When is Spaceship Earth Supposed to Be Replaced?

Dizknee_Phreek

I.M.Fearless said:
Furthermore, I know for a fact that not ALL change is bad; just look at how many of you seem to enjoy the recent changes to the Living Seas, especially Turtle Talk.
That is true, but we've been complaining about the state of LS for several years, so ANY change would've been a good change.
I personally don't like to see "change" at WDW. Change usually equals bad. "Progress" on the other hand, is much better, and WDW has been doing very little of this for the past several years. They've gotten slightly better with things like Wishes, PhilharMagic, the coming Everest (which hopefully will not disappoint), etc. but mostly their changes have been rather poor in quality and Disney magic.
As for first-time guests, I'm sure you're right in saying that they are the large majority in park visitors. But those who visit the parks reguarly are typically those who are also shareholders. So, imo, Disney should listen equally to both parties...not try to pacify one while trying to please the other.

CSUFSteve

Epcot Character?

Yeah, as I said, I agree with whoever said we nostalgia types are quite obviously in the minority. The resurgence of interest in Epcot by all types (families, teens, etc.) is evidence of this. And I'm glad. Epcot deserves the attendance, IMO. But also I agree with those who have said there is a definite "loss" as a result of the transition. I think most of us know rationally that Epcot (like all Parks) can't function as a museum. In order for WDW to continue to get the high level of cash investment it does, it simply must continue to bring in the numbers.

Epcot's always been difficult for me because, aside from the original Disneyland, Epcot is my favorite park. And yet we all know Walt would be disappointed, if not in the actual park, at least in the fact that it bears the name "Epcot", when it's so clearly not what he intended. Yet, at the same time, in my mind, this is one of the most original Parks Disney has done and, frankly, a Park only Disney could do. It's part of why I love RoE because it so perfectly symbolizes what Epcot is all about.

As I said, it's just a shame that the way to bring in the multitudes is to reduce the element that tries to spark intellectual curiosity. Maybe, and I hope, Mission Space will do it for young people today. But as someone else said, it's a quick thrill and, yes, there's an educational aspect to it, but it's not sustained. The pre-show is minimal and you basically get in, spin around, and get out. The post-show is a lot of video games, no "if you want to know more" element like past Epcot attractions. Mission Space is totally fun, don't get me wrong, just part of Epcot's transition. Kinda the same with Test Track, although I think TT's queue is pretty educational. But the post-show blows. I'd rather see concept cars of the future anyday versus a giant GM showroom.

GenerationX

I would like this attraction a great deal more if it had a better finish. As it stands now, it's very educational, but kind of a letdown at the end. There's no build, no suspense. It doesn't lead to anything spectacular. A dazzling ending would surprise first-time riders and improve the experience for return riders because of the anticipation of a satisfying finish.

I'm looking for some really cool visual or auditory special effects that fit with the communication theme. That, to me, would make this a standout attraction.

PaisleyMF

the old EPCOT vs the new Epcot (see how they are writen)

Most of us are found of our good experiences, and as most people says "there is no better time like old time" We do enjoy this old classic rides and discoveries but Walt once said "It's something that will never be finished. Something that I can keep developing...and adding to." "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world." (Walt quotes on Disneyland).

When Walt envition EPCOT (Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow) was a place to Work, play and enjoy life (Walt's Utopia as some said). Walt Disney World has become EPCOT, There's a working place, there's a living community (Celebration) entretainmet (the parks, Pleasure Island) and so on.

To be ahead of their time is what we have now (Carousel of Progress, Pirates, Small World, and so on) but sometimes change is good (most of the times it is). But to change to grow sacrifices has to be made.

I know and love all the classics but i do love also the newer stuff. They lack of some of the original Disney Magic, but the is some. Let's be honest, how many love the new smell from a new car, or a pair of sneakers / walking shoes / sandals? How many like to have a new adventure each time you go to WDW.

Now they need to work on the story, is like a good book; begining, story, climax, end. They need to work on that, they need to study the classics and create newer classics. Just imagine to tell the story of our communications (the premises of SSE) from the point of view of a child / adult. Now lets change the omnimover with a newer version of omnimovers, remember Horizons they were "interactive" why not interact with the "mover" lets say audio (language) lets say, there is 3 movers with family, why not talk to them and interact (kinda like Pal Mikey) let's update to the newer Audioanimatronics. Lets bring a newer storyteller: James Earl Jones in English, in spanish Don Francisco and like that.

aimster

The rehab should BE the removal of that horrible eyesore wand. That and just sprucing up the animatronics, fixing the rickety old track (so noisy!) and updating the ending... and a new post-show.

But that's just what I think it should be. No idea what will really happen. Who knows? Maybe this supposed rehab in October won't even happen. Hard to say when it's just rumours you're going on.

RSoxNo1

EPCOT was designed to show our advancement as the human race. World of Motion showed our advancement in transportation, Spaceship Earth showed our advancement in communication, and Horizons showed advancement in agriculture and discovery. The pavilions themselves have held true to these themes. However, when they're placed in an area known as "Future World" this ideas must be updated.

WoM never had waits for it, and although it was an informative glimpse into our advancement from the wheel to vehicles of today it fell by the wayside to the modern thrill seekers. My guess is that it would still be around (in a form fairly similiar to it's retired state) had Mt. Fuji opened up in Japan. So if you're looking for someone to blame for the loss of WoM, I'd blame Kodak for not letting Fuji Camera/Film in the park.

The building for Horizons was structural unsafe. I'm not much for simulators, nor did I even ride Mission: Space last time I was at WDW, but this is an absolutely amazing ride. It continued with the exploration/discovery theme of Horizons and retained a concept similar to the old Horizon's attraction (interactive choices, even though in Mission: Space they dont' really do anything).

Spaceship Earth has showcased advancements in technology since the park's opening in 82. I wholeheartedly agree that the historic basis should not be altered but the ending should be. Perhaps fine tuning, smoother animatronics, things of that nature will certainly improve the ride. However, I highly doubt Disney will completely renovate the single most viewed attraction on the planet.

Take all these things into consideration, the updates and specualtion for new updates. Disney is trying to keep the front section of Epcot a Future World, not the Future of 1982 World.

Tim G

RSoxNo1 said:
They call me RSoxNo1... the thread killer.
3dbiggrin.gif

Dayma

RSoxNo1 said:
EPCOT was designed to show our advancement as the human race. World of Motion showed our advancement in transportation, Spaceship Earth showed our advancement in communication, and Horizons showed advancement in agriculture and discovery. The pavilions themselves have held true to these themes. However, when they're placed in an area known as "Future World" this ideas must be updated.

WoM never had waits for it, and although it was an informative glimpse into our advancement from the wheel to vehicles of today it fell by the wayside to the modern thrill seekers. My guess is that it would still be around (in a form fairly similiar to it's retired state) had Mt. Fuji opened up in Japan. So if you're looking for someone to blame for the loss of WoM, I'd blame Kodak for not letting Fuji Camera/Film in the park.

The building for Horizons was structural unsafe. I'm not much for simulators, nor did I even ride Mission: Space last time I was at WDW, but this is an absolutely amazing ride. It continued with the exploration/discovery theme of Horizons and retained a concept similar to the old Horizon's attraction (interactive choices, even though in Mission: Space they dont' really do anything).

Spaceship Earth has showcased advancements in technology since the park's opening in 82. I wholeheartedly agree that the historic basis should not be altered but the ending should be. Perhaps fine tuning, smoother animatronics, things of that nature will certainly improve the ride. However, I highly doubt Disney will completely renovate the single most viewed attraction on the planet.

Take all these things into consideration, the updates and specualtion for new updates. Disney is trying to keep the front section of Epcot a Future World, not the Future of 1982 World.

I agree and SSE'e ending should be ever changing.

frank4369

Oooohhh, I hope this is a nasty rumor. SE is to EPCOT what Cinderella's castle is to the MK. EPCOT is my favorite park, and the only think that beats making that turn onto Main Street and seeing the castle on your first day is riding the monorail around on the first visit of the trip.

By the way, hi everybody! :wave:

Tim G

frank4369 said:
Oooohhh, I hope this is a nasty rumor. SE is to EPCOT what Cinderella's castle is to the MK. EPCOT is my favorite park, and the only think that beats making that turn onto Main Street and seeing the castle on your first day is riding the monorail around on the first visit of the trip.

By the way, hi everybody! :wave:
Like Cinderella's Castle, they'll be building missile launch units in it... :eek:

Lynx04

The probability of SSE ever getting a major rehab in the form of ride system is very slim. Any rehab would have to be reduced to a level that will not interfere with guess control. Because of the location of SSE, above where 90% of the guest come in, they can not do any major update.

In order to put a new ride system in, the outer portion of the ball would have to be disassambled. Doing this would prohibit guest flow under or anywhere new SSE. Disney would then have to build a new entrence to move guests into the park around SSE. Now this in itself would be a project.

Tim G

Lynx04 said:
The probability of SSE ever getting a major rehab in the form of ride system is very slim. Any rehab would have to be reduced to a level that will not interfere with guess control. Because of the location of SSE, above where 90% of the guest come in, they can not do any major update.

In order to put a new ride system in, the outer portion of the ball would have to be disassambled. Doing this would prohibit guest flow under or anywhere new SSE. Disney would then have to build a new entrence to move guests into the park around SSE. Now this in itself would be a project.
There's not going to be a new ride system installed... Not in the very near future...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Lynx04 said:

Not neccesarrily...

When SSE was built the Omnimover went in after the structure (and tiles) were in place. Everypart of SSE - ride system, track, sets, props, had to have individual pieces small enough to fit up the entrance and exit tunnels.

I have a theory the reason why Global Neighborhood is shuttered - as and when a refurb happens, it would be ideal to use as a workshop and for storage - move what is needed back and forth from backstage each night, and during the day workers can continue inside with access to SSE out of sight. Can anyone recall if this happened in 1986?

Or they could just extend the Futureworld tunnel into Global Neighborhood for construction access!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Corrus said:
Like Cinderella's Castle, they'll be building missile launch units in it... :eek:

I would have thought it unlikely that further missile units would be housed in SSE.
Firstly as im sure your aware that the ball is home to the incoming missile detection unit so I think that the in built radar would interfere with incoming signals.
Secondly the additional air defence batteries will be deployed in the Everest building, so unless there is even moreunits being located on property.

bgraham34

joviacdan said:
Why doesn't Disney turn World Showcase into a big go-cart track? Or better yet, just tear down Epcot all together?.

That would be pretty funny, you can try and run guests over for extra points.

sully96

E P C O T still means " Environmental Prototype Community Of Tommorrow " & they should stay along that path.

When I went in the late 80's World of Motion showcased cars of the "Future", I think it was a Ford Probe, which now looks "boxy" by todays standards. I think they need to keep reaching & exploring, not build thrill rides, Test Track is exempt (it's educational too)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom