Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Actually, I think 30 days is wishful thinking . . . :cautious:
The initial closure, as well as each extension has been 30 days. 2 cycles of the infection plus a 2 day time out so we can reflect on our behaviour. 😂

Truth is, we can fly back and forth, almost at will, with mandatory quarantines. The closure is just for non-essential land crossing. I understand stopping the day trippers, but what’s the difference if we want to drive to Florida or fly to Florida? (We don’t want to do either ... just making a point.)

NYwdwfan

The initial closure, as well as each extension has been 30 days. 2 cycles of the infection plus a 2 day time out so we can reflect on our behaviour. 😂

Truth is, we can fly back and forth, almost at will, with mandatory quarantines. The closure is just for non-essential land crossing. I understand stopping the day trippers, but what’s the difference if we want to drive to Florida or fly to Florida? (We don’t want to do either ... just making a point.)
Or Long Island. Not that you want to.

Goofyernmost

My grandson started college on the 31st of September. Last week one of his close friends that plays on the basketball team at UNC Charlotte tested positive for Covid. My grandson was put in quarantee for two weeks. Yesterday, he tested negative but still has to remain quaranteed for another week. He, and his parents, decided that he should come home to work out his quarantee time. I haven't really had the time to look into it, but if you test negative, why would you have to stay in quarantee?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
My grandson started college on the 31st of September. Last week one of his close friends that plays on the basketball team at UNC Charlotte tested positive for Covid. My grandson was put in quarantee for two weeks. Yesterday, he tested negative but still has to remain quaranteed for another week. He, and his parents, decided that he should come home to work out his quarantee time. I haven't really had the time to look into it, but if you test negative, why would you have to stay in quarantee?
Up here you have to quarantine for two weeks if you’ve been in close contact with someone who has tested positive.

I’m not sure why your grandson has a third week of quarantine.

A negative COVID test represents a tiny moment in time. You can have the test, hit the supermarket on the way home to pick up quarantine supplies, and come in contact with the virus. Poof ... the negative results you receive a day or two later mean nothing.

This summer, I spent the day at the beach with my immunocompromised Auntie. I wore my mask and stayed 6’ away from her. I wouldn’t go in the RV, and sanitized my hands multiple, multiple times.

The next day, her daughter and two friends came down for three days. “We don’t need to wear masks. We all had tests last week.” Again, means squat.

Goofyernmost

Up here you have to quarantine for two weeks if you’ve been in close contact with someone who has tested positive.

I’m not sure why your grandson has a third week of quarantine.

A negative COVID test represents a tiny moment in time. You can have the test, hit the supermarket on the way home to pick up quarantine supplies, and come in contact with the virus. Poof ... the negative results you receive a day or two later mean nothing.

This summer, I spent the day at the beach with my immunocompromised Auntie. I wore my mask and stayed 6’ away from her. I wouldn’t go in the RV, and sanitized my hands multiple, multiple times.

The next day, her daughter and two friends came down for three days. “We don’t need to wear masks. We all had tests last week.” Again, means squat.
Yes, but he has been in quarantine for over a week, with no contact with any positives since his friend first tested. I realize that it is just a moment in time, but you do have to be some hot spot for it to be a problem. When I was in the hospital I was tested and there were some things that I could not have happen because of it, until the results came back negative. After that everything was back to normal. One could wait forever with that logic. You came in contact, two weeks ago and then was tested with negative results. Couldn't quarantine time be never ending because who knows. Someone sneezes while walking by, the wind catches it and all of a sudden he tests positive. I have a bigger chance of now testing positive than he does, by a long shot.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Yes, but he has been in quarantine for over a week, with no contact with any positives since his friend first tested. I realize that it is just a moment in time, but you do have to be some hot spot for it to be a problem. When I was in the hospital I was tested and there were some things that I could not have happen because of it, until the results came back negative. After that everything was back to normal. One could wait forever with that logic. You came in contact, two weeks ago and then was tested with negative results. Couldn't quarantine time be never ending because who knows. Someone sneezes while walking by, the wind catches it and all of a sudden he tests positive. I have a bigger chance of now testing positive than he does, by a long shot.
I hear ya. Again, the rule here is TWO WEEKS quarantine/self isolation after a either a positive test or close contact with a known positive person.

The person who sneezes at the grocery store (should be wearing a mask, but I digress) is not a known positive. If they were, they have no business being at the grocery store. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Goofyernmost

I hear ya. Again, the rule here is TWO WEEKS quarantine/self isolation after a either a positive test or close contact with a known positive person.

The person who sneezes at the grocery store (should be wearing a mask, but I digress) is not a known positive. If they were, they have no business being at the grocery store. 🤷🏼‍♀️
That was just an example of the only way he might have been exposed so why the continued isolation. They must have their reasons that they are withholding from me, but it does make me wonder. When I got the word that I was negative, I didn't hide in a cave, I went back to what I was doing before I went to the hospital which means for the last 7 months. None of that was isolation, just finding the areas least likely to be a problem area. Whatever I was doing did not put me in a place that I made contact with the virus.

It angers me when I see people with either no mask or one up to, but not including their nose. Even those that wear the "cowboy bank robber scarfs over there face that fly right out straight when they sneeze or they pull down when speaking because they think that little thin piece of cloth blocks the sound of their voices. There is far more stupid floating around than there is virus and that's what is keeping it going.

Songbird76

The incubation period is between 5 days and two weeks, so if it should take longer to show up in him, he COULD still have it and it just isn't showing yet on a test. That's why there's the 2 week quarantine period. If you haven't gotten it within those two weeks, they can be pretty sure you don't have it. But it CAN take longer than a week.

PUSH

Original Poster
The incubation period is between 5 days and two weeks, so if it should take longer to show up in him, he COULD still have it and it just isn't showing yet on a test. That's why there's the 2 week quarantine period. If you haven't gotten it within those two weeks, they can be pretty sure you don't have it. But it CAN take longer than a week.
Yep, that's what I was going to say, too.

trr1

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I bought new bedside table lamps. Just got them all set up.

Mike: Do you want the verdict?
Me: Sure.
Mike: I don’t like ‘em.

What’s not to like? They’re sleek, compact, LED (so they’re cheap to operate) and they take up a fraction of the footprint. They’re staying. Plus, I’ve given the old ones away already. To someone who really needs them.

2FD32B2A-6F8F-41F2-880C-03ED3DBD44C8.jpeg

7F4EE616-C9A5-4350-A1D5-47B29717F64A.jpeg

Songbird76

That's really interesting! Thanks for posting that! I had no idea they could do that...but I guess it makes sense. It makes me wonder why this hasn't been done for years. We could have been developing this technology and instead, now we are already in a pandemic situation and there are no industry standards because it's still in the experimental stage. I wonder what disease control will look like in...say 50 years. It seems there is still a lot to learn!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@JenniferS , I just had this random thought. Since one of the biggest sports in Canada is curling, are your teams up there still playing? My guess is yes, only because at most it's just 2 guys (and they could wear a mask), and 2 brooms. They slide down the ice following that rock thing, so there's plenty of social distancing. Do you ever watch curling?

NYwdwfan

I bought new bedside table lamps. Just got them all set up.

Mike: Do you want the verdict?
Me: Sure.
Mike: I don’t like ‘em.

What’s not to like? They’re sleek, compact, LED (so they’re cheap to operate) and they take up a fraction of the footprint. They’re staying. Plus, I’ve given the old ones away already. To someone who really needs them.

View attachment 507409

View attachment 507410
He'll come around. I think they're cool. Not that you asked. ;)
@JenniferS , I just had this random thought. Since one of the biggest sports in Canada is curling, are your teams up there still playing? My guess is yes, only because at most it's just 2 guys (and they could wear a mask), and 2 brooms. They slide down the ice following that rock thing, so there's plenty of social distancing. Do you ever watch curling?
When I went to Canada years back it was during some sort of curling competition (aka any random day in Canada) and thta's all that was on the tv. We watched whenever we were in the hotel room and actually started rooting for our favorite teams!

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
He'll come around. I think they're cool. Not that you asked. ;)

When I went to Canada years back it was during some sort of curling competition (aka any random day in Canada) and thta's all that was on the tv. We watched whenever we were in the hotel room and actually started rooting for our favorite teams!
Our most famous curler (may she rest in peace) was Sandra Schmirler, who skipped her team to the first ever Olympic Gold awarded in Women’s Curling. She died at the age of 36 from cancer.

She was, of course, referred to as “Schmirler the Curler”. Every Canadian watched her.

Goofyernmost

Yep, that's what I was going to say, too.
I know this is going to be hard to believe, but I put the wrong numbers in. Yes, I made a mistake that I prefer to call a "senior moment". I'm going to try and work through it.

He had already been in quarantine for two weeks when they tested him. He came out negative. The college, however, requires a three week quarantine. That is what was puzzling me. He opted to come home (two hour drive) for the final week of the quarantine. Based on the iffy nature of this whole thing, I believe that he is going to opt to stay home the rest of the semester and attend "on line" for now. It is to bad because they had to pay for the semesters room and board and it doesn't look like it is going to be refundable if he decides to stay home. Damn good thing that neither his mother or his father have lost their jobs through this whole thing. (so far)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom