When are you going to fix that yeti?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Please excuse my silly question, but why on earth would they shut off effects?!?
Steam (at load) is real steam and thus comes with a whole slew of comfort and safety issues.

Misting at the top of lift B was water based and did indeed interfere with ride sensors and was causing corrosion concerns. It was this misting system that was permanently and purposely deactivated.

Pixieish

Steam (at load) is real steam and thus comes with a whole slew of comfort and safety issues.

Misting at the top of lift B was water based and did indeed interfere with ride sensors and was causing corrosion concerns. It was this misting system that was permanently and purposely deactivated.
Well, it's still crapalicious, but at least there's sound reasoning behind it and not just a case of being all Scrooge McDuck.

KrazyKat

I wish they had easily usuable VR 360 cameras back in 2006 like they do today and posted it on youtube. I'm sure someone would have recorded this with the Yeti in it's full motion glory...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Honestly, just yank the darned thing out, fix it quickly, and put it back. Having a few months of "bad show" is better than an eternity of "broken show." People seem to be okay with the construction tarps on Main Street. Just put up a temporary projection. As soon as the working Yeti comes back, people will forget all about its temporary removal and will just be happy that it's working again.
With all the screen technology available now, they should just pull Betty and replace her with a giant screen-based Yeti... call her Scretty.

Well, maybe they could install some screens and show mist on the screens...

Biff215

Ok. I think your corrective post was yet another example of typical forum mishegoss. The only reason I'm getting involved is because I've seen it here on multiple occasions and I think it's, frankly, counterproductive. I'm sure my weighing in will also be considered as such but then, you know that pot kettle black phenomenon.
I’ve certainly seen the same here but never from @marni1971. Just my opinion, but I think you’re misinterpreting his response. Often we need someone to provide the truth, and he’s about as close to that with WDW that you can get. And he does it with class and clarity, no arrogance that I’ve ever noticed even though he knows more than most of us combined!

Hayley In Wonderland

And ***** is calling the closure "imminent". Article doesn't exactly go into details on how they know it's "imminent" though?!?

Someone asked them where they got the information from in the replies on twitter and I believe they replied with "inside information given to us"

They probably asked a bus driver, then...

Hayley In Wonderland

Yeah what I meant was.....what he said the in article doesn't lead me to believe anything is "imminent".

Internal sources have also told us that they are personally working on “the Everest project”, so the lengthy refurbishment and all of the changes it will bring are clearly in development and the closure is imminent.

Written in true clickbait fashion to me. Post it on twitter with BREAKING and you have yourself some good clicks on a Monday morning :p
He also said imminent but I believe he was also replying to people telling them the earliest it would be is next year... :facepalm:

Hayley In Wonderland

I'm not up to date on all the rumors, by why not as soon as possible? Start the repair in October when things slow down a little or after the new year.
Because AK doesn't have the facility to accommodate a closure of the parks main attraction. Perhaps when Pandora finally quiets down and once SW:GE opens, the crowds won't be so bad so there will be the crowds to close down a major attraction.

The ride doesn't get any less visitors due to the yeti being down, so although it is something that probably does need to be fixed, it's not a priority.

Also, Disney doesn't really have a "quiet" period anymore. Even during Oct/Nov the parks are still so busy, especially as it's the cheapest time of year for us Brits to come and visit.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
So a few thoughts. First has anyone read EE wikipedia page? Someone with more knowledge than I should really edit that thing. Under "Facts and Details" the Yeti section says everything from split frame to cracked foundation, basically ever incorrect rumor ever heard.

The second thought I had was that there is literally an entire Generation that has never experienced the working yeti. The Post Millenial generation (Generation Z) born in the late 90s early 2000s were most likely to short to ride the attraction when it was first opened in 2006. By the time most GenZ were tall enough to ride the yeti was already in B mode...

geekza

So a few thoughts. First has anyone read EE wikipedia page? Someone with more knowledge than I should really edit that thing. Under "Facts and Details" the Yeti section says everything from split frame to cracked foundation, basically ever incorrect rumor ever heard.
As a former librarian and teacher, this is why we told people that Wikipedia is a great place to point you towards more reliable sources, but should never be cited in a paper or other assignment. People tend to overlook the sources toward the bottom of every entry, but those tend to be where the real information lies. Unfortunately, one of Wikipedia's biggest flaws is that those with firsthand knowledge of things aren't allowed to edit entries. It's a Catch-22 situation.

Nextinline

If B mode doesn't lose Disney money, I would argue that the Yeti being removed completely for a few months wouldn't lose Disney money either (in terms of park attendance).

But imagine the up-sells they could do for the Return of the Yeti. "1st" class tickets - be the first to see the Return Revenge of the Yeti for only $300 per rider (+theme park admission).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Oh no! Why are they deactivated?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom