When staying on property, which makes the most sense?

When staying on property, which makes the most sense?

• Total voters

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
Chalk up another vote for Moderates. I couldn't justify the price of a Deluxe with your situation/mindset, but I still feel the Moderates get you out of that "barely above Motel 6" feeling I have in many (not all, but many) of the Value rooms.

I'm not old, but as I've gotten "older", I've definitely come to appreciate the feeling of being in a somewhat nicer room and hotel atmosphere, even if it's just in the morning when I'm getting ready to go to the parks and at night when I'm getting back and ready to go to bed.
Hmmm, this got me thinking. All of my trips to Disney were as an adult, but before I could really afford it. It's been literally a dozen years since returning, and since then have had a little success. I only started traveling for work since my last visit, and I've become accustomed to moderate hotels. Maybe staying in "barely above Motel 6" wouldn't really suit me anymore.
View attachment 544595

PSM

Hmmm, this got me thinking. All of my trips to Disney were as an adult, but before I could really afford it. It's been literally a dozen years since returning, and since then have had a little success. I only started traveling for work since my last visit, and I've become accustomed to moderate hotels. Maybe staying in "barely above Motel 6" wouldn't really suit me anymore.
View attachment 544595
I stayed in most of the Value and Moderates as a kid - some many times - and some of each as an adult, and I find it becomes more and more true the older I get (first trip when I was 8 weeks old in the 80s, one or two most years through my childhood and teens, then many trips in my 20s and 30s).

As a kid, I didn't really notice the difference from trip to trip bouncing back and forth between hotel "levels", but I started to in my 20s, and I definitely do now by my mid-30s. I imagine it will only become more noticeable as I get older, especially now that I have young kids and things like space make a difference in your experience. But even when my wife and I travel alone, I feel the same way, so it's definitely a quality/amenities thing, too.

There are exceptions, such as the family suites at Art of Animation, which have great theming, a lot of room, and a second bathroom, but most Value rooms are a far cry from those. Even some of the Moderates may be "nicer" but can't match what those rooms offer for a family of four, especially if you need a crib or have others visiting with you in the rooms. And you're basically paying Moderate prices, so it doesn't really count as Value rooms.

Hcalvert

I'm a little surprised that "the Budgets" won, or at least are ahead on this question. Based on what I read on these boards I was absolutely expecting them to be crushed rather than reaffirming my person opinion. Like I said, it's just a place to put my head down and don't really spend time in the hotel otherwise. Leave first thing for the parks, and don't come back until after close. I realize though that had the question just been a straight up comparison, it likely would've had a different outcome. ;)
I have never paid $400/night for a deluxe villa. For my upcoming June trip, I paid on average $275/night for a 7-night stay at Copper Creek and an 6-night stay at Boardwalk Villas. I could have stayed at Coronado for about $230/night with parking and the AP room discount, but we like having a kitchenette and the approximity to MK and EPCOT and it was worth the extra $45/night we are spending.

Last edited:

CosmicRays

I know I am late to the party but I would recommend Art of Animation since you enjoyed POP. I think it is better in every way. I think the theming is better (some would say gaudy though), the food court is better and the newer rooms seem better. It does cost a little more - I priced in September just to see and AOA is 228$ vs POP 191$.

unmitigated disaster

View attachment 544595
Once again, the Value resorts are not "barely above Motel 6"; they have too many amenities.

24 housekeeping (and I am guessing maintenance) and security. Swimming pools, landscaping (it ain't cheap), a bar, free outdoor movies, a gift shop, the food court including pizza delivery until midnight or whenever - yeah, sure they lose on not having free coffee and a danish in the lobby in the morning, but not having a continental breakfast at a resort is not unheard of. The resort I work at does not.

LittleMerman

To me it depends on how long you're staying and how often you go (and of course your salary/budget). But also your personal value on it - even if you can afford to stay a week at a deluxe hotel, do you think it's worth that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom