When staying on property, which makes the most sense?

When staying on property, which makes the most sense?

• Total voters

NelleBelle

I think location-wise, I would definitely do the Swolphin over any of the value resorts...hands down! But that's just my opinion and what works for my family. No way would by boys who are both over 6-ft (and one is only 14 and still growing like a weed) fit in those double beds. And I'm used to sleeping in a king, so moving to a queen is sacrifice enough (LOL)! Being able to walk to Epcot and HS is what pushed my decision to stay at YC this upcoming trip as a splurge for me and my mom. Her request was to avoid using buses as much as we could, so that narrowed that down. Plus, that area is very lovely. Just wish the boardwalk was a little more "happenin''" right now. Very sad Ample Hills is no more, Jelly Rolls shuttered...sigh. Must do another trip when all the new rides are finally complete!!!

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
First, I'd like to thank all of you for answering the question as asked. I'm pleasantly surprised that many of you have actually answered the question about what makes sense when not spending much time at the hotel. This thread has been hugely helpful!
You didn't put Moderate REsorts on your list. Is there a reason?
I vote for POR as a great resort with beautiful grounds. It is our family resort and we love it.
Maybe the Moderates are something to consider?
If you want the skyliner, then that's another thing. That is not important to us, so POR/POFQ it is for us,, whenever they open up.
For just the 2 of you, you could do the value resorts, but at our older age, we like the comfort of the rooms and amenities at POR. If we were younger and on the go all the time, then value would be it.
To answer your first question in one word... ignorance. 😳 Until I posted this thread, I had never inquired or researched it. When I was in my 20s and very early 30s I simply couldn't afford more than the value resorts with my crushing college debt, and have not stayed at any on-property resort outside that financial restriction. A decade later, I'm considering a first week-long trip maybe later this year and now I can afford the haughty resorts, but didn't realize there was a moderate option. 😁 Duh. How about some common sense, Pepper's. 🤪

That said, I've added "moderate" as an option, and anyone can change their vote if desired.

Some folks have pointed out that the choice is "obvious" since I spend little time at the hotel other than with eyes closed and snoring. I disagree with that thought in general. I don't know what I don't know. Not ever having stayed at a mod or high-end Disney resort, I have no idea if shuttle/busing/monorail/other service etc makes any other resort superior and worth the extra $$. If I'm not spending extra time there, but someone tells me that for the extra $200/night shuttle wait times to get to/from is non-existent at a higher priced resort, that could be worth it.

NelleBelle

Definitely worth it for us to be able to avoid the bus lines at the MK at closing! We did have a tough time trying to decide if we wanted CR so we could just walk back from MK at the end of the evening. But we ultimately went with YC so we could walk back from two parks instead of one (plus the pool at the YC won hands-down)!!

Hcalvert

Another option is to look into renting DVC points. That way, you can stay at a Deluxe Resort, but at a discounted price (we have yet to do this, but I'm thinking we'll seriously consider it for our next trip).
We have been doing this for years and actually prefer it. In July 2020, we stayed at Poly and Jambo (average $250/night). In December 2020, Kidaini ($175/night during the Christmas week), and our next trip in June 2021, we are staying at Copper Creek and Boardwalk (both new resorts for us at about $230/night). I only book them if I can get them near the price or cheaper than a moderate with a discount and factoring in the $20/night parking fee (remember: DVC guests do not get charged for parking). I am sure we can get a better deal offsite, but we like our choices.

Miss Bella

Gran Destino is about $100 more per night than the other moderates. I'd put it as the worst value, not the best.

Have you been to Caribbean Beach recently? The whole thing has been redone, including the rooms and the common areas. With the Skyliner, it's also arguably the most convenient of *any* resort.
Indoor corridors, several restaurants including a signature one on the top floor with an incredible view, a nice bar out on the water and a sports bar and a gym. Yes it's more expensive than the other mods, but it offers more. I would classify it somewhere between a mod and deluxe, but if your looking for a resort that's a little more deluxe without the higher price it fits the bill.

I'm not sure where you come up with the 100 a night. In April CBR is 232 and Gran Destino 267.00. In January Gran Destino was significantly less than CBR with the Disney Visa offer.

The rooms at CBR have not been redone in a few years and they do not have the rainforest showerheads and walk in showers.

CaptainAmerica

We have been doing this for years and actually prefer it. In July 2020, we stayed at Poly and Jambo (average $250/night). In December 2020, Kidaini ($175/night during the Christmas week), and our next trip in June 2021, we are staying at Copper Creek and Boardwalk (both new resorts for us at about $230/night). I only book them if I can get them near the price or cheaper than a moderate with a discount and factoring in the $20/night parking fee (remember: DVC guests do not get charged for parking). I am sure we can get a better deal offsite, but we like our choices.
How did you manage that? A Kidani standard view studio during Christmas week is 22 points per night. If you're saying you rented points at $8 per point, you must have found the dumbest DVC member on the planet. Standard rental rates through the bigger companies are $19 per point paid by the buyer and $14.50 per point received by the seller.

aamove

We have stayed at the moderates and since we bought DVC we have stayed at most of those resorts. We have paid cash, used our points and actually rented points when we needed to. If you want something close to the MK, I would go for the monorail resorts Poly, GF or the Contemporary or BLT. Epcot or Disney Studios we have stayed at Beach Club or Boardwalk. And we also like OKW and SSR (which is our home resort).

Hcalvert

How did you manage that? A Kidani standard view studio during Christmas week is 22 points per night. If you're saying you rented points at $8 per point, you must have found the dumbest DVC member on the planet. Standard rental rates through the bigger companies are $19 per point paid by the buyer and $14.50 per point received by the seller.
The member's points were expiring and he had to use them up since they couldn't be banked. I rented privately. In fact, I have always rented privately in the past. The Copper Creek reservation is the first time that I went through a company.

Last edited:

NelleBelle

The member's points were expiring and he had to use them up since they couldn't be banked. I rented privately. In fact, I have always rented privately in the past. The Copper Creek reservation is the first time that I went through a company.
Just out of curiosity, where do you find private renters that you would trust (unless you know them personally)?

MotherofaPrincessLover

Just out of curiosity, where do you find private renters that you would trust (unless you know them personally)?
There are some rental groups on Facebook. I guess the transactions are never 100% safe, but you should be able to research the person and ask them for referrals. There were some great deals going on the end of last year.

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
I'm a little surprised that "the Budgets" won, or at least are ahead on this question. Based on what I read on these boards I was absolutely expecting them to be crushed rather than reaffirming my person opinion. Like I said, it's just a place to put my head down and don't really spend time in the hotel otherwise. Leave first thing for the parks, and don't come back until after close. I realize though that had the question just been a straight up comparison, it likely would've had a different outcome. ;)

aliceismad

I'm a little surprised that "the Budgets" won, or at least are ahead on this question. Based on what I read on these boards I was absolutely expecting them to be crushed rather than reaffirming my person opinion. Like I said, it's just a place to put my head down and don't really spend time in the hotel otherwise. Leave first thing for the parks, and don't come back until after close. I realize though that had the question just been a straight up comparison, it likely would've had a different outcome. ;)
The budgets are obviously much more affordable for most people, and I would guess that most people have no interest in spending $400 on a hotel per night for deluxes.

Mr Mindcrime

Like I said, it's just a place to put my head down and don't really spend time in the hotel otherwise. Leave first thing for the parks, and don't come back until after close.
These comments however, shed a different light on the question. "How" you vacation and tour parks makes a difference in how you answer the question.

We used to be rope droppers till they kicked us out of the parks so yes, our hotel was basically a shower and a pillow. These days (at least pre -covid) we spend less frequent and more targeted time in the parks, we park hop, we spend time exploring the resort or taking a nap, and convenience to parks is a much bigger factor. Now that our kids are not kids, our resort tastes have changed.

UNCgolf

The budgets are obviously much more affordable for most people, and I would guess that most people have no interest in spending $400 on a hotel per night for deluxes.

$400 a night for a deluxe? That would be an absolute steal these days! More likely to pay $600+ even with a discount.

dmw

In the Parks
No
$400 a night for a deluxe? That would be an absolute steal these days! More likely to pay $600+ even with a discount.
When the timing is right, there can be a sale on Deluxe. We got a $438.75/night rate at the Poly in August 2019, with very little advance booking. I started looking for a deal as soon as I was confirmed for the SW:GE passholder event. The rate was booked less than 30 days from arrival. Just very lucky, I guess.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
You're not confined to the property in which you stay. I've stayed at POR for a week and spent a lot of my time at the Poly, Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge.

It's about a 10 minute $15 Uber and you can always use Disney Transportation if you don't mind the time it takes. Disney is one, big resort. Regardless of where you sleep. You have access to all of it.

PSM

Chalk up another vote for Moderates. I couldn't justify the price of a Deluxe with your situation/mindset, but I still feel the Moderates get you out of that "barely above Motel 6" feeling I have in many (not all, but many) of the Value rooms.

I'm not old, but as I've gotten "older", I've definitely come to appreciate the feeling of being in a somewhat nicer room and hotel atmosphere, even if it's just in the morning when I'm getting ready to go to the parks and at night when I'm getting back and ready to go to bed.

Obviously, you can throw all of that out the window if budget is truly the primary concern. In that case, just go Value and enjoy the theming and being "in the bubble". I'd take a WDW vacation at a Value any time over not going to WDW. And I'm also with you in that I'd take a WDW vacation at a Value resort over staying at a nicer but cheaper hotel off-property. For me, there is no replacement for staying on-property. It's just a feeling it gives me personally that I don't get off-property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom