When staying on property, which makes the most sense?

When staying on property, which makes the most sense?

• Total voters

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
As always, I apologize in advance if this subject has been done to death, and I'm sure it has. I just couldn't find anything that really helped me. Please feel free to post a link to another thread that covers this if you know of one.

So, I haven't been back to Disney for longer than a single day for about 12 years, and it's been 13 since I last stayed on property. Back in the 2000s, I wasn't as financially "comfortable" and my wife and I would stay at the budget hotels for our trips, generally the Sports, Movies, and then eventually we preferred the Pop Century after it opened. I know they're not spectacular, but it was what we could afford and we spent literally all day at the parks. We only slept at the hotel. We figured, why spend so much on a place to sleep. Honestly, I really enjoyed the atmosphere too. There's a certain energy with all the kids and families. Also, we only went in the "off-season" after kids went back to school in late Sept, so using the shuttles wasn't unbearable.

I'd like to go back in the "near future" after COVID becomes less of a thing. I'm a little more financially comfortable, but I still like the charm of the Pop, at least the Pop circa 2008. I have no idea what it's like now, but assuming it's similar.

I know I'll get a broad range of responses, many urging the premium hotels are the bomb. I'm just curious if the (guessing) 2x to 3x the price is really worth it when staying mostly just for sleeping? I can't imagine we'd spend any more time in the hotel. What's the point? We're there for the parks, not to stay in the hotel room. Please vote and I ask anyone, but especially those who've tried both flavors, budget and "luxury", to chime in on what you think.

Btw, we did try staying just off property and driving in. Although the hotel was nicer and cheaper, it really detracted from the overall experience IMO. I didn't enjoy that trip nearly as much for some reason, so no, I'm not considering staying off property.

UNCgolf

If you're not going to stay off-property, and you're only planning to be at the hotel to sleep, there's probably not a major reason to go for a premium resort. I'm also with you that staying on-property is part of the whole experience for me -- I know I could save money staying elsewhere, but that would significantly detracts from a visit for me.

I'm usually not at the hotel very much either, but I do love the more elaborate theming you get at the higher end resorts. I think Port Orleans (I prefer Riverside, but a lot of people love French Quarter) is a good compromise. It's nowhere near as expensive as the deluxe resorts, but it's much quieter/prettier than any of the values. It's a good middle ground between price and theme/peacefulness, and is a step above the rest of the moderates IMO.

You should be aware that Disney has jacked the prices so high that even the moderates like POR can be $300+ a night. That doesn't seem quite so bad when the values are over $200, though. There are times when POR is barely more expensive than Pop Century despite being a significantly better hotel.

Last edited:

Marden

Depends on your family, I suppose, and if you'd actually use any of the amenities.

We only stay off-property when we go. It's aggravating to look at the on-property numbers, doing the math, and realizing we could have rented a house for a week (20 minutes from the gates).

JIMINYCR

It depends all upon your circumstances. We budget for the trip we want, which includes the better resort. We save for the nicer room, the theming, the surroundings etc. and stay away from the resorts that may have/ attract lots of unruly tour groups or sports teams. If we cant come up with the money for what we want, we will delay the trip. For some people they just want to be at WDW and where they sleep doesnt matters because they are spending most time at the parks and where they sleep isnt a factor. If staying budget resort gets you there, wont break the bank, and thats what counts most, then go that route. If you go away entertained, well rested, and happy with what you got out of your time, your vacation is a success no matter how you do it.

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
All great points. I mean, I can afford a premium resort, but does it make sense to pay an additional $2k or $3k for 7 or 8 days with no kids, no hanging out at the pool really, etc... just sleeping, grabbing a bagel, and going to the parks (occasionally hopping to/fro the other parks), and then going back at 10p/11p. Again, these are circa-2000s assumptions. I realize park hours have changed both in the last decade, and especially during COVID. Sounds like I've made up mind, but I really haven't. I really like hearing other's points, and since I've never stayed at a premium, maybe there are conveniences I'm not aware of that make the additional $s worth it. Does the boat from the Poly make for much quicker exit in the evening from MK? I think that's only good for the 2 days we normally spend at MK. Is the monorail tremendously more efficient than the bus system? Yada, yada.

Btw, I don't mind the sound of "fun" around us in general. As long as there isn't screaming through the night outside the room, that shouldn't be an issue I don't think.

Chi84

Premium Member
We're DVC so we stay mostly at the deluxe resorts, especially SSR, OKW and Kidani. I can honestly say I prefer the moderates for room layout and gorgeous landscaping. Some of the DVC rooms are a little too much like home - one sink basin instead of two, not enough closet space, etc. Port Orleans Riverside, French Quarter and Caribbean Beach are gorgeous hotels. When we do cash stays, we always choose the moderates.

When we first started going as a family, we saved money by staying at the value resorts and loved them, too. I agree that staying off site is not as good, but we were staying at the Holiday Inn, not the Four Seasons.

mpaulam

In the Parks
No
IMO, and what we have done. If it's a relatively short trip (5-7) days, and it's a cooler time of year (usually shorter park hours)when you don't feel the need for an afternoon break from the heat and humidity, I'd go Value for just 2 people. Spend the $$ you save on souvenirs ;)
If it's a longer stay, or during the hot, humid times(usually longer park hours), I would go for a moderate. Take a mid day break to enjoy the pool or a nap.

graphite1326

The only plus I see right now with staying on property is the bus transportation to and from the parks. Staying off property, although I never have stayed at one that offered shuttle service to the parks, I would probably drive to the TTC or the park I would be going to for the day.

CaptainAmerica

My opinion:
  • Value
    • Worth It
      • Art of Animation Family Suites
      • Art of Animation Standard Room
    • Not Worth It
      • Pop Century
      • All Star Sports
      • All Star Movies
      • All Star Music
  • Moderate
    • Worth It
      • Caribbean Beach Standard Room
      • Port Orleans Riverside Standard Room
      • Port Orleans French Quarter
      • Fort Wilderness Cabins
    • Not Worth It
      • Caribbean Beach Pirate Room
      • Port Orleans Riverside Royal (Princess) Room
      • Coronado Springs
  • Deluxe
    • Worth It
      • Animal Kingdom Lodge Standard View
      • Wilderness Lodge
      • Contemporary (Garden Wing)
      • Saratoga Springs
      • Old Key West
    • Not Worth It
      • Animal Kingdom Lodge Savanna View
      • Boardwalk
      • Grand Floridian
      • Contemporary (Tower)
      • Yacht Club
      • Polynesian
      • Beach Club
      • Riviera

UNCgolf

My opinion:
  • Value
    • Worth It
    • Not Worth It
      • Pop Century
      • All Star Sports
      • All Star Movies
      • All Star Music
  • Moderate
    • Worth It
      • Fort Wilderness Cabins
    • Not Worth It
      • Coronado Springs
  • Deluxe
    • Worth It
      • Wilderness Lodge
      • Saratoga Springs
      • Old Key West
    • Not Worth It
      • Boardwalk
      • Grand Floridian
      • Contemporary (Tower)
      • Yacht Club
      • Polynesian
      • Beach Club
      • Riviera

I usually stay in the Royal Guest rooms at POR, although I understand saying they're not worth it. I think room design is way over the top and prefer the design of normal POR rooms, but the location of the Royal Guest rooms is the best at the resort. They're very close to the lobby/food court and two bus stops, and you can walk to the French Quarter in about 10 minutes if you want to do something over there (I think their food court is better, especially for breakfast).

Skibum1970

My opinion:
  • Value
    • Worth It
    • Not Worth It
      • Pop Century
      • All Star Sports
      • All Star Movies
      • All Star Music
  • Moderate
    • Worth It
      • Fort Wilderness Cabins
    • Not Worth It
      • Coronado Springs
  • Deluxe
    • Worth It
      • Wilderness Lodge
      • Saratoga Springs
      • Old Key West
    • Not Worth It
      • Boardwalk
      • Grand Floridian
      • Contemporary (Tower)
      • Yacht Club
      • Polynesian
      • Beach Club
      • Riviera

Completely agree with this. Well stated. For us, if we're going to stay onsite, we typically want to pay more to stay at what we perceive to be better resorts. I've long felt that Port Orleans (FQ or Riverside) probably hits the sweet spot perfectly. With it closed, we stayed at Wilderness Lodge and fully enjoyed it as usual. If I were trying for budget and the All-Star or Animation hotels were my choices, I would probably stay offsite for a hotel in a similar price range. Again, all of this is dependent on personal preference. The resort is part of our vacation and not simply a place to sleep and thus we value it differently.

CaptainAmerica

I usually stay in the Royal Guest rooms at POR, although I understand saying they're not worth it. I think room design is way over the top and prefer the design of normal POR rooms, but the location of the Royal Guest rooms is the best at the resort. They're very close to the lobby/food court and two bus stops, and you can walk to the French Quarter in about 10 minutes if you want to do something over there (I think their food court is better, especially for breakfast).
Those Royal Rooms are way too close in price to Animal Kingdom Lodge Standard View for my liking. Add to that the fact that Deluxe resorts tend to get better discounts than the Moderates, and it's even closer.

UNCgolf

Those Royal Rooms are way too close in price to Animal Kingdom Lodge Standard View for my liking. Add to that the fact that Deluxe resorts tend to get better discounts than the Moderates, and it's even closer.

I'm sure it depends on the time of year, too. I've only stayed there in January/February and the rooms were $200 less per night than anything available at the Deluxes.

UNCgolf

I think Caribbean Beach is the current King of Moderates with the Skyliner hub.

Yeah, I think POR is a much better resort overall than Caribbean Beach for multiple reasons, but if you're interested in the Skyliner it probably pushes CBR over the top. I don't like the Skyliner so CBR doesn't move the needle for me, but that's a huge a perk for a lot of people.

Weather_Lady

All WDW hotels are pricy, so I make it my policy never to stay at rack rate.

The moderates are a good middle-ground (we've really enjoyed stays at Caribbean Beach Resort, Coronado Springs, and Port Orleans Riverside) if there's a room discount or other offer that brings down the price a little.

Better yet, if you're planning far enough out and are comfortable with an arrangement that can't be discounted or easily changed/canceled, I'd consider renting DVC points to stay at a deluxe. (By doing this, we've been able to stay at places like the Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge, both of which I highly recommend, and the Beach Club, which was just okay but still nicely appointed, for less than the rack rate at a moderate resort for the same dates. We also splurged on the Polynesian for a few nights as part of a split stay, and although the amount we paid was high in comparison to other resorts, by renting DVC points we still paid 33% less for our DVC studio than a guest staying in a standard room at rack rate would have paid.)

Last edited:

DisneyNittany

I'll echo the "Moderates are a good middle-ground" take as well. We absolutely love both French Quarter and Coronado Springs. I can easily see why @CaptainAmerica listed Coronado in the "Not Worth It' category, but we really enjoyed the new Coronado and it's offerings a lot. We also are Marriott people, so when we aren't staying at a Disney-owned property, we stay at the Swan and Dolphin (this is probably our favorite because of the combination of price + location + Marriott perks), but I believe they've cut back on their Disney collaborative services (i.e. resort buses), so not sure if they're currently worth it (you can easily walk to Yacht or Boardwalk for bus service though).

Another option is to look into renting DVC points. That way, you can stay at a Deluxe Resort, but at a discounted price (we have yet to do this, but I'm thinking we'll seriously consider it for our next trip).

EDIT: @Weather_Lady beat me to it.

Last edited:

plawren2

We tend to be in the parks from open to close, so spend little time at the resort. So we go with the budget hotels, especially Pop Century or AoA which have dedicated bus routes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom