When are you going to fix that yeti?

Phil12

I think sadly where the Yeti was working for so little of the rides existence that I don’t Disney will ever go back and fix it now. 90% of guests probably wouldn’t know
Also, 97% of guests don't really care. Fixing the Yeti only matters to a very small group of obsessive-compulsive fans. It's good that these radicalized fans have this to occupy their time.

Prince-1

Also, 97% of guests don't really care. Fixing the Yeti only matters to a very small group of obsessive-compulsive fans. It's good that these radicalized fans have this to occupy their time.

I would say that your number is to low. The very large majority of people have never seen the Yeti move and probably has no clue it ever did. Now should Disney fix it....yes of course because that's what (did) distinguishes Disney from it's competition but the ride is 100% enjoyable without it.

DisneyDebRob

So disagree with almost your whole statement. 97% of guests don’t really care because that is probably the amount, maybe even 98-99% don’t even know about the original. There was no comparison to the yeti when it worked and the dumbed down strobed one now. Sure it’s a great ride still but it was a fantastic ride then.
As for the fans that want it fixed, well that just comes down to regular maintenance and actually caring about what was built originally. Go back and watch the Disney ads talking and showing this amazing animatronic.. pumping it up for all to see. They were right to be proud because it was amazing. But like so many things they let it go and it’s not what was intended. Shame because if more people actually rode it back then there might be some movement on fixing it with the uproar.
All that being said it’s a good ride. But it’s not amazing and hasn’t been for quite a long time.

JoeCamel

So disagree with almost your whole statement. 97% of guests don’t really care because that is probably the amount, maybe even 98-99% don’t even know about the original. There was no comparison to the yeti when it worked and the dumbed down strobed one now. Sure it’s a great ride still but it was a fantastic ride then.
As for the fans that want it fixed, well that just comes down to regular maintenance and actually caring about what was built originally. Go back and watch the Disney ads talking and showing this amazing animatronic.. pumping it up for all to see. They were right to be proud because it was amazing. But like so many things they let it go and it’s not what was intended. Shame because if more people actually rode it back then there might be some movement on fixing it with the uproar.
All that being said it’s a good ride. But it’s not amazing and hasn’t been for quite a long time.
Once upon a time there was a CEO that delighted in bringing new concepts in entertainment to life and upon seeing the work in progress would remark "that's fine but how can we plus this?", When met with a favorable response his reply was "that sounds fine let's do it".

No one asks "how can we plus this" any more, check the boxes and collect the money, nothing special here folks.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Once upon a time there was a CEO that delighted in bringing new concepts in entertainment to life and upon seeing the work in progress would remark "that's fine but how can we plus this?", When met with a favorable response his reply was "that sounds fine let's do it".

No one asks "how can we plus this" any more, check the boxes and collect the money, nothing special here folks.
Because they know they have fans who have the attitude of, "you don't really notice it and the rides still fun so, I'm good! Now off to get my limited edition Yeti cupcake."

ppete1975

over complicated animatronic that caused issues and would be too expensive to fix. It might be the best story roller coaster in the world (opinions vary, it is mine), and the yeti at the end doesnt matter. You could have sound effects that sound like hes right behind you until you escape the mountain and do the exact same thing.

If it had always been static, nobody would care.
If it had never been there, nobody would care
Yes it sucks it doesnt work now, but it really doesnt change the story or ride quality (outside of... "but it used to work")

The problem was they over complicated it and now to fix it would cost way more than they are willing to spend especially for the ROI.

We should have gotten something closer to the original Kong at universal, much simpler design even though it was one of the largest animatronics at its time, and never had an issue till it burned down. Bob Gurr has actually compared the two, although i cant find a quote or anything, i think it was on a podcast years ago. Basically saying that modern disney over complicates its animatronics, instead of simplifying them for repeatability, since they have to work.. then reset then work then reset thousands of times a day, it has to be simple to be reliable.

BlakeW39

over complicated animatronic that caused issues and would be too expensive to fix. It might be the best story roller coaster in the world (opinions vary, it is mine), and the yeti at the end doesnt matter. You could have sound effects that sound like hes right behind you until you escape the mountain and do the exact same thing.

Yes it sucks it doesnt work now, but it really doesnt change the story or ride quality (outside of... "but it used to work")

The problem was they over complicated it and now to fix it would cost way more than they are willing to spend especially for the ROI.

We should have gotten something closer to the original Kong at universal, much simpler design even though it was one of the largest animatronics at its time, and never had an issue till it burned down. Bob Gurr has actually compared the two, although i cant find a quote or anything, i think it was on a podcast years ago. Basically saying that modern disney over complicates its animatronics, instead of simplifying them for repeatability, since they have to work.. then reset then work then reset thousands of times a day, it has to be simple to be reliable.

How people can defend Disney on this blows my mind.

The yeti absolutely effects the quality of the ride. In a major way. Without it, Everest is not one of the best storycoasters in the world, it's entirely anticlimatic from a story perspective and middling from a coaster perspective.

If the yeti had never been there, Everest would not have been as popular as it was in 2006 and would have never even been CONSIDERED on the same level as a TOT or even a DL BTMR. Because it certainly isn't now.

Hagrid's kicks its @$$.

Bocabear

If it was the radical motion that was causing problems, it seems like they could have changed the motion range...of his arms were not in motion but his face and torso were moving...
unless it is completely and utterly ruined....then replace it. Animate the head and what can be moved, then projection map the cavern to appear as if it is collapsing...but bring back some motion and add the finale that is missing...
otherwise it is Space Mountain with the lights on....Seven Dwarfs without the Mine scene.... Flight Of Passage sitting on a banquet chair... The Yeti is an integral part of the story and show...

erasure fan1

But it wasn't always static and it has always been there. That's a pretty weak take.
I agree they over complicate it. I don't agree with the cost part. They are NOT going to bring it back to original "A" mode. Yes, that would cost too much money. But they can find a solution that isn't so lame. Sure it will cost money. But it won't be nearly as expensive as what is reported. Or at least it doesn't have to be.

BlakeW39

Because they know they have fans who have the attitude of, "you don't really notice it and the rides still fun so, I'm good! Now off to get my limited edition Yeti cupcake."

If you are a Disney fan, you should point blank not be defending Disney on this issue. The finale to one of their headline attractions has been broken for 17 years. For anyone to suggest that the loss of the yeti doesn't have any significant effect on the ride is insane. It was one of the ride's biggest moments, the climax, and the part of the ride that was advertised by Disney the most. And it's gone. The entire ride is worse because of it. And Disney has no desire to change that. If their reasoning for that is that the yeti was too complex.....build a new, simpler one. Infinitely better than nothing. Hell even a static figure is better than essentially having no yeti at all, which is what's basically going on now.

It's pathetic.

Last edited:

Incomudro

How people can defend Disney on this blows my mind.

The yeti absolutely effects the quality of the ride. In a major way. Without it, Everest is not one of the best storycoasters in the world, it's entirely anticlimatic from a story perspective and middling from a coaster perspective.

If the yeti had never been there, Everest would not have been as popular as it was in 2006 and would have never even been CONSIDERED on the same level as a TOT or even a DL BTMR. Because it certainly isn't now.

Hagrid's kicks its @$$.
I'd love the Yeti fixed, and it should be fixed or replaced but I don't believe it effects the ride much at all.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I'd love the Yeti fixed, and it should be fixed or replaced but I don't believe it effects the ride much at all.
I hate to admit that but since it’s only seen for a few seconds and some never even knew it moved when it did I tend to agree.

If it had never moved and was static and strobed like today we wouldn’t be asking for Disney to make it move, it would be ok.

I’d love to see it move again but it’s just never going to happen and honestly I’d rather them spend that money on something else that is more needed

BlakeW39

It categorically affects the ride. It was the narrative climax of the attraction. Without it, the ride's premise falls flat. You don't witness the power of mother nature lashing back. All the yeti does is rip your track out and then you have to leave. There's no sense of spectacle or threat in it. There's no "narrow escape."

Also it was the ride's best show scene. So EE goes from being a coaster with a major show scene to a coaster without a major show scene. In my opinion that's a big deal because the yeti is what made the ride a top tier story coaster. Without a major show scene all the ride really has in the way of theming is set dressing.

The "story" in story coaster is hampered by the ride's third act being neutered.

BlakeW39

If it had never moved and was static and strobed like today we wouldn’t be asking for Disney to make it move, it would be ok.

It would be ok.. and it is "ok." But if the ride never had a moving yeti it would have never even been mentioned in the same sentence as the true Disney classics. Currently, it's just a rollercoaster. It's alright, but as far as themed attractions go it is every bit of middle tier.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom