When is Spaceship Earth Supposed to Be Replaced?

PacMan2006

Original Poster
I still love this ride, and am going back this May, but I'm curious...about how much longer does Spaceship Earth have?

I heard rumors two years ago that it will be replaced by 2006? Is this true? Thanks.

Figment1986

It isn't going to get it's referbishment untill october i hear...

Then no one really knows whats going to happen yet..

(New sponsor What new sponsor.. their is no new sponsor :p :p :p :lol: :lookaroun )

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It will not be replaced as it is the Icon of the park. It may get a rehab, but the sphere will remain. Hopefully without the wand.

Also, I could be wrong, but I doubt they would start a rehab during the 50 year celebration.

CaliSurfer182

I know that SE's future is up in the air, but if they remove that ride then that's one less ride my 2 year old can go on, and there aren't that many at epcot to begin with.

Ducky_Love

hakunamatata said:
It will not be replaced as it is the Icon of the park. It may get a rehab, but the sphere will remain. Hopefully without the wand.

Ohhh... I hope, I hope, I hope!!! :sohappy:

Ducky!

PacMan2006

Original Poster
I know they won't tear down the ball...but I thought I heard they were going to build something brand new in the ball?

J

joviacdan

Why doesn't Disney turn World Showcase into a big go-cart track? Or better yet, just tear down Epcot all together?

I mean, they already did away with World Of Motion, Horizons, and now talk about Spaceship Earth???? Just get it over with, and put the poor park out of it's misery.

Zipadeedoodah

They should not do anything with this attraction. Spaceship Earth is one of my fav's. I can see some MINOR rehabs within the attraction...some updates maybe...but the general attraction should stay the same.. There aren't too many CLASSIC Disney attractions left. We need more dark rides, since they took most of em away!

GGETay

Looks like Time Racers is dead, for now.

Last revised schedule I saw had SE closing in December of '04, so until the success and sustaining power of the 50th is determined, we likely won't hear any more.

MartyMouse

Horizons WAS E.P.C.O.T., the entire attraction was based on the ideology of E.P.C.O.T. Center. Now that’s gone and the only attraction that holds the promise of a brighter future is Spaceship Earth – in that it starts in man’s dark past proceeds through our history into our future (sort-of) – if Spaceship Earth is to “change” I hope they change it to be more like Horizons.

The kids of today need a bright future to look forward to, and they need to be able to dream to be part of it. When I was growing up the Space Shuttle was a new thing, the promise of Star Trek was still fresh (before total commercialization), Tomorrowland still reflected tomorrow (some-what) and E.P.C.O.T. Center showed us that the “human adventure was just beginning”. Now there is very little in our society that gives today’s kids the hope of a better tomorrow where man meets technology and the future becomes a place of dreams un-dreamt. That, to me should be the mission of Future World at E.P.C.O.T. and I feel Disney has a responsibility to Walt to project that image, no matter what the stock holders might say.

dixiegirl

MartyMouse said:
Horizons WAS E.P.C.O.T., the entire attraction was based on the ideology of E.P.C.O.T. Center. Now that’s gone and the only attraction that holds the promise of a brighter future is Spaceship Earth – in that it starts in man’s dark past proceeds through our history into our future (sort-of) – if Spaceship Earth is to “change” I hope they change it to be more like Horizons.

The kids of today need a bright future to look forward to, and they need to be able to dream to be part of it. When I was growing up the Space Shuttle was a new thing, the promise of Star Trek was still fresh (before total commercialization), Tomorrowland still reflected tomorrow (some-what) and E.P.C.O.T. Center showed us that the “human adventure was just beginning”. Now there is very little in our society that gives today’s kids the hope of a better tomorrow where man meets technology and the future becomes a place of dreams un-dreamt. That, to me should be the mission of Future World at E.P.C.O.T. and I feel Disney has a responsibility to Walt to project that image, no matter what the stock holders might say.
wonderful wording mouse!! besides, i love that burning smell when you go through rome!! long live spaceship earth..(as is)

tn1999

My educated opinion (which comes from my understanding of Disney logic) is:

They will wait until Oct, Nov, Dec to start preparations for EPCOT's 25th. Unfortunetly it is forseeable that the wand will stay but the wording will change to something like '25 Years'. After the anniversary is over they will probably take it down, as there is symbolism with doin so AND they have milked the wand long enough.

SSE's tiles will probably get replaced since they look worn. If they will turn the castle into a birthday cake for MK's 25th, then they should atleast replace the tiles. Maybe different tiles? Like shiny metalic silver (Isn't a 25th anniversary the silver anniversary?) as compared to the current matte finish gray.
Multi colored tiles and/or new lighting effects (both on the exterior of SSE and pointed at SSE) are also cheap possibilities.

If they rehab the SSE ride starting in Nov. that will give them a good year of time. A lot can be done in a year. We know that the ride layout is essenital to the structure, which is why they couldn't completely gut it for the thrill ride idea, so I would imagine a completely fresh journey of communications through the ages.

Other possibilities for EPCOT:

Revamp Future World North (the entrance area up to about The Art of Disney and Guest Relations) including remodeling of the heavily outdated and falling apart Gateway Gifts, Camera Center, Gift Stop, Stroller/Wheelchair Rental, Leave a Legacy.
Maybe some new landscaping?

I could go on and on forever.

Any more ideas?

raven

tn1999 said:
Maybe different tiles? Like shiny metalic silver (Isn't a 25th anniversary the silver anniversary?) as compared to the current matte finish gray.
Multi colored tiles and/or new lighting effects (both on the exterior of SSE and pointed at SSE) are also cheap possibilities.

Cheap? :lol: I for one can tell you that lighting in not cheap what so ever. As far as the tiles go, don't think anything like that will be happening soon. Besides, the tiles were made to look like brushed metal in the first place to cut back a little on the glaring sun's reflection. It is supposed to have a matte finish to it. :wave:

PaisleyMF

raven said:
Cheap? :lol: I for one can tell you that lighting in not cheap what so ever. As far as the tiles go, don't think anything like that will be happening soon. Besides, the tiles were made to look like brushed metal in the first place to cut back a little on the glaring sun's reflection. It is supposed to have a matte finish to it. :wave:

Actually creating some light effects like MK Cinderelas Castle es cheaper than replacing the tiles, the just need some "Pani" Proyectors and some "Talaria" Proyectors and they can place whatever they want in the surface of the globe. Even the same light as the Castle and it will change colors

CrashNet

It so hard to figure out isn't it. I mean on one hand, you have the legacy and initial purpose behind EPCOT, the world of tomorrow. But then, on the other side, you have the harsh reality that Disney is having to change EPCOT to appeal to the masses. Its almost as if saying that the original idea was...a failure. :(

Scooter

I don't think Spaceship Earth is going to go anywhere...ever.

It's the most popular attraction in all of Disney World.
and besides...people would put up more of a fuss than they did about Mister Toads Wild Ride, Carrousel of Progress,and Journey into Your Imagination COMBINED if they announced the closing of this attraction for anything more than a refurbishment.

It's just too darn popular.

Pongo

Scooter said:
I don't think Spaceship Earth is going to go anywhere...ever.

It's the most popular attraction in all of Disney World.
and besides...people would put up more of a fuss than they did about Mister Toads Wild Ride, Carrousel of Progress,and Journey into Your Imagination COMBINED if they announced the closing of this attraction for anything more than a refurbishment.

It's just too darn popular.

I think people would give more of a fuss if SSE was torn down than if the Magic Kingdom was torn down.

Maybe not, but it would be close.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom