Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

Goofyernmost

I must admit, that is not the reaction I was expecting from you. I had no idea you were "done" with the parks.

I do agree though, Disney will do what Disney is going to do. It's not all great, but it certainly isn't all bad. Most of it, in fact, is still very good.

Things may change, but for me, WDW is still where I want to spend the bulk of my vacation time and dollars. And yes, I know there are other places to go. I've been to some of them, and I'm negotiating with Hubby to go to others. But Disney parks are still my first choice. You can be sure you'll be the first to know if it ceases to be.
I am not done yet, but, I no longer get the joy from it that I once did. Perhaps it is because I have to go solo so much these days, or perhaps, my 68 years is just starting to take it's toll on me. I know that, for the most part, everything I enjoyed is going slowly or cut back to the point that places like the People Mover is hardly more then a train ride in the dark that is making it not really worth the effort. These days it takes effort to go to these things, just the walking alone is tedious. The cost is outrageous, not out of line with many other things, but, priced to the point that it is a significant investment to go. I have no interest in Marvel anything. I don't mean to insult anyone, but, I abandoned those super heros when I was around 12 years old or at the very least when I started to sprout hair in odd places.

The excitement that I used to feel is gone. In the last few years I have gone simply because I was familiar with the area, could find my way around easily and knew what to expect. (you know we elderly cannot handle the unknown very well) I can remember even when I was in my 50's how I couldn't sleep well the night before I left on a road trip from Vermont to Orlando. I was excited and couldn't wait to be on my way. In fact, a couple of times I woke up at 3am and decided to go then, because I couldn't wait any longer. Not the case anymore and all I have is a simple 600 mile drive now to be in the area that helped me make it through the winter in the past.

Just today I stopped into the Disney Store in Raleigh and got a price list for a three day park hopper and it came to $345.00. That is more then I used to pay for my 10 day, non-expiring, park hopper. I suppose if I was earning money replenishing my retirement, it wouldn't bother me much, but, without it.. it is a bitter pill, especially if I am not getting the enjoyment that I once did. Maybe, if now that I am a widower instead of a divorced man, I might be able to find someone to go with and that might renew the excitement, but for now. Blah!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I am not done yet, but, I no longer get the joy from it that I once did. Perhaps it is because I have to go solo so much these days, or perhaps, my 68 years is just starting to take it's toll on me. I know that, for the most part, everything I enjoyed is going slowly or cut back to the point that places like the People Mover is hardly more then a train ride in the dark that is making it not really worth the effort. These days it takes effort to go to these things, just the walking alone is tedious. The cost is outrageous, not out of line with many other things, but, priced to the point that it is a significant investment to go. I have no interest in Marvel anything. I don't mean to insult anyone, but, I abandoned those super heros when I was around 12 years old or at the very least when I started to sprout hair in odd places.

The excitement that I used to feel is gone. In the last few years I have gone simply because I was familiar with the area, could find my way around easily and knew what to expect. (you know we elderly cannot handle the unknown very well) I can remember even when I was in my 50's how I couldn't sleep well the night before I left on a road trip from Vermont to Orlando. I was excited and couldn't wait to be on my way. In fact, a couple of times I woke up at 3am and decided to go then, because I couldn't wait any longer. Not the case anymore and all I have is a simple 600 mile drive now to be in the area that helped me make it through the winter in the past.

Just today I stopped into the Disney Store in Raleigh and got a price list for a three day park hopper and it came to $345.00. That is more then I used to pay for my 10 day, non-expiring, park hopper. I suppose if I was earning money replenishing my retirement, it wouldn't bother me much, but, without it.. it is a bitter pill, especially if I am not getting the enjoyment that I once did. Maybe, if now that I am a widower instead of a divorced man, I might be able to find someone to go with and that might renew the excitement, but for now. Blah!

Marvel has about zero interest for me, too. However, there's plenty of other attractions that I really enjoy, that I expect will be around for years to come. I guess when I go on vacation, I'm in this sort of carefree, oblivious zone. :happy: (Actually, I've sort of perfected the art of oblivion over the years, in my daily life. :p )

That aside, I'm far more critical of some of the changes in the parks when I'm not there. For example, one of my favorites (aside of the roller coasters), is the TTA PeopleMover, and I completely understand your frustration with some of the unique details that are missing. (Currently, a ride in the dark portion is not nearly as exciting as years ago, watching the green light streaks of Space Mountain's cars hurtling through "space" and hearing the screams.) I also prefer the older narration. Yet overall, the TTA PeopleMover remains to me, to be one of the most relaxing, popular, and longest rides in the park.

The price for tickets is a killer, (I really feel your pain on that one) and it forced me to cut back a day of vacation this past May. My hunch is that if the tickets were less, some of the excitement and "magic" would return for you. I'm not saying that a return trip (at some point) would match some experiences you had from years past, but taking a slower pace in the parks and selecting just the major attractions you like, can be really fun--and a nice break in the daily "routine" of life. :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom