When are you going to fix that yeti?

RSoxNo1

Because AK doesn't have the facility to accommodate a closure of the parks main attraction. Perhaps when Pandora finally quiets down and once SW:GE opens, the crowds won't be so bad so there will be the crowds to close down a major attraction.

The ride doesn't get any less visitors due to the yeti being down, so although it is something that probably does need to be fixed, it's not a priority.

Also, Disney doesn't really have a "quiet" period anymore. Even during Oct/Nov the parks are still so busy, especially as it's the cheapest time of year for us Brits to come and visit.
The parks main attraction is Kilimanjaro Safaris. Everest should have received a Yeti Fix that opened concurrently with Pandora. It would have helped spread out crowds.

Hayley In Wonderland

The parks main attraction is Kilimanjaro Safaris. Everest should have received a Yeti Fix that opened concurrently with Pandora. It would have helped spread out crowds.
Kilimanjaro is a major attraction in AK, but Everest is probably the most known, I know for sure that is the ride my friends think of when they think of AK.

Why would shutting EE when Pandora opened help spread out the crowds? It would have sent even more people over to Pandora due to the ride being shut, meaning even worse wait times than it already had.

The ride is still popular with or without the Yeti. A lot of people didn't even know the Yeti was active and moving at one point. It's not a make or break things for Disney, probably why it has taken so long for them to even consider fixing it. Plus, the funds they will need to eithe a) repair the yeti or b) replace it entirely.

MrConbon

Kilimanjaro is a major attraction in AK, but Everest is probably the most known, I know for sure that is the ride my friends think of when they think of AK.

Why would shutting EE when Pandora opened help spread out the crowds? It would have sent even more people over to Pandora due to the ride being shut, meaning even worse wait times than it already had.

The ride is still popular with or without the Yeti. A lot of people didn't even know the Yeti was active and moving at one point. It's not a make or break things for Disney, probably why it has taken so long for them to even consider fixing it. Plus, the funds they will need to eithe a) repair the yeti or b) replace it entirely.

I think they meant that they should of fixed the Yeti beforehand and had the fixed Yeti open up with Pandora. But I agree, most people wouldn’t even notice the change and I doubt would draw significantly more crowds to EE.

Biff215

Remember, it’s possible to fix the yeti without having to close the ride. Even if they wanted to close EE for a refurb to avoid having a missing yeti, this fall or winter would probably be the best time to do it. Once SWL opens, they’ll need the capacity once again.

Hayley In Wonderland

Remember, it’s possible to fix the yeti without having to close the ride. Even if they wanted to close EE for a refurb to avoid having a missing yeti, this fall or winter would probably be the best time to do it. Once SWL opens, they’ll need the capacity once again.
Surely if they are going to replace/fix the yeti, they would close the entire ride down for refurb as opposed to just changing the AA, which is does need anyway. I see people less likely to ride it if the Yeti is removed for a prolonged period of time anyway, so it would be easier to just close the entire ride for a refurb. Why would they need capacity in an entirely different park? It would make sense to open the new Mickey ride around or at the same time as SW:GE but I don't see what opening up EE at the same time after a refurb would do?

Biff215

Surely if they are going to replace/fix the yeti, they would close the entire ride down for refurb as opposed to just changing the AA, which is does need anyway. I see people less likely to ride it if the Yeti is removed for a prolonged period of time anyway, so it would be easier to just close the entire ride for a refurb. Why would they need capacity in an entirely different park? It would make sense to open the new Mickey ride around or at the same time as SW:GE but I don't see what opening up EE at the same time after a refurb would do?
I disagree that EE needs to close. It’s just a static figure now with a light, that could be replicated fairly simply with a projection. I’d rather the ride stay open, even with nothing in that scene.

Having capacity at the other parks will be important once SWL opens, as DHS will likely hit capacity and force guests elsewhere.

geekza

Even with extended hours at DAK, it still closes early enough that they could get the Yeti out without having to close the ride. All they'd need to do is make up a temporary non-moving Yeti (that would be no different from what they have now) and switch them out overnight. The ride would never have to close, very few people would know the difference, and the repaired Yeti could be put back in when it is ready. I'm sure it's a question of funding, rather than effort and planning. It will cost money to fix such an elaborate AA figure as the Yeti and, right now, all the money is going toward the major refurb of Epcot and DHS.

Hayley In Wonderland

I disagree that EE needs to close. It’s just a static figure now with a light, that could be replicated fairly simply with a projection. I’d rather the ride stay open, even with nothing in that scene.

Having capacity at the other parks will be important once SWL opens, as DHS will likely hit capacity and force guests elsewhere.
If they're going to take out what people deem to be the main feature of the ride (it doesn't bother me either way) then they may as well close the ride for a refurb. I don't believe it's had a proper extensive refurb in years, so it would perhaps be better for the ride to close it out completely.

It may be more cost effective for Disney to just build an entirely new AA that is lighter and has modern technology to replace the current yeti, and use the old yeti elsewhere. Let's face it, it's been a total waste of money building it anyway since it wasn't active for very long.

Hayley In Wonderland

Even with extended hours at DAK, it still closes early enough that they could get the Yeti out without having to close the ride. All they'd need to do is make up a temporary non-moving Yeti (that would be no different from what they have now) and switch them out overnight. The ride would never have to close, very few people would know the difference, and the repaired Yeti could be put back in when it is ready. I'm sure it's a question of funding, rather than effort and planning. It will cost money to fix such an elaborate AA figure as the Yeti and, right now, all the money is going toward the major refurb of Epcot and DHS.
I agree. The yeti not moving isn't priority to Disney right now with all the new rides and areas being built, their money will be focused into these areas. As mentioned, the yeti not working doesn't stop people riding EE, and most people don't even realise that it worked in the first place. Considering the yeti is seen for such a brief moment, it might not even be worth fixing at all. If it was moving I'm sure it would be more noticable in the ride, but I only see Disney getting their money out of replacing it if perhaps they change the ride sequence and have you approach the yeti above slowly, then once he swings down to grab you, the carriage shoots forward almost as if you're escaping him.

Brer Oswald

So a few thoughts. First has anyone read EE wikipedia page? Someone with more knowledge than I should really edit that thing. Under "Facts and Details" the Yeti section says everything from split frame to cracked foundation, basically ever incorrect rumor ever heard.

The second thought I had was that there is literally an entire Generation that has never experienced the working yeti. The Post Millenial generation (Generation Z) born in the late 90s early 2000s were most likely to short to ride the attraction when it was first opened in 2006. By the time most GenZ were tall enough to ride the yeti was already in B mode...
Why exactly did they put Yeti in Disco B mode then? I, being of Gen Z, never got to experience te thing in A mode. I was probably just barely tall enough that I could have seen it when I was there and it was in A mode, but I was way too terrified of coasters at that age!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

JoeCamel

Careful what you wish for. If they find a projection is better than a strobe it might stay that way........

Brer Oswald

So from what I’m getting at, the issue with the Yeti animatronic itself, and not with the actual mountain? If that’s the case, the higher ups probably didn’t want to spend the money to repeatedly repair the Yeti, and the other option to redesign and create a new Yeti would be too costly and potentially risky (what if it still didn’t work, cause that would be even more wasted money), so they’ve gone with B Mode ever since. Or am I still not understanding things?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So from what I’m getting at, the issue with the Yeti animatronic itself, and not with the actual mountain? If that’s the case, the higher ups probably didn’t want to spend the money to repeatedly repair the Yeti, and the other option to redesign and create a new Yeti would be too costly and potentially risky (what if it still didn’t work, cause that would be even more wasted money), so they’ve gone with B Mode ever since. Or am I still not understanding things?
That is pretty much it.

Princess Leia

Just happened to think of this- Dinosaur was down for months under renovation, before Pandora added 2 rides. I know that more people are coming to DAK now, but if it's such an easy fix... there's no excuse for not fixing this ride, even with if had to temporarily close (I'm aware that we've been told that a long refurb would be unnecessary to fix the yeti, but I'm assuming there are some smaller things that Disney may want to clean up a bit).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom