When staying on property, which makes the most sense?

When staying on property, which makes the most sense?

• Total voters

DisneyNittany

The lack of any flexibility whatsoever is why I'd never seriously consider it.

Yeah, we've only ever submitted for a room to see what we could get, but never pulled the trigger. Back in our previous life, we traveled heavily for work, so just staying at S&D or using our points there made all the sense in the world. Then, we started to branch out a bit more and do the moderates.

So, like I've said, we've never actually done it, but the lack of flexibility has been a big reason why we haven't pulled the trigger. Although, we love the Crescent Lake area so damn much that I can see us giving it a try at Boardwalk or Yacht & Beach.

Dave B

If you are just staying in the room to sleep and shower and not going to the pool or hang out in downtime, then go with the cheaper room, doesn't even sound like a discussion is needed on this one

Last edited:

NelleBelle

We've pretty much only done mods and up. When DH and I first started going to WDW, we stayed off-site. The next time we went we had a toddler and a MIL that went so we chose POFQ and that became a favorite. We've also love POR as well. Over the years we've moved up into deluxe and renting points for bigger DVC units as we have 2 large teen boys that really can't share a bed--we either do this or get 2 moderate rooms that adjoin. Being the only girl in the family and sharing a bathroom with 3 boys?

My mom and I could have easily booked a value except that this was a special trip for her and with covid "hours" in effect, we definitely wanted a resort with a good pool that we could take advantage of when the parks closed early. So we booked YC. I'm sure if POFQ had been open, we would've strongly considered that resort as we both love it.

I think for you and your wife, you'll need to decide if moving up is something you want to try for your next trip. I'd definitely consider it only if there is a special/discount that makes it worthwhile. I totally would not pay rack rate, for any room at WDW right now (but that's my opinion).

Minnesota disney fan

You didn't put Moderate REsorts on your list. Is there a reason?
I vote for POR as a great resort with beautiful grounds. It is our family resort and we love it.
Maybe the Moderates are something to consider?
If you want the skyliner, then that's another thing. That is not important to us, so POR/POFQ it is for us,, whenever they open up.
For just the 2 of you, you could do the value resorts, but at our older age, we like the comfort of the rooms and amenities at POR. If we were younger and on the go all the time, then value would be it.

aliceismad

If I were going to the park all day and only using the room to sleep, I would stay off site. If I were going to experience the resort as well as the parks, I would consider onsite hotels. I enjoy the pool time and mid-day breaks, as well as the food options.

I don't feel like I would stay at a value resort anymore. I don't love the theming or location or amenities enough to pay more than an offsite hotel. Mayyyyybe Art of Animation, but for that cost, I might as well stay at a Moderate. I have stayed at an enjoyed the All-Stars, particularly Movies, but the distance to the parks and the lack of on-site perks right now would steer me offsite vs. and All Star.

I do enjoy the moderates and deluxes we have stayed at, and we have rented DVC points in the past. I would stay at any of those options again. Personally, I enjoy the theming and location of many of the resorts.

If we're talking logically, staying offsite makes the most sense from a budgeting perspective, but I'm not very logical when it comes to vacationing. It's the one thing I really save up for and treat myself to.

Last edited:

LovePop

As always, I apologize in advance if this subject has been done to death, and I'm sure it has. I just couldn't find anything that really helped me. Please feel free to post a link to another thread that covers this if you know of one.

So, I haven't been back to Disney for longer than a single day for about 12 years, and it's been 13 since I last stayed on property. Back in the 2000s, I wasn't as financially "comfortable" and my wife and I would stay at the budget hotels for our trips, generally the Sports, Movies, and then eventually we preferred the Pop Century after it opened. I know they're not spectacular, but it was what we could afford and we spent literally all day at the parks. We only slept at the hotel. We figured, why spend so much on a place to sleep. Honestly, I really enjoyed the atmosphere too. There's a certain energy with all the kids and families. Also, we only went in the "off-season" after kids went back to school in late Sept, so using the shuttles wasn't unbearable.

I'd like to go back in the "near future" after COVID becomes less of a thing. I'm a little more financially comfortable, but I still like the charm of the Pop, at least the Pop circa 2008. I have no idea what it's like now, but assuming it's similar.

I know I'll get a broad range of responses, many urging the premium hotels are the bomb. I'm just curious if the (guessing) 2x to 3x the price is really worth it when staying mostly just for sleeping? I can't imagine we'd spend any more time in the hotel. What's the point? We're there for the parks, not to stay in the hotel room. Please vote and I ask anyone, but especially those who've tried both flavors, budget and "luxury", to chime in on what you think.

Btw, we did try staying just off property and driving in. Although the hotel was nicer and cheaper, it really detracted from the overall experience IMO. I didn't enjoy that trip nearly as much for some reason, so no, I'm not considering staying off property.
I am a big fan of Pop, as my name suggests, so if you are still going to use the hotels mostly for sleeping, it's a good idea to continue to stay there. Extra money can be spent elsewhere, like a second Disney trip in the year.

LovePop

As always, I apologize in advance if this subject has been done to death, and I'm sure it has. I just couldn't find anything that really helped me. Please feel free to post a link to another thread that covers this if you know of one.

So, I haven't been back to Disney for longer than a single day for about 12 years, and it's been 13 since I last stayed on property. Back in the 2000s, I wasn't as financially "comfortable" and my wife and I would stay at the budget hotels for our trips, generally the Sports, Movies, and then eventually we preferred the Pop Century after it opened. I know they're not spectacular, but it was what we could afford and we spent literally all day at the parks. We only slept at the hotel. We figured, why spend so much on a place to sleep. Honestly, I really enjoyed the atmosphere too. There's a certain energy with all the kids and families. Also, we only went in the "off-season" after kids went back to school in late Sept, so using the shuttles wasn't unbearable.

I'd like to go back in the "near future" after COVID becomes less of a thing. I'm a little more financially comfortable, but I still like the charm of the Pop, at least the Pop circa 2008. I have no idea what it's like now, but assuming it's similar.

I know I'll get a broad range of responses, many urging the premium hotels are the bomb. I'm just curious if the (guessing) 2x to 3x the price is really worth it when staying mostly just for sleeping? I can't imagine we'd spend any more time in the hotel. What's the point? We're there for the parks, not to stay in the hotel room. Please vote and I ask anyone, but especially those who've tried both flavors, budget and "luxury", to chime in on what you think.

Btw, we did try staying just off property and driving in. Although the hotel was nicer and cheaper, it really detracted from the overall experience IMO. I didn't enjoy that trip nearly as much for some reason, so no, I'm not considering staying off property.
I think staying at Pop makes most sense to you. If you can afford more, how about eating at the various hotel restaurants, including the food courts? That way, you can admire the different hotels, eat, and still go back to sleep at Pop. The hotel rooms are basically the same, but the outside is where a Disney hotel outshines any other, and you can enjoy it by simply visiting the restaurant. (You can even visit without eating, but a man's got to eat.)

unmitigated disaster

I think the Values are fine, as long as you don't get stuck with a horde of cheerleaders or the like. We stay there since we're only there to sleep and are fine with just a pastry and milk in the morning.

eliza61nyc

As with all the others it just depends.

I've stayed off site for two trips. we hated it, so for us saving all this money and we did not enjoy our accommodations is actually a waste of money. My family is really good at counting so we are good at determining what's in the budget.

Since we generally go in the hot summer/early fall times we do use the resort amenities especially the pool. Now this was pre covid so not sure how it will pan out this trip. we generally would get to the parks by 9-9:30 but by 1 pm we were hot and sweaty so we headed back to our resort and chilled, refreshed and then headed back to another park for dinner and more fun. since I think hours are still very limited that option might not work for us this trip.

Next my family consisted of all sons and a husband who were all over 6ft tall and my late husband and I were on the "fluffy" side of life ;)so space was also an issue.

Have you considered the cabins at ft. Wilderness. my kids loved them when they were younger, we loved the price point and the space. I also like the moderates and that was a great alternative to the times before we became dvc members when our budget did not say deluxe.

dreski

We hit the parks hard everyday but we have mostly stayed at deluxe, Wilderness, Animal and Beach Club. Also have stayed at Caribbean Beach and POR. In Jan. will be making our first stay at Art of Animation and values. I truly believe it is in how you feel and budget, just sleeping in a bed is one thing. When we head back to the resorts I don't crash right away. I take a little time to wander around and for the most part the deluxe and moderate resorts all have been very pleasant atmosphere to just wander. I will also be the first one up so I will make my coffee in room but then use that coffee to wander to the lobbies and quick service to get more coffee. These quiet times seem to be the most relaxing compared to the hustle of running through the parks. We will see how it goes at a value, I don't get the same feeling looking at pictures of the grounds like I do with the deluxe and moderates. I will say Wilderness, Animal and POR have been the best to wander and relax late at night or early morning. The beds do feel different even between the deluxe and moderates, not sure if they are or not. They both are comfortable. I have heard that values have value type beds, not as comfortable.

MAYNARDS99

I would go with POP since you are not "experiencing" the resort. Yes, the deluxe are nicer, but for just sleeping and showering POP fits the bill. I think it's funny that one of our nicest rooms at CR was a standard parking lot view in the garden wing. It was great when one of the boats came by the same time a monorail passed overhead! The beds, and sheets for that matter, seem the same regardless of resort category.

Skibum1970

I have rented twice with good results. However, the lack of flexibility as well as (at that time) no cancellation policy gave me the willies. It is truly great savings as long as you can commit to the timing of your stay.

NelleBelle

We were nervous the first time we rented points, but I had to look at our vacation history and actually see how many times we actually had to cancel or move our vacation. And the fact was not once had we ever had to change our dates or airlines (well, once--that was after the birth of our 2nd son and neither he or I were cleared to travel to New Zealand due to ongoing health issues we both had...but we were cleared to travel to WDW)!
I have rented twice with good results. However, the lack of flexibility as well as (at that time) no cancellation policy gave me the willies. It is truly great savings as long as you can commit to the timing of your stay.
We've rented from David's and had great results. Everything went very smoothly and this was pre-covid. Like I mentioned above, I was quite nervous the first but I absolutely would not hesitate to do it again. Being able to book a 2-bd villa for the price we generally pay for 2 rooms at a mod but with all the space we get, totally worth it for us.

CaptainAmerica

We were nervous the first time we rented points, but I had to look at our vacation history and actually see how many times we actually had to cancel or move our vacation. And the fact was not once had we ever had to change our dates or airlines (well, once--that was after the birth of our 2nd son and neither he or I were cleared to travel to New Zealand due to ongoing health issues we both had...but we were cleared to travel to WDW)!
I've never cancelled or completely moved a trip, but I almost always tinker. I'll bounce between 7 and 8 nights, shift it a day earlier or a day later depending on flight availability and prices, that kind of thing.

aliceismad

You can get trip insurance that has a "cancel for any reason" policy. They're on the pricier side, and they usually don't pay back 100%. We always buys some sort of trip insurance for cruises, which don't pay you back if you have to cancel after a certain point. That said, I think both DVC Rental Store and David's both have some sort of system now where if you cancel, they'll give you a voucher for a later time. I'm sure there are restrictions, but I haven't looked closely.

Skibum1970

You can get trip insurance that has a "cancel for any reason" policy. They're on the pricier side, and they usually don't pay back 100%. We always buys some sort of trip insurance for cruises, which don't pay you back if you have to cancel after a certain point. That said, I think both DVC Rental Store and David's both have some sort of system now where if you cancel, they'll give you a voucher for a later time. I'm sure there are restrictions, but I haven't looked closely.

I bought it for my flight this year but flew without a parachute on those two trips. I'll probably do trip insurance the next time that I use the Rental Stores. I did see where they now offer a cancellation policy. Again, I have had good experiences with both Dave's and DVC Rental Store and would certainly use either one again.

Miss Bella

How about the Dolphin? I just booked it for 152.00 a night. For a comparison pop is 167.00 and the Yacht club 425.00 and that's with 35% off.
My favs are the one bedroom villas at Saratoga, and the Riviera, but those are only in my budget if it's value season with at least 35% off.

Gran Destino is by far the best moderate and really the best deal over all. There aren't enough words to describe how much I dislike caribbean beach. POR is meh.

CaptainAmerica

How about the Dolphin? I just booked it for 152.00 a night. For a comparison pop is 167.00 and the Yacht club 425.00 and that's with 35% off.
My favs are the one bedroom villas at Saratoga, and the Riviera, but those are only in my budget if it's value season with at least 35% off.

Gran Destino is by far the best moderate and really the best deal over all. There aren't enough words to describe how much I dislike caribbean beach. POR is meh.
Gran Destino is about $100 more per night than the other moderates. I'd put it as the worst value, not the best.

Have you been to Caribbean Beach recently? The whole thing has been redone, including the rooms and the common areas. With the Skyliner, it's also arguably the most convenient of *any* resort.

BASS

Let me offer a contrary opinion from the rest.

IMO, if you're going to spend a lot of time in the park, find a resort that will cut down on your travel time (or make it easier). The moderates are better than value in terms of accommodations, but largely the same transportation-wise so I wouldn't spend a little more for a moderate. If you are going to pay more, I'd strongly look at the hotels on the boardwalk (Boardwalk, Yacht/Beach Club, and Dolphin/Swan). You have a quick walk to Epcot. A longer-but doable-walk to Hollywood Studios. And boat to MK. As Luvmco posted, the Dolphin/Swan is a great suggestion, particularly since it tends to be the cheapest of the hotels I mentioned.

UNCgolf

I'd be willing to pay $50+ more a night to stay at POR over Gran Destino. I think POR is probably the best overall resort at WDW when using price as a factor -- while it's certainly not as nice as a hotel like the Animal Kingdom Lodge, you can save $1000+ on a week-long stay at POR vs. AKL.

It's all subjective, of course.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom