Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

Songbird76

Bunch of schools up in our area also shut down for a few days (or just 1/2 day in person in the mornings only), due to the high heat. Many of the buildings do not have any A/C, and fans don't cut it when it's extremely hot like that.
I wish our schools would do that. Our schools here don't have AC, and neither do most homes. When it gets into the 90s it's miserable here. There's no escape from it. Work is really bad because we also don't have AC, and we are doing physical labor. Walking quickly, lifting heavy boxes, etc is not fun when it's over 100 degrees inside.

Goofyernmost

As I've mentioned before, my school district's last day is June 18th. Tonight it was announced that Kindergarten - 8th grade will learn virtually tomorrow due to the predicted heat. The high schools have central air conditioning and they will learn In Person.

Bunch of schools up in our area also shut down for a few days (or just 1/2 day in person in the mornings only), due to the high heat. Many of the buildings do not have any A/C, and fans don't cut it when it's extremely hot like that.
Goodness, you guys handle a little heat like we handle a few snow flakes. I remember going to school in this old 100 year building with huge windows then when open were absolute invites for all kinds of birds to fly in and around the class room. No staying home, just sweat it out.

PUSH

Original Poster
I just saw on the news that some schools still in session around here are going to do distance learning because of the heat. Glad i dont have to worrh about that... schools out for summer for me!
My classroom gets unbearably hot in the afternoons when it's hot out. My classroom window opens up to a tiny courtyard that's completely surrounded by building, so I get no airflow through the window. We had specials in our classroom this year, so the music teacher would close our door during class, and it'd be a sauna when I got back.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Goodness, you guys handle a little heat like we handle a few snow flakes. I remember going to school in this old 100 year building with huge windows then when open were absolute invites for all kinds of birds to fly in and around the class room. No staying home, just sweat it out.
Me too, but a lot of schools built in the past 50 years do not have operable windows.

I never attended a single grade school with A/C, and only the new wing of my high school had it. The thinking up here in the colder climates is to make the schools efficient for heating in the winter, as the extreme heat is only a possibility for 2 or 3 weeks/year.

PUSH

Original Poster
Me too, but a lot of schools built in the past 50 years do not have operable windows.

I never attended a single grade school with A/C, and only the new wing of my high school had it. The thinking up here in the colder climates is to make the schools efficient for heating in the winter, as the extreme heat is only a possibility for 2 or 3 weeks/year.
My windows open, but only one latches shut. So my window will be unlatched all summer long.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
My classroom gets unbearably hot in the afternoons when it's hot out. My classroom window opens up to a tiny courtyard that's completely surrounded by building, so I get no airflow through the window. We had specials in our classroom this year, so the music teacher would close our door during class, and it'd be a sauna when I got back.

My room gets super hot too, I have the parking lot and a brick wall right outside my window so it bakes like an oven out there.

PUSH

Original Poster
My room gets super hot too, I have the parking lot and a brick wall right outside my window so it bakes like an oven out there.
My old room was great. It was in the "new" part of the building (that's still older than I am), and it was quite a bit cooler. The rooms across the hall are interior rooms, so they have A/C, which kind of drifted to my room. And the windows were huge and let in a strong breeze.

Songbird76

I remember when E was in 3rd grade and it got so hot out and without air conditioning, her classroom was over 110 degrees. The teacher took a picture of the thermostat in the classroom. Almost every school in the nation had either canceled school or had done early release or started early so they could be out early because of the heat wave, but our principal decided they didn't need it....they could just drink water more often. I'm sorry, but 110 is just too hot. That's not a safe environment for them.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Yah, but you were tougher than the present generation, because you walked 20 miles to school, uphill both ways. ;)

This year everyone is wearing masks.

THIS!! And that was one of the primary reasons why some schools shut down (or were open only for the mornings) the past few days. It was not just the unbearable heat in many older school buildings without any A/C, it was also because children were wearing masks (through the end of this school year in June).

I don't think some people were aware of that fact as well, and glad you brought it up here.

I remember when E was in 3rd grade and it got so hot out and without air conditioning, her classroom was over 110 degrees. The teacher took a picture of the thermostat in the classroom. Almost every school in the nation had either canceled school or had done early release or started early so they could be out early because of the heat wave, but our principal decided they didn't need it....they could just drink water more often. I'm sorry, but 110 is just too hot. That's not a safe environment for them.

Wow. Your principal back then was crazy. :jawdrop:

Goofyernmost

I never attended a grade school, high school or college with AC. That's why all people born in my era are going to heaven.

Goofyernmost

This year everyone is wearing masks.
Reality is that wearing a mask only makes it mentally hotter, not actually. It's in the 90's around here a lot, been out with a mask and without one, no difference. I noticed a specific thing about how our minds work and what it tells us. Check it out when you can. I found that 72 degrees is warmer in the summer then in the winter. Is it really or are we just thinking it is because of surrounding influences?

Songbird76

Wow. Your principal back then was crazy. :jawdrop:
Yes, I was definitely not a fan of the principal. Honestly, I was just not a fan of the school. I was SO glad when neither of my kids had to go there anymore. E because she went to high school, A because we sent him to a special ed school. That principal really just didn't do anything for the kids. Usually, the 6th graders would have a big send off event. They usually put on a musical for the families. The kids work on it for the last couple of months of school and they make it a big deal for the kids. This school did nothing for them. No musical or anything. Just an evening where they came to the school, they were only allowed to invite 2 people, so anyone with siblings or step parents or grandparents had to choose who they wanted to invite, and they had to provide their own refreshments and everything. The kids had to do all the work themselves without the help of the teachers, they got no time in school to work on it. It was just "sign up if you want to do something and bring your own music, costumes, props, etc" so the kids had to think up their own acts, practice outside of school, etc. and it was all thrown together a week beforehand. The school did zip. It was the first year in the new building, which was too small, so classes had to be held in the rec center next door because there weren't enough classrooms, and they made the space where they would normally hold events like the musical way too small. I don't think they can even fit all the kids in the school in there let alone the kids plus their families, which was why they could only have 2 people per 6th grader.

Plus, it was the principal who tried to keep us from getting A into the special ed school. You can't just enroll a kid in special education schools. They have to have a diagnosis, and it has to be proven that a regular school can't meet their needs. The principal refused to admit they weren't meeting his needs and wouldn't ask them to enroll him. He was 9 and wanted to kill himself, but that wasn't enough to say "He's not doing well in our school." We had to go in through a "back door" method without the support of the school. I was spitting mad. They did NOTHING for several years about the bullying, and then they refused to admit that it wasn't a safe environment for him. That man should never have been in an administrative role.

Sorry....I still get very upset about that situation. Scariest thing ever, having your child say he wants to kill himself. And to have the school, even knowing that, still say they "didn't think it was that bad." :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom