When first stepping onto Main Street.. can you relate?

diddy_mouse

That feeling of stepping on to Main Street is one of the best. I always have a huge grin on my face as we make the walk toward the castle to take our traditional picture. The funny thing is, I really don't get the true WDW "feeling" until we ride PotC. This is always our first attraction because it's what we rode right after DH proposed. :)

I gotta say that on this recent trip I did cry after walking through the exit turnstile. I had never done that before!

MaryMcMagic

My dad and I talk about this 'feeling' all the time.

He traveled to Disneyland as a little boy with his parents within the 1st few days it opened way back in the 50's. He tells me now that when he heard in 1970 that there was soon going to be a new park in Florida, he knew he would take HIS children there someday.

I traveled to WDW with my parents as a child during the 70's and 80's, with my parents and grandparents as a young adult in the 90's, and now with my dad and my children any time we get the chance. Every time we approach MK on the bus, I crane my neck to get that first glimpse of the castle in the distance as we approach, and EVERY TIME without fail, I am overwhlemed...sometimes it is more than I can take. I say a short prayer in my head that I am fortunate enough to give my children what my father and grandparents gave to me, and that is Magic- Disney Magic to be more accurate.

My last visit was in January 2007. I have a 4 and 6 year old little girl who are 'all about' the princesses. When we went to the Princess Breakfast @ EPCOT during our stay I had that same feeling of being overwhelmed. Watching my daughters interact and be totally mesmerized and enchanted with Aurora and Belle among others left me visibly touched and changed in a way I'll never forget!

The magic of Disney is what I try to bring to my family in little ways everyday in the littlest of things.

I hope that my children adopt the same feelings I share today with my father, and pass it along down another generation when they, too, have children...that would be my dream come true!

EPCOT Explorer

Heck yes.EPCOT might be my favorite park but the MK is quintessential "DISNEY" Feeling.I love it!!!

I get more chills going to Epcot...excitement engulfs me...

But yes MK is beautiful! Distant neon lights bouncing off the castle in tomorrow land and the sounds of the parks drives you just about insane!

SSE does that for me too.

kadesha

I completely agree! What you described is the my favorite part of the trip, the feeling that comes over you when you're "home!"

There was a picture in the new pic of the day thread of mainstreet that made me think of that very feeling!

soin2disney

I KNOW that feeling...

I know that feeling exactly....I thought I was crazy too....You really can't explain it, and people who do not love Disney have no idea...... Only true Disney lovers know that SPECIAL FEELING.
When I see that castle for the 1st time, I get all chocked up....:lol:

RussJT

Our first day is always at MK. We always start with the earliest breakfast time at Crystal Palace. Therefore, we get to walk down Main Street almost by ourselves. The feeling that we finally arrived for the vacation we had been planning for so long is amazing.

We were not able to make the trip last year, so when we get there in 47 days it will be great.

teacup317

Absolutely I can relate and so can everyone else if they are lurking or posting to these boards. It's just well..............magical!
dance.gif

Disneyfanman

That first moment seeing the castle never gets old and it never goes away. The OP describes it exactly the way I feel every time that I go. I am a 46 year old business man with three older kids (21, 18, 14), and I just can't figure it out. I think it goes back to the fact that at age 6 I visited Disneyland and remember every attraction from back in 1967. But more than anything else I remember Sleeping Beauty's Castle, and the first time that I saw it from Main Street.

We visit WDW every year at least once. And we NEVER miss the MK. If we have one day we go.

My daughter says that she cannot wait until she has kids to do the same thing. Disney has been a family tradition for the past 10 years. My oldest son just completed his CP. My wife collects pins. My youngest boy just yesterday asked me when we were planning our next trip.

Whatever the magic is.....I hope it never wears off. It always begins with the Castle.

Laura

Premium Member
I honestly don't think Main Street USA gives me a feeling like that. There are other places that do though - like walking into Epcot and hearing all the futuristic music with the fountains dancing in the background. Or strolling around the walkways of the Polynesian at night with the torches lit and Magic Kingdom fireworks bursting.

What surprises me is how so many of you say that you break down and cry the minute you step onto Main Street, but in all my visits to Magic Kingdom I've never seen anyone doing anything except hustling to their first ride. :lol:

DisneyBuffinDE

WOW just reading the original post I could start to feel it. I am taking my dad down for the first time with my family (DH, DS, and DD) and I really hope he feels it. But it is like an epiphany. Like the first time I saw the Eiffel tower in Paris or the Kruger national game reserve in South Africa. It is amazing. I have been all over the world and Disney is one of the most amazing places to me. It is magic come alive to me.

GO DAWGS!

5 more days!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel the same warm and fuzziness as all of you when walking down Main Street or into Epcot! It truly brings tears to my eyes year after year! In 5 days I get to take my 4 year old son and he is so excited! He's like the little boy in the commercial who says "I'm too excited to sleep!"
I feel the same way. Saturday cannot come soon enough and I know that when I see my son's expression upon his first glance at the castle I will bawl my eyes out (since I am also dealing with pregnancy hormones)!:lol: So if any of you are there on Saturday and see a pregnant woman sitting on the sidewalk overcome with emotion, just know that I'm ok.

shawn

I know the feeling, the chills go up your spine and you just feel safe and secure and like you are home. I can't describe the feeling, my DW wants to go to Disneyland this year and I know it will be great because it is Disney but I can't believe it will feel the same. It won't have the feeling of being someplace , I don't think I will feel as isolated but we are staying there for 2 weeks and at the Grand Californian so I will emerse and insulate myself as much as possible. She want s to go into LA for a few days but I think the kids and I will just stay at the parks. Oh what a wonderful feeling to have Disneyitis

YankeeMouse

We also have at least one early breakfast, 8:05 reservation, at Crystal Palace so that we can walk down Main Street with very few guests. Well worth it..not to mention the French Toast Puffs!!

lilclerk

IThere are other places that do though - like walking into Epcot and hearing all the futuristic music with the fountains dancing in the background.
Agreed, I do love that feeling of walkin' onto Main St, but entering Epcot is so much more exciting for me. I could happily spend a whole trip in Epcot, with maybe a quick side trip to MK for Splash Mountain :p

bgraham34

I get totally excited when I step off the boat and head to the turnstyles. When I first walk onto Main Street, and then the biggest smile on my face. Ah i love the feeling.

Fun2BFree

Disney creates a happiness you can breathe. It's intoxicating, and as you walk down Main Street with music blaring at you, people smiling all around, and that impossibly huge castle... there's no place I'd rather be. :eek:

I agree with all of this....We have been every year since 2002 (except 2006), and I can tell you my wife and I always feel giddy when we walk into the MK for the first time of our vacation. We always start with the MK, and end up there. Mainly because during the fall season Wishes and Spectromagic is guaranteed to run (weather permitting of course) and we never want to miss it. We usually start our Sat Afternoon with a dinner at The Crystal palace, and then shop a little and then catch Wishes and Specto....

people who dont do the WDW thing just dont understand.....but thats ok we love it. Our daughter has grown up at WDW since she was 6 she knows every ride by heart and always gets excited when its time to go in Nov

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom