Where in the World is Bob Saget?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
We're 22 or so hours from WDW and have never driven. The firm prefers that we only take our vacations one week at a time and we spend a week there, so a road trip is out.
Plus, I REALLY like chillin' on a flight with a few adult beverages and bein' there in less than 3 hrs. :)
I think it's an age thing.
Driving in my 20's and 30's - no big deal.

Now, I'd rather poke my eye out. We cross the border at Fort Erie and fly out of Buffalo.
Half the price of flying out of Pearson, and no Customs and Immigration to deal with at the airport.

acishere

No, not really. I'd rather be down there than sit in the car for hours and hours. And for my next trip, two 18 year olds, both with older vehicles=not good. We're flying. Besides, since I had so many frequent flyer miles and we got a bunch of $50 vouchers after Southwest lost our bags, it cost me $12.50 for this trip.
Also when you start working, you don't start with that many vacation days. To make them count, I fly.

JenniferS

No, not really. I'd rather be down there than sit in the car for hours and hours. And for my next trip, two 18 year olds, both with older vehicles=not good. We're flying. Besides, since I had so many frequent flyer miles and we got a bunch of $50 vouchers after Southwest lost our bags, it cost me $12.50 for this trip.
Let me give you some perspective as to why we had to drive a few times - $$$$$.

Flying out of Pearson (the world's most expensive airport due to fees, taxes and levies), we paid $600 per person (x4) in 2003 dollars. Plus it would have been more than $200 for parking. Luckily my dad (God, I miss him!!) dropped us off and picked us up.

We drove the next 3 or 4 times, and then discovered Buffalo International. The first time we flew from there, we paid less than $1600 for 8 of us, plus $40 for parking.

When you are married, with kids, and car payments, and a mortgage, and credit card debt, and one of the highest tax rates in the world, you sometimes have to suck it up and drive. That last part sounds condescending, but it's not meant to be.

Now that I am older, I would skip a year rather than drive again with my kids. A 6'8" hubby, 2 - 6'4" sons, and me in one car for 23+ hours - not gonna happen!

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No

Flying out of Pearson (the world's most expensive airport due to fees, taxes and levies), we paid $1200 per person (x4) in 2003 dollars. Plus it would have been more than $200 for parking. Luckily my dad (God, I miss him!!) dropped us off and picked us up.

We drove the next 3 or 4 times, and then discovered Buffalo International. The first time we flew from there, we paid less than $1600 for 8 of us, plus $40 for parking.

When you are married, with kids, and car payments, and a mortgage, and credit card debt, and one of the highest tax rates in the world, you sometimes have to suck it up and drive. That last part sounds condescending, but it's not meant to be.

Now that I am older, I would skip a year rather than drive again with my kids. A 6'8" hubby, 2 - 6'4" sons, and me in one car for 23+ hours - not gonna happen!
Yeah, being in Canada doesn't help. I can get Southwest airfares out of BWI to MCO for $125 each way per person, no bag fees. Considering that in my car, I'd probably fill up at least twice on the way down and it's about $40 to fill it up (if I'm lucky), it's more expensive to fly, but not by much (for just me going this Jan anyway). We've only done the drive a few times, and that was after going down for a few days after being in South Carolina, so it was only 16 hours straight up

donaldtoo

I think it's an age thing.
Driving in my 20's and 30's - no big deal.

Now, I'd rather poke my eye out. We cross the border at Fort Erie and fly out of Buffalo.
Half the price of flying out of Pearson, and no Customs and Immigration to deal with at the airport.

We're native Texans, but, we also lived in Alabama and NoCal before we moved back here. We flew back to Texas every summer to visit until, while living in Cali., my father bought a pickup with a camper on it in '71. We drove back to Texas every summer for 3 week vacations until we moved back here in '76. Without a doubt, some of the greatest memories of my life, those road trips! :) If I could take more than a weeks worth of vacation at a pop, we'd probably road trip to WDW at least once. We've gotten so spoiled with the flyin' over the years though, it'd probably be one and done. ;)

Last edited:

JenniferS

I, uh, had an oops with the snow powers.

And my mom is painting the downstairs bathroom and I wanted her to go with me, so until that's done sometime next week, not happening. That, or I'll drag my brother out next week. Or force a friend to go with me.
Or, you could go alone.
Whenever I go solo, I hit a matinee. Not so bad.

donaldtoo

Flying out of Pearson (the world's most expensive airport due to fees, taxes and levies), we paid $1200 per person (x4) in 2003 dollars. Plus it would have been more than $200 for parking. Luckily my dad (God, I miss him!!) dropped us off and picked us up.

Holy cannoli! :eek:
When the 5 of us (DW, myself, and 3 DKiddos) first went in '01 we payed $198 round trip for each of us on Southwest.
Our most recent trip this past June wasn't much more, actually... $258 round trip for each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom