When are you going to fix that yeti?

disney1023

Attachments

• the robot.jpg
    the robot.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 92

Ralphlaw

I've never heard firm confirmation that the yeti could be removed and re-installed easily and quickly. A few people have claimed this is true, but when pushed, the source of that information seems very weak. The alleged youtube video is also very speculative and anything but conclusive.

Common sense tells me that moving such a monstrous Animatronic would be very difficult, especially from such a high platform. I do not know of any similar move anywhere else in or out of any other building anywhere. The only example is Sun Devil Stadium which was built to remove the field. But there are several differences there:

1. It's at ground level.
2. It was built to do that.
3. The center of gravity is very low, meaning there is no risk of toppling over.
4. The parts aren't delicate, like in an animatronic.

AT NASA, they move rockets and space shuttles, but the machinery for doing so is very complex, very expensive, and huge. Again, the whole system from the Vehicle Assembly Building to launch pad is built in and designed accordingly. It just does not seem feasible for them to be able to do so at EE. Not at all. And why would they have done so in the past? And if that were possible, why couldn't they have installed a decent temporary replacement?

Indeed, the true tragedy is that in 9 years they couldn't install a better band aid than Disco Yeti. I've never heard an explanation, and rarely heard the question. Fine, the yeti is broken, so why can't they put in a better temporary fix until the thing can be replaced? Especially if removing the broken yeti was so easy?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
AT NASA, they move rockets and space shuttles, but the machinery for doing so is very complex, very expensive, and huge. Again, the whole system from the Vehicle Assembly Building to launch pad is built in and designed accordingly.
It used to be. Now, SpaceX has installed their assembly building on the cart path a much shorter distance away from launch site 39A.

See this article from NASA's website.

lazyboy97o

I've never heard firm confirmation that the yeti could be removed and re-installed easily and quickly. A few people have claimed this is true, but when pushed, the source of that information seems very weak. The alleged youtube video is also very speculative and anything but conclusive.

Common sense tells me that moving such a monstrous Animatronic would be very difficult, especially from such a high platform. I do not know of any similar move anywhere else in or out of any other building anywhere. The only example is Sun Devil Stadium which was built to remove the field. But there are several differences there:

1. It's at ground level.
2. It was built to do that.
3. The center of gravity is very low, meaning there is no risk of toppling over.
4. The parts aren't delicate, like in an animatronic.

AT NASA, they move rockets and space shuttles, but the machinery for doing so is very complex, very expensive, and huge. Again, the whole system from the Vehicle Assembly Building to launch pad is built in and designed accordingly. It just does not seem feasible for them to be able to do so at EE. Not at all. And why would they have done so in the past? And if that were possible, why couldn't they have installed a decent temporary replacement?

Indeed, the true tragedy is that in 9 years they couldn't install a better band aid than Disco Yeti. I've never heard an explanation, and rarely heard the question. Fine, the yeti is broken, so why can't they put in a better temporary fix until the thing can be replaced? Especially if removing the broken yeti was so easy?
The figure is not nearly as large as your comparisons suggest. It was installed after the Mountain was built and on this very board there are corroborated reports of it not being present.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've never heard firm confirmation that the yeti could be removed and re-installed easily and quickly. A few people have claimed this is true, but when pushed, the source of that information seems very weak.
I was a source for what it’s worth.

The answer to your last question is an argument over who pays and a lack of will from the top to get things done. .

smile

What do you mean "who pays"? Is there some kind of finger pointing going on?

well, it certainly isn't making things any easier, shall we say...
the relevant departments all seem to think the other should pay the bill.

Last edited:

Seabasealpha1

My gut feeling has always been this:

They put the damned thing in there...they can get it back out.

It's all about money...I mean...come on...

lazyboy97o

Ummm...imagineering. Design flaw.

Or what about the contractors? Is it officially the figure or the foundation/concrete?
The issue is if the park is responsible because they were aware of the issues and did not engage in preventative action.

The contractor(s) would have had legal action taken against them if it was their fault. We wouldn’t know necessarily know about arbitration but a law suit would be public record.

Ralphlaw

I was a source for what it’s worth.

The answer to your last question is an argument over who pays and a lack of will from the top to get things done. .

I mean no disrespect, but as I recall, you did not personally see the yeti removed, but instead relied on other people's accounts. In court, we call that hearsay, and it is not even admissible as evidence. A jury would never even hear it. Sorry, it's Monday and I'm in lawyer mode.

Maybe you and the people you spoke to are the most trustworthy people in the world, but I don't know you or them. In the meantime, an easily removeable Yeti makes no sense given the pathetic disco band aid that we've been tolerating for nearly a decade. If such a remove was easy, surely they would have done so. They could have shoved the yeti into a warehouse somewhere, and put up a relatively inexpensive but serviceable replacement band aid until a truly great replacement could be installed. The fact that they haven't done that speaks volumes to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom