When are you going to fix that yeti?

Jones14

There are colored spotlights in Diagon Alley for the Carkitt Market stage that have been burnt out for months and are still awaiting replacement. They are easily accessible and it would require no downtime for the shows that they were built to be used in to be fixed/replaced, but a budget has not been approved for them, and so they continue to sit, burnt out until the company can decide whether it should come out of the Entertainment budget or the Maintenance budget.

The yeti is the same type of thing on a much, much bigger scale.

Ralphlaw

There are colored spotlights in Diagon Alley for the Carkitt Market stage that have been burnt out for months and are still awaiting replacement. They are easily accessible and it would require no downtime for the shows that they were built to be used in to be fixed/replaced, but a budget has not been approved for them, and so they continue to sit, burnt out until the company can decide whether it should come out of the Entertainment budget or the Maintenance budget..

And that is a sign of a messed up, ineffective, dysfunctional company.

lazyboy97o

And your qualifications? Have you helped build a house? Do you represent builders and owners in court? Do you own three or more buildings?
You have already said you have no reason to accept the statements of others since you do not know them. How exactly do you want us to submit credentials to be verified?

Do you keep mentioning that you helped build a house because you don’t think anyone will come across Wis. Stat. §443.15(1)(a)?

Even then, one does not need specialized knowledge to know the figure is not like a bank vault as the information is widely and easily available from multiple sources.

montyz81

Part of why the crazy stories like “they have to tear down the mountain” get repeated is because people project their own passion on to the company. People don’t want to accept that there is not enough concern to fix this massive show element so they buy into complicated justifications. Nobody has the political capital to own the fix but not get taken down by assuming the blame when the B show is considered good enough.
I never really bought into the "tear down the mountain" theory. I ave always felt that it was a money thing in a way that Disney could justify the cost of fixing it. So, to me it was something they had to do during a rehab. That said, It is clear that they do not buy into the standards and ideals that Walt built this company on. It is all about the bottom line and filling the pockets of investors and leadership. That, unfortunately, is the state of our country. We all just try to soften the edges of that notion to make it look like it isn't as bad as everyone thinks.

Smiley/OCD

I do not doubt that it was put in originally because--duh?--there it is. But why keep the carcass there for 9 years if it's so easy to remove? That makes zero sense. I assert that it is actually expensive and/or difficult to remove. I am not saying that the mountain necessarily has to be ripped apart to do so. In some way(s), I very seriously doubt that it is easy to take it out and/or put it back in because the embarrassing thing is still there in limp mode. If it was as easy to take out as so many seem to think, then logic dictates that they would have done so a long time ago. Because they have not done so, I can only conclude that it is not easy to do.

I would equate the yeti to a built in safe in a bank. Removeable? Yes. Difficult to remove? Yes. Can a safe be installed after a bank building is built? Of course. Does that mean you willy nilly take it out on a whim? Of course not.

With all that being said, I suppose it is possible that years ago some people thought that they could remove the yeti, fix the problem, and reinstall it. I assume that procedure would have been difficult and expensive. It is possible, I suppose, that such a procedure took place, but that does NOT lead us to conclude that removing the blasted thing is easy. I assume that if indeed it was removed and reinstalled years ago, it was part of an expensive effort to fix it. When that alleged fix did not work, I further assume that they left it there because it is expensive and difficult to remove. Nevertheless, I have my doubts about the thing being gone even though respected people like Marni have it on good authority that it was. I have yet to hear from someone on these boards who have first hand knowledge accordingly. Sorry, but when logic says one thing, and second hand reports say another, I tend to believe the logical conclusion.

Ok, you're making a LOT of assumptions, so I'm going to make a few as well...I'm assuming by you're name that you're a lawyer...the finger pointing on who is responsible for the cost of repair is the same as the police blaming the DA's office for botching the trial, and the DA's office blaming the police for a bad search and seizure. The bottom line is that a) the company won't justify the repair cost and removal since the ride is still functional, safe and popular...b) with all the construction going on throughout the entire park, money is being diverted to those projects... c) I will (and MOST regulars on here) agree that Martin has the best information on all things Disney...to even accuse him of not having the most accurate information is making, yet again, a GIANT assumption...I would believe him over ANYONE else on these boards. The conspiracy theories on here are comical...they are right up there with we didn't land on the moon, our government brought down the twin towers, etc. d) we are having an addition on our house, which when completed, will double the size of our living space. I watched our GC complete things that I didn't think were possible.
President Trump is a developer, who owns MANY buildings, but I don't think for a minute that he knows anything about how the building gets built, just the way he wants it completed, and FIND A WAY TO GET IT DONE...Walt was the same way...don't tell me it can't be done, show me it CAN be done.
A logical way to complete the project IF the 2 sides are arguing about who is responsible for the job would be for one side to handle the cost of removal, and the other side handling the cost of repair...after it's done, THEN argue about who is ultimately responsible for the total cost, but that comes down to my first point...the ride works, guests (other than the die-hards on here) enjoy it, so lets spend the $$$ elsewhere on property.
Do I want it fixed, sure, but I also understand that after it's all said and done, this place we call "The Happiest Place on Earth" is a business, and what we think is the most important is not corporate's...let's just hope that we will all be alive WHEN the Yeti gets repaired...we're leaving Friday for a week at Disney...it won't put a kink on my vacation ONE BIT.

Pixieish

Then where does my little syllogism fail? I assert that removing it is expensive. That's all. If it was cheap and easy, a single department could have swung the money to remove it, could have slapped up an acceptable band aid, and could have sought reimbursement later on from other department(s) and entities. But if it's expensive to remove, this explains why we've been stuck with disco yeti for 9 years. Cheap fixes get done. It's only the expensive fixes that are left undone for 9 years in a logical world.

Of course, another explanation could be that the greatest entertainment company the world has ever seen is illogical when it comes to one of its headline attractions. But I don't easily buy that conclusion either.
I'm honestly not surprised to see fighting over which department pays going on - it was infighting between departments and creative heads that caused the discontinuation of Disney Infinity, and that had HUGE potential.

Castle Cake Apologist

And your qualifications? Have you helped build a house? Do you represent builders and owners in court? Do you own three or more buildings?

Nobody but you is going on and on about their completely irrelevant background. I don't know why you would assume that anybody is obligated to offer information on their background simply because you volunteered information on yours.

I'm also still struggling to understand why you think helping your dad build a house or owning buildings is in any way related to building a highly-themed roller coaster. Those could not be more different from one another if they tried to be.

A major show element like that would not have been installed without some viable means of accessing it and removing it for maintenance. Animatronics must be removed from attractions with regularity for service. But when the issues began, a quick fix was put in place. As the years dragged on with nobody willing to accept the consequences of taking the fall for the issues, it became less and less likely that anything would be done with it at all. Can you really not see any reason to believe that modern Disney would take the easiest possible route, which would be just leaving it there with the fans and the strobes? B-Mode is more than effective for the vast majority of average guests, all of whom are completely unaware that it ever moved at all. Why would they remove it and install a projection if the way they have it hasn't impacted their profits and the ride operates safely and receives high guest satisfaction scores?

Nobody has ever said that removing / fixing it is as simple as pushing a button and sliding him out, but it's not nearly as improbable and difficult as you're making it sound.

Last edited:

BalooChicago

Either something is happening or Joe is getting fed up.

IMG_8338.jpg

https://twitter.com/wofginger/status/925649875605344258

ryguy

I guess the question is what is Joe's history of talking about the yeti and getting it fixed. Is this something he does every so often or is this something new. I would assume he is a good soldier and dishes out whatever the company line is. When Joe tweeted the TSA comment my first thought was this is out of character, why is he mentioning this. Some think it was just humorous, but I think there is more to it than that. He either knows something we don't and is giving the diehard's a clue, or he is in the twilight of his career with the company and doesn't give a hoot anymore. One thing you can take to the bank, the suits were not thrilled with the tweet about TSA.

BalooChicago

They're talking about a pumpkin..

Yes. A pumpkin with the yeti carved in it.

Someone commented on it needing to be lit with a strobe light, which is clearly a slam at the current state of the ride. Joe didn't need to like that. I'd argue if it was business as usual he'd have ignored it. I think the fact he liked it (especially in light of the tweets that sparked this thread) means something.

lazyboy97o

Yes. A pumpkin with the yeti carved in it.

Someone commented on it needing to be lit with a strobe light, which is clearly a slam at the current state of the ride. Joe didn't need to like that. I'd argue if it was business as usual he'd have ignored it. I think the fact he liked it (especially in light of the tweets that sparked this thread) means something.
Those of use who don’t have a Twitter account cannot see Likes, so that is helpful information.

I do think people are possibly reading way too much into Joe’s comments. He’s not oblivious and part of creative work is letting go of your work. It’s been a decade, at some point a healthy attitude of knowing that it is something joked about needs to take shape.

NormC

The new B-mode lighting is actually better. You can see him well and with the fans blowing the fur around it is still better than installing a projection. I would prefer a fully functional yeti but I would also prefer the current three dimensional creature we have now over some projection.

RSoxNo1

Nope, but I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it people like me.

This isn't a $%&# measuring contest. Your career and/or life experiences aren't connected to the topic at hand no matter how much you want them to be. We're talking about a unique situation involving an audio animatronic figure that is inside a building. I can only assume your building knowledge does not extend to audio animatronic figures inside buildings. If I'm mistaken, I apologize in advance.

The figure has been removed without any down time to the attraction. You're refusal to acknowledge even this is dumbfounding.

There's a phrase my father likes to use about people like you, "Often wrong, but never in doubt." Get off your high horse and come up with a new angle. All you've done is listed your resume and stated people should listen to you because you're an expert. Don't get me wrong, there's a growing mentality in this country about people refusing to listen to experts, but in this case you're not even in the right field. I'm not going to go to a divorce lawyer and ask them an accounting question.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom