When are you going to fix that yeti?

EricsBiscuit

pickled herring
IMG_5882.jpg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While I want to see Full A Mode Yeti back, this makes me wonder why they never came up with a A- Mode Yeti? Something with less movement or stress points that would require less maintenance but, you know actually move...
It is my understanding the options with less movement have been proposed, but never greenlit.

Biff215

If they're going to take out what people deem to be the main feature of the ride (it doesn't bother me either way) then they may as well close the ride for a refurb. I don't believe it's had a proper extensive refurb in years, so it would perhaps be better for the ride to close it out completely.

It may be more cost effective for Disney to just build an entirely new AA that is lighter and has modern technology to replace the current yeti, and use the old yeti elsewhere. Let's face it, it's been a total waste of money building it anyway since it wasn't active for very long.
It seems that you and I would agree then that the yeti isn’t the main feature, and at a split second, it really shouldn’t be. I doubt most guests are riding EE mainly for that very short glimpse, whether he moves or not. It’s still a highly themed coaster, and a pretty decent one at that.

That’s not to say that the yeti is unimportant. This sort of detail sets Disney apart. But it is a bit embarrassing to have this million dollar animatronic sit there lifeless all these years. I think it shows pretty clearly that Disney doesn’t really think the average guest cares that much...or even realizes it. So why invest the time and money then?

Unfortunately Joe Rohde caring about this isn’t enough to actually get it done, so this recent news probably doesn’t mean a whole lot. I’m happy to say I saw the yeti in all his glory a few times, and I continue to ride every trip as I still enjoy the attraction for what it is.

RSoxNo1

Kilimanjaro is a major attraction in AK, but Everest is probably the most known, I know for sure that is the ride my friends think of when they think of AK.

Why would shutting EE when Pandora opened help spread out the crowds? It would have sent even more people over to Pandora due to the ride being shut, meaning even worse wait times than it already had.

The ride is still popular with or without the Yeti. A lot of people didn't even know the Yeti was active and moving at one point. It's not a make or break things for Disney, probably why it has taken so long for them to even consider fixing it. Plus, the funds they will need to eithe a) repair the yeti or b) replace it entirely.
I think they meant that they should of fixed the Yeti beforehand and had the fixed Yeti open up with Pandora. But I agree, most people wouldn’t even notice the change and I doubt would draw significantly more crowds to EE.
Remember, it’s possible to fix the yeti without having to close the ride. Even if they wanted to close EE for a refurb to avoid having a missing yeti, this fall or winter would probably be the best time to do it. Once SWL opens, they’ll need the capacity once again.
By concurrently, I meant concurrently. We can certainly argue whether or not it would have pulled guests away from Pandora. I suspect the guests that knew about the repaired Yeti would also want to visit Pandora as well, it doesn't mean it would have been a bad move though. Similar in concept to having a significantly updated Great Movie Ride ready for Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opening in addition to Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. If they don't have to close the attraction to fix the Yeti, great. But despite @marni1971's claims to that effect, I still suspect that would need some down time, even if it's only a day or two.

As for which ride in DAK is the main attraction, it's Kilimanjaro Safaris. This isn't a debate. It doesn't mean it's everybody's favorite, but it is the anchor of that park, it has the highest capacity of pretty much anything on property (or at least top 3), and it's what got that park made.

MrConbon

By concurrently, I meant concurrently. We can certainly argue whether or not it would have pulled guests away from Pandora. I suspect the guests that knew about the repaired Yeti would also want to visit Pandora as well, it doesn't mean it would have been a bad move though. Similar in concept to having a significantly updated Great Movie Ride ready for Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opening in addition to Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. If they don't have to close the attraction to fix the Yeti, great. But despite @marni1971's claims to that effect, I still suspect that would need some down time, even if it's only a day or two.

As for which ride in DAK is the main attraction, it's Kilimanjaro Safaris. This isn't a debate. It doesn't mean it's everybody's favorite, but it is the anchor of that park, it has the highest capacity of pretty much anything on property (or at least top 3), and it's what got that park made.

Eh I really don’t think the safari is the main ride of the park. And I don’t think Disney would advertise the Yeti working again as a reason to draw crowds out of the park. It would be embarrassing to advertise something that was there at opening but took over a decade to fix.

Biff215

Eh I really don’t think the safari is the main ride of the park. And I don’t think Disney would advertise the Yeti working again as a reason to draw crowds out of the park. It would be embarrassing to advertise something that was there at opening but took over a decade to fix.
“Main attraction” is always debatable and mostly personal opinion. With that said, KS is the park’s original flagship attraction and likely has more guests enjoy it per day than anything else. Sure that’s part it’s amazing capacity, but it’s also family friendly and what guests associate AK with the most.

EE is certainly in that top tier, I’d argue with or without the yeti. I agree with you that marketing a new or fixed yeti would be kind of silly, but if that’s the only way WDW can justify the cost, then I welcome it.

Phil12

I hate to break the news to everyone, but Joe Rohde is well known as a complete narcissist. His "promise" to fix the yeti is nothing more than than the old flying monkey ploy. And don't forget that Joe is using the "fix the yeti" excuse for hanging on to his job.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom