Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

PUSH

Original Poster
we haven’t been told anything about snow days yet. But not all our students and staff have good internet connections at home, so it might be tough. I guess we will see.
We have provided hot spots to students without good internet connections. There are some areas where hot spots don't work, though, so those students came to school still. And students receiving special services had the option to come to school, too. Staff have not been provided hot spots. And my internet is not consistent. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it is terrible. It's never good doing live meets, though. When I taught summer school, I had to use my phone.

They might say that staff need to provide at home activities for snow days, but not require live meetings. Who knows? That's something that should have been thought about and communicated already so we can be prepared. We also have a new superintendent this year, so we have no idea how he will call snow days. Our previous one was notorious for not calling them.

Songbird76

I wonder how they will deal with snow days this year. We can't do virtual learning without a pick up of materials. But I can totally see the admin saying we have to do it anyway.
What do you mean by a pick up of materials? Do the kids need to come get a packet or books or something? I suppose that's maybe a bit different at elementary level than at high school level? Over here, I don't know how they did elementary schools because my kids are both in secondary, but for my daughter, they keep all their books at home. Their lockers are tiny and just for their coat and the books they need that day. But they aren't allowed to use their lockers right now between classes. They have to carry their books with them the whole day. But because they always keep the books at home, there is no need for them to come get anything from the school if they go online.

For my son, they don't get homework really, unless they don't finish in class, but most of them do, and they keep their books at school unless they have a test to study for. When schools closed, teachers gathered up all the books and dropped them at the students' houses...but with so few kids, that's a lot easier. I think first they just made digital copies of the books and emailed them, just the parts of the book they'd need, but then they extended the closure so they ended up dropping off the books. How did your school do it?

PUSH

Original Poster
What do you mean by a pick up of materials? Do the kids need to come get a packet or books or something? I suppose that's maybe a bit different at elementary level than at high school level? Over here, I don't know how they did elementary schools because my kids are both in secondary, but for my daughter, they keep all their books at home. Their lockers are tiny and just for their coat and the books they need that day. But they aren't allowed to use their lockers right now between classes. They have to carry their books with them the whole day. But because they always keep the books at home, there is no need for them to come get anything from the school if they go online.

For my son, they don't get homework really, unless they don't finish in class, but most of them do, and they keep their books at school unless they have a test to study for. When schools closed, teachers gathered up all the books and dropped them at the students' houses...but with so few kids, that's a lot easier. I think first they just made digital copies of the books and emailed them, just the parts of the book they'd need, but then they extended the closure so they ended up dropping off the books. How did your school do it?
Our lessons require lots of different materials like math journals, math manipulatives, special worksheets, etc. And 1st graders do better with paper/pencil than filling something out on their Chromebooks. The writing piece is so important at this age.

PUSH

Original Poster
I've been playing this game throughout the weekend. You have to name as many US cities as you can.

So far I'm up to 828 cities, with a total population of 68,423,889 (29.18% of the national urban population in 2010). Wisconsin is where most of my cities have come from, with 106 so far. California is in second with 58. Third is Texas with 52.

I really don't know all of these cities, but I just type in things that either sound like cities, or I type random words and it turns out they are cities, too. There are some really strange city names around the country. My smallest city has a population of 9.

Goofyernmost

Consider the title of this thread. 😉
I did, but found it way too random. #61955 posts in is a little hard to know that was what they are talking about. If it had started with "Considering the title of this thread" it would have been clear as button hook in the well water!

Songbird76

Canadian/US land border closure extended another 30 days. No surprise, but it wounds me a little bit anyway.
Yeah, I'm not likely to be able to go home until 2022 at this rate. Borders might not open before Spring in 2021 or later, and then I'd have no time to make plans. I guess we'll just have to see, because I REALLY want to go in the Summer, and I want to go in 2021, because in 2022, we are in the earliest vacation region, which means I'd miss the Wyoming state fair that I really want the kids to experience. Everything else can be shifted...it doesn't really make a difference whether we see Yellowstone in the end of July or middle of August.

Technically, I'm allowed to go because the ban allows for people with "close family" to travel, but then I'd have to self quarantine for 14 days on arrival, which takes away the travel time. And it seems kind of stupid to have to do that coming from here where our rate of infection isn't even as bad as it is in the US.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom