that is documented widely amongst the staff. Our principal has basically even told us that if we have to send kids to the office then we teachers aren't doing our jobs. Which is not true at all. It has been very frustrating this year.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I've been having to do some reviewing of expectations too. It often happens during the 3rd quarter, a little bit of a mid year slump. Sorry that your class is being a little naughty. At least you have a consequence system. Our principal took away our behavior/consequence system we had in place for the middle school students and replaced it with nothing. He wants all students to go on our end of the quarter reward trip so that used to be something for them to work and behave for but now it is for all. There are little consequences we can do but nothing that is documented widely amongst the staff. Our principal has basically even told us that if we have to send kids to the office then we teachers aren't doing our jobs. Which is not true at all. It has been very frustrating this year.
Which frying pan would you like for the administration:angelic:

PUSH

Original Poster
I'm sorry to hear that. We don't have anything that's school-wide. We used to do PBIS, but then that principal left. We got one who didn't do anything. And now we're onto another one who is actually good. There's currently a team working on some kind of school-wide expectation system.

However, over the years I've learned that rewards don't do anything. They may work for a short period for the kids who already behave or have minor behaviors, but those who constantly need redirection do not change their behaviors to get rewards. It's exhausting as a teacher to have to reward every kid in your class constantly for doing what is expected of them. And then when kids follow expectations, they wonder why they don't get rewards. I had a kid this year tell me his teacher last year got him McDonalds when he behaved. He's told me multiple times. Ummm.... what? I am not going to get you McDonalds because you are not following expectations as well as your peers.

I think our whole staff is on board with not bringing back PBIS. It doesn't work. You can't just acknowledge only the positive behaviors and think the negative behaviors will go away. Our principal now understands that. My first principal gave students play breaks and food when they were literally tearing classrooms apart, running from teachers, and climbing on tall shelves. I can't believe I actually worked in that environment.

Songbird76

I remember that storm! Lived near Interstate 95 here in MA, and the photos looked like the one you shared above, (from another part of the state). Governor declared state of emergency (I think for around 8 days or so). Delivery trucks had a tough time trying to get to communities with groceries, etc. As a result, I recall the MA National Guard helicopters bringing in milk, bread, and other staples -- they flew in helicopters, and landed on the high school football field. (Multiple town crews somehow managed to clear enough snow, so that the helicopters could land.)
I don't know if we got hit with that one... I was only a year old then unless it was at the end of 78, and then I'd have been two.

My mom said I was born in a snowstorm. They had scheduled her c section, and then this storm hit and they were afraid they wouldn't be able to get off the ranch because of the snow. But they were friends with the county commissioner, and he got someone to come plow right to our front door so mom could get into town.

But the blizzard of 83 or 84 lasted three days and they couldn't get out on the roads to do rescues or anything. The coal mines have shelters that have food stores for exactly that sort of event, because it happens a lot in Wyoming that the roads close, and the miners can't get back into town, so they just stay there. But that year, it hit so suddenly and there were some stranded travelers so the town opened up one of the schools and maybe some churches to take in people who had nowhere to go. We had no hotel back then and the road was closed so you couldn't get to the next town, which was 40 miles away. I was too young to remember anything about supplies, but in Wyoming, we're taught to keep canned goods and such on hand, as well as extra blankets, hats, scarves, etc and candles in case the power goes out.

Songbird76

This is why I got out of teaching so fast. It feels like the teacher's hands are tied. You can't do anything... You can't keep a kid after school because of bus schedules and after school activities. You can't keep a kid in for recess because they need to expend the excess energy and they need breaks. You can't make them do extra work because they just won't do it. I had a parent call and inform me her daughter would not be completing the assignment I gave because it was too fun, and school is not for fun. You can't even scold a kid for misbehaving! I actually had a parent come in and yell at me because I had the audacity to reprimand her son for calling someone a derogative name because she was "trying to raise her son in a Christian environment and he should be able to express his feelings when he thinks they aren't living in the right way." I told her that in MY classroom, we have respect for EVERYONE, and that means we don't say bad things about others. My mentor teacher's husband (student teaching) was put on administrative leave because a girl claimed sexual harassment after she threw a wad of paper across the room and missed the garbage, so he made her walk over and pick it up. She claimed he just wanted her to bend over. Classroom management just felt like a losing battle. So I stopped teaching.

trr1

On February 15th, National Wisconsin Day recognizes The Badger State.

#NationalWisconsinDay

Rich in copper, lead, forest and fertile farmland, Wisconsin became the 30th state on May 29, 1848. In 1634, French explorer Jean Nicolet was the first European to reach Wisconsin while seeking a Northwest passage to China.

A mining boom, not fur trading, led to the nickname The Badger State. According to oral history, the miners burrowed into the hillsides much like badgers for shelter instead of setting up more permanent homesteads. The first wave of settlers to the area also began the uprooting of the Ho-Chunk, Menominee, Chippewa and other indigenous people.
arly in Wisconsin’s settlement, dairy production began to take root. By the turn of the century, the state became known for its dairy farms and synonymous with cheese.

Mining, dairies, and breweries grew one after the other. An influx of German immigrants in the 1850s brought a new brand of dreamers. Brewers cropped up across Wisconsin satisfying the thirst of The Badger State. As with brewers in other regions of the country, the 18th Amendment of 1919 prohibiting alcohol drowned out much of the competition leaving only a handful after the legislation was repealed in 1933.
From Lake Michigan to Superior and numerous river and lakes in between, Wisconsin offers ample opportunity for water recreation and sport. There are also year-round trails perfect for summer hiking or substantial snow for winter activities.

HOW TO OBSERVE NATIONAL WISCONSIN DAY

• Discover a taste of Wisconsin.
  • Join National Day Calendar as we explore the 30th state’s history, people, and culture.
  • Read about these 5 Things Wisconsin is Known For (other than cheese).
  • Uncover and Travel Wisconsin with all her hidden treasures and amazing landscapes! Use #NationalWisconsinDay to share on social media.

PUSH

Original Poster
On February 15th, National Wisconsin Day recognizes The Badger State.

#NationalWisconsinDay

Rich in copper, lead, forest and fertile farmland, Wisconsin became the 30th state on May 29, 1848. In 1634, French explorer Jean Nicolet was the first European to reach Wisconsin while seeking a Northwest passage to China.

A mining boom, not fur trading, led to the nickname The Badger State. According to oral history, the miners burrowed into the hillsides much like badgers for shelter instead of setting up more permanent homesteads. The first wave of settlers to the area also began the uprooting of the Ho-Chunk, Menominee, Chippewa and other indigenous people.
arly in Wisconsin’s settlement, dairy production began to take root. By the turn of the century, the state became known for its dairy farms and synonymous with cheese.

Mining, dairies, and breweries grew one after the other. An influx of German immigrants in the 1850s brought a new brand of dreamers. Brewers cropped up across Wisconsin satisfying the thirst of The Badger State. As with brewers in other regions of the country, the 18th Amendment of 1919 prohibiting alcohol drowned out much of the competition leaving only a handful after the legislation was repealed in 1933.
From Lake Michigan to Superior and numerous river and lakes in between, Wisconsin offers ample opportunity for water recreation and sport. There are also year-round trails perfect for summer hiking or substantial snow for winter activities.

HOW TO OBSERVE NATIONAL WISCONSIN DAY

• Discover a taste of Wisconsin.
  • Join National Day Calendar as we explore the 30th state’s history, people, and culture.
  • Read about these 5 Things Wisconsin is Known For (other than cheese).
  • Uncover and Travel Wisconsin with all her hidden treasures and amazing landscapes! Use #NationalWisconsinDay to share on social media.
Yep. I can confirm all of this information.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I drove home today, seeing lightning and thunderstorms in the distance. I currently have my patio door and windows wide open. It's 55 degrees. And oh yeah, it's February 8th.
We’re going to hit double digits “today” and tomorrow. (Another distinctly Canadian term like May 2-4, double double at Timmie’s, and calling a washroom a washroom.)

Double digits refers to any temp above 10°C … almost exclusively reserved for early springlike conditions when it should normally be much cooler.

IMG_5913.jpeg

trr1

We’re going to hit double digits “today” and tomorrow. (Another distinctly Canadian term like May 2-4, double double at Timmie’s, and calling a washroom a washroom.)

Double digits refers to any temp above 10°C … almost exclusively reserved for early springlike conditions when it should normally be much cooler.

View attachment 767504
what is the temperatures in the odd American way ?

trr1

1707516500418.png
Berwyn - HQ1 (KLOM) forecast for Friday 2/9/24
Time (EST)​
Sky Conditions
Temperature (°F)
Feels Like (°F)
Dew Point (°F)
Humidity (%)
Wind Direction
Wind Speed (mph)
Precipitation Chance (%)
Precipitation Amount
(in.)
6 AM​
37​
37​
31​
79​
SSE​
3​
0​
None​
9 AM​
42​
40​
34​
73​
S​
4​
0​
None​
12 PM​
51​
51​
36​
57​
S​
5​
0​
None​
3 PM​
56​
56​
36​
47​
SSW​
5​
0​
None​
6 PM​
50​
50​
37​
61​
S​
3​
0​
None​
9 PM​
44​
44​
38​
80​
S​
3​
0​
None​
12 AM​
41​
41​
37​
86​
S​
LV​
0​
None​
3 AM​
39​
39​
37​
93​
S​
LV​
0​
None​
Your 5 Day Forecast
Day​
Sky Conditions
Weather
High (°F)
Low (°F)
Humidity (%)
Winds (mph)
Precipitation Chance (%)
Precipitation Amount
(in.)
Fri​
Partly Cloudy​
56​
36​
62​
4​
0​
None​
Sat​
Scattered PM Rain​
58​
39​
75​
4​
28​
Rain
0.09​
Sun​
Mostly Cloudy​
50​
38​
63​
4​
0​
None​
Mon​
PM Rain Likely​
47​
34​
69​
3​
70​
Rain
0.24​
Tue​
All Day Snow/Rain Likely​
40​
31​
64​
11​
70​
S:1-3
L:0.55​

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom