Where in the World is Bob Saget?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acishere

I'm going to rant a bit here. So around here, when you get an underage (drinking), you are forced to take this "class". Well, this girl posted her certificate of completion on Facebook, and was happy about it. Then comments are saying "OMG. CONGRATS!!" Like you should be celebrating a class you have to take for underage drinking?? And worse yet, they class is actually fun according to what I've heard. If you answer a question (even a real easy/stupid question), you get a $5 gift card for gas. By the end of the class, some people recoup the money they had to pay to take the class. Makes no sense.
Where I went to college freshman year was really strict about drinking and made you take a similar class. Just no gift cards, refunds, or fun. Just fines, academic probation, and required counseling. The result was people doing some really dumb stuff to avoid the public safety officers. College students are going to drink and I don't think any rules will ever stop that. Maybe making the class less of a punishment reduces the number of dumb things people do to avoid getting caught.

donaldtoo

I'm made of Titanium.

Oh my! Now you've done it...!!! :eek: ;)
LaserPhoto5.jpg

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I'm going to rant a bit here. So around here, when you get an underage (drinking), you are forced to take this "class". Well, this girl posted her certificate of completion on Facebook, and was happy about it. Then comments are saying "OMG. CONGRATS!!" Like you should be celebrating a class you have to take for underage drinking?? And worse yet, they class is actually fun according to what I've heard. If you answer a question (even a real easy/stupid question), you get a $5 gift card for gas. By the end of the class, some people recoup the money they had to pay to take the class. Makes no sense.

Ahh college life. My DS got a drinking ticket the first week he was in college in Kenosha WI. The $25 dollar fine actually appeared on his monthly fee statement. :greedy:

The second ticket he got was after he transfered out of hell and to a State University in Illinois. This time he was of age and broke the law by drinking on public property. He had a beer in his hand one evening was taking a garbage bag to the alley to put into the garbage can, so not walking around but stepped 2 feet onto public property from the backyard of his house. $575 including court fees. He couldn't just pay it, it was a MUST APPEAR.

My opinion is likely the same as the girls class. It isn't so much about the drinking, it is about the schools and college towns revenue building on the backs of students. They certainly pass out enough liquor licences.

At U of I they celebrate UnOfficial (St. Patricks day.) The campus has around 35,000 students. On UnOfficial they have maybe 80,000. My DS would always go over to U of I for UnOfficial. The drinking starts by the latest dawn on Friday morning. Students often dress in allaborate costumes that match. The Vikings pack ran through my DD 8am class one year, another cheerleaders (guys), I could go on but it is a fun google. At U of I students can go to the bar at 19 just so the don't drink. Yeah right. They do bar busts and make thousands of dollars a month. Why make it OK for a 19 to enter if you want to stop underaged?

Gabe1

Now who has zero tolerance for drinking in housing is the Disney College Program. When caught it is gone by next day. No inquiry, no appeal, gone. My son lived in the party campus of Vista Way the first time. Yeah there was many ways to lets say skirt the system but you best not put yourself into a position to get caught.

donaldtoo

OK, everyone's raggin' me :rolleyes: ;) to get my beeeeehind out the door for some dinner at Catfish Parlour!!! :hungry:Yes, that's a REAL restaurant down here!!! :joyfull:
Hope to be back later...!
Have a happy...!!! :)

acishere

OK, everyone's raggin' me :rolleyes: ;) to get my beeeeehind out the door for some dinner at Catfish Parlour!!! :hungry:Yes, that's a REAL restaurant down here!!! :joyfull:
Hope to be back later...!
Have a happy...!!! :)
That actually sounds delicious. We're having dinner at a whiskey distillery for dinner in a little bit. For the food, I promise. Although we are going to order a tasting of their products for dessert.

PUSH

Original Poster
Ahh college life. My DS got a drinking ticket the first week he was in college in Kenosha WI. The $25 dollar fine actually appeared on his monthly fee statement. :greedy:

The second ticket he got was after he transfered out of hell and to a State University in Illinois. This time he was of age and broke the law by drinking on public property. He had a beer in his hand one evening was taking a garbage bag to the alley to put into the garbage can, so not walking around but stepped 2 feet onto public property from the backyard of his house. $575 including court fees. He couldn't just pay it, it was a MUST APPEAR.

My opinion is likely the same as the girls class. It isn't so much about the drinking, it is about the schools and college towns revenue building on the backs of students. They certainly pass out enough liquor licences.

At U of I they celebrate UnOfficial (St. Patricks day.) The campus has around 35,000 students. On UnOfficial they have maybe 80,000. My DS would always go over to U of I for UnOfficial. The drinking starts by the latest dawn on Friday morning. Students often dress in allaborate costumes that match. The Vikings pack ran through my DD 8am class one year, another cheerleaders (guys), I could go on but it is a fun google. At U of I students can go to the bar at 19 just so the don't drink. Yeah right. They do bar busts and make thousands of dollars a month. Why make it OK for a 19 to enter if you want to stop underaged?
Here, if you are at a party and you're underage, and there is drinking, you will get a ticket no matter what. Even if you haven't even touched a can or bottle. They consider it "guilty by association".

PUSH

Original Poster
Irony, If you look at the top 100 party schools for the most part they are very highly rated colleges. These students know when to have fun and when to buckled down.

http://www.fastweb.com/student-life/articles/3641-the-list-is-out-top-10-party-schools-of-2013

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/top-party-schools-2013-14_n_3707912.html
Haven't found my school on any list. No surprise because it's a small school of about 9,000 students. I did look at one list and UW-Whitewater is on there. My brother almost chose to go there, and my mom went there for some classes. As for here, it's considered a "party school", but only because there is nothing else to do. I guess Whitewater is the same way.

acishere

Here, if you are at a party and you're underage, and there is drinking, you will get a ticket no matter what. Even if you haven't even touched a can or bottle. They consider it "guilty by association".
The first place I went to was the same way. Probably just as small as yours also. You could be asleep in your bed and your suite mates are drinking in the living room. You get a violation.

Then I transferred to a big 30,000+ student school and if you don't live there, you just leave when a party is busted. Never got carded leaving a busted party until my senior year and was 21.

Gabe1

And there is a fine right? Revenue.

Gabe1

Haven't found my school on any list. No surprise because it's a small school of about 9,000 students. I did look at one list and UW-Whitewater is on there. My brother almost chose to go there, and my mom went there for some classes. As for here, it's considered a "party school", but only because there is nothing else to do. I guess Whitewater is the same way.

And that is why 90% of students are in a fraternity or sorority there that are not locals living at home. They find out where they can have fun without falling victim to the local revenue stream. Or many of these 'strict' law enforcement laws schools wind up being, Revolving doors. Look at what your local university 4 year graduating rate is. When my DS bolted from his Private College in Kenosha he was bored out of his wits. They'd often hit up Parkside down the road. Academically it was a fine match but socially Oh My Goodness, I would have wanted to jump from the roof. What the school officials considered fun activities, him not so much. He went and did the college program at Disney came back and went off to an IL state university. Much happier. My DD only really considered Big Ten Schools or Solid Private Universities. Her final choices were between U of I and Tulane and it was almost a flip of the coin. Tulane gave a larger percentage in scholarship, she was offered 90% of $55,000 a year. Now that is a fun school and the President of the school flat out told us it was part of the culture. Yet they are ranked very high in the Best Schools in the United States.

I believe if you want students to excel you got to back off somewhat, let them be college students, let them mature instead of trying to stomp the adult out of them. It isn't high school. And I was bright enough to send them off to college without their cars, they stayed in my driveway collecting snow.

PUSH

Original Poster
I lied with my school size. It's actually 8,000 students (7,648 to be exact). 9,000 is what they want to hit next year, although the campus is already crowded enough, and they barely have enough classrooms for all the classes, and they better build parking lots because the lots are crazy. Anywho...

Some stats according to colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com:

66% male, 34% female

94% of undergraduate men are part of a frat
92% of women are part of a sorority

37% of students have cars on campus

4-year graduating rate: 19%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom