When first stepping onto Main Street.. can you relate?

I totally agree with the original post. We go to MK the first and last day of the trip, I get choked up on the way in and choked up on the way out.

I can not wait until we go again even though we don't have our next trip planned.

Whats funny is that if you ever ask my daughter where she would like to go for dinner, for the day her immediate answer is "Disney World" - she wants to see the castle... I think she feels it too even though she can't articulate it.

EPCOT Explorer

Agreed, I do love that feeling of walkin' onto Main St, but entering Epcot is so much more exciting for me. I could happily spend a whole trip in Epcot, with maybe a quick side trip to MK for Splash Mountain :p
I've actually done that a few times back in the '90s.One of my best Disney trips even though we were only in EPCOT.
Disney creates a happiness you can breathe. It's intoxicating, and as you walk down Main Street with music blaring at you, people smiling all around, and that impossibly huge castle... there's no place I'd rather be. :eek:
Awwwwwww...That made me tear up.

I wanna go to Disney World...

Buried20KLeague

My dad and I talk about this 'feeling' all the time.

He traveled to Disneyland as a little boy with his parents within the 1st few days it opened way back in the 50's. He tells me now that when he heard in 1970 that there was soon going to be a new park in Florida, he knew he would take HIS children there someday.

I traveled to WDW with my parents as a child during the 70's and 80's, with my parents and grandparents as a young adult in the 90's, and now with my dad and my children any time we get the chance. Every time we approach MK on the bus, I crane my neck to get that first glimpse of the castle in the distance as we approach, and EVERY TIME without fail, I am overwhlemed...sometimes it is more than I can take. I say a short prayer in my head that I am fortunate enough to give my children what my father and grandparents gave to me, and that is Magic- Disney Magic to be more accurate.

My last visit was in January 2007. I have a 4 and 6 year old little girl who are 'all about' the princesses. When we went to the Princess Breakfast @ EPCOT during our stay I had that same feeling of being overwhelmed. Watching my daughters interact and be totally mesmerized and enchanted with Aurora and Belle among others left me visibly touched and changed in a way I'll never forget!

The magic of Disney is what I try to bring to my family in little ways everyday in the littlest of things.

I hope that my children adopt the same feelings I share today with my father, and pass it along down another generation when they, too, have children...that would be my dream come true!

This is the best post I've read in quite some time. Couldn't have said it better myself. Totally agree. :wave:

CX360

When I go for the first time next year, the park I'm going straight to is Epcot. And I'm staying there until after the final firework explodes. Then I'm leaving, of course. :p

durangojim

I totally agree that there is something very special that happens when you step out from under the tunnel and are on Main Street USA. It's as if all the stresses of the outside world just disappear and a big weight is lifted off of my shoulders. Two of my most favorite memories are when my wife and I brought my son, who was eight weeks old at the time, to WDW for the first time and the first thing we did was take him to the MK. We both were teary eyed as we walked down the street towards the castle with him. The second was a year later when he was able to walk down Main Street holding each of our hands. There is nothing better than being at WDW with those that you love.

KingStefan

I agree with everyone about that special feeling. But noone has mentioned Studios and AK. At the Studios, I love the feeling of walking across the square where you enter, gradually feeling more and more lost in a fantasy. And in AK, when you come out of the Oasis, the transition area, when you come out from the relatively dark place between the rocks into the bright light, and see the Tree in the distance!

Of course coming out onto Main St. is incomparable. And walking past the taupiary and seeing SSE looming above you is also exciting, especially with the music. But all the parks have something special.

At the MK for me, it starts with waiting to board the ferry and happens little by little. A bit more excitment as you disembark, the bag search and turnstiles spoil it just a little, but them seeing that huge Mickey face in the garden welcoming me - that's all part of it too. Then the transition into a small town in the past is the coup de gras!

Sometimes, I miss the ferry and monorail when we take the resort bus right to the entrance, though!

Now Is The Time

Original Poster
I agree with everyone about that special feeling. But noone has mentioned Studios and AK. At the Studios, I love the feeling of walking across the square where you enter, gradually feeling more and more lost in a fantasy. And in AK, when you come out of the Oasis, the transition area, when you come out from the relatively dark place between the rocks into the bright light, and see the Tree in the distance!

Of course coming out onto Main St. is incomparable.

Good point although I didn't mean to convey that the "feeling" can't be experienced at the other parks. There's just something about Main Street at MK though which is different from the others. Maybe it's because it was there first and has always been the gateway to the Disney magic for so many years.

I do think it's unfortunate (due to the times we live in) that when you reach the front entrance to MK that you can no longer walk directly to the turnstiles. They rope you way out and around just so you can get in line for security. Talk about a delay in your excitement. It's like opening a candy bar wrapper and then waving it in front of child while saying "No, not yet.." :ROFLOL:

Minnietoo

YES! I agree with all of you! i was actually just talking about this feeling this morning! They agreed it is simply magical!
I am not lucky enough to go as many times as alot of you nut when I do go the feeling is almost overwhelming. I get teary eyed just thinking about it:cry:

I actually get almost the same feeling driving up seeing the 1st Disney sign as I do seeing the castle.

True to me there is nothing like main st and the castle but for me all the parks ahve this magic and excitement that really can't be discribed.

I wish DH felt the same way. Last time we went he seemed to just be going through the motions to make me happy as well as the kids buit with this comming trip he seems really excited! So do we have a change in him comming I certainly hope so! :lol:

Sadiebird

I absolutely get that feeling when I walk onto Mainstreet. And there's usually some skipping involved too. :)

I think it has something to do with reconnecting with your childhood, when you didn't have any cares. When you go to Disney World, you get to go back to that time in your life.

JenShelby

I have to agree! The first time I took my daughter-she loved Cinderella and all she talked about was seeing Cinderella's castle. Once we hit Main Street I looked over at her and her expression was priceless, I started to cry. Now everytime we get to Main Street, that is my first memory and I want to tear up all over again.

cococola44

I have to agree! The first time I took my daughter-she loved Cinderella and all she talked about was seeing Cinderella's castle. Once we hit Main Street I looked over at her and her expression was priceless, I started to cry. Now everytime we get to Main Street, that is my first memory and I want to tear up all over again.

Awww that is priceless!

You just hear "wow" looking at this huge castle and you feel so overwhelmed with happiness.

Aww bless your daughter. That is such a remarkable feeling. :)

Minnietoo

so sweet! I ahve asimalar experience with my dd. She was 4 when she 1st went and all she talkeda bout was seeing Sleeping beauty and at the time i was under the impression she wasn't around much and she was very hard to find. So I prepared her for a few weeks before saying you might not see her but you will see cinderella and some others I knew were more common. Well the 1st time on main street with in minutes of walking into the park who is standing there?!?!? Sleeping Beauty! She was so excited! Of course I had to hear from a 4 yr old I told you she would be hear mom! LOL That visit it seemed like SB was every where my little girl was she was so happy! Now at 8 she still loves Sleeping Beauty:sohappy:

Tinkrbell

I think it has something to do with reconnecting with your childhood, when you didn't have any cares. When you go to Disney World, you get to go back to that time in your life.
That's exactly how I feel when I walk under the tunnel & see Main Street & the Castle for the first time. All I can think of when I'm there is "Hakuna Matata."

I'm Kristin & I'm a Disney-aholic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom