When are you going to fix that yeti?

erasure fan1

There are lots of rides at logs of parks that had effects that didnt work that only lasted a few weeks, and this is an effect that didnt work. They could completely remove him and it doesnt change anything.
That's where I disagree. I was there the first summer it opened and it was an awesome effect. Yea 99% of people don't know what it was. But that's 100% Disneys incompetence.
Example Haunted mansion, has had at least 2 effects removed due to they looked like crap and didnt work, but its not the only one.
So if they shut off the ballroom scene or eliminated the hitchhiking ghosts, it's still fine?
I think a better lighting package and a simple weighted arm that moved then reset would give the same effect. But for the people that want the original effect fixed, in todays current ROI disney culture I dont see it.
Go read the posts, no one thinks they are going to restore the Yeti to its original state. But it is not unreasonable to expect them to do better than spending $29.99 on a strobe light. And I'll stand by my weak take comment. They built it and it does exist. Would you say that for tower of terror, if the transition to the drop shaft stopped working and they never fixed it? Would it be fine if the indominus and Trex confrentation in Jurassic world just made some noise and just had a strobe on it? Absolutely not.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
A weak take lol. Only about 1 percent of people that go to Disney world ever saw it work, only probably 5 percent of the general public ever knew it did work. There are lots of rides at logs of parks that had effects that didnt work that only lasted a few weeks, and this is an effect that didnt work. They could completely remove him and it doesnt change anything. Example Haunted mansion, has had at least 2 effects removed due to they looked like crap and didnt work, but its not the only one. I appreciate they swing for the fences and dont always do the easy copy cat thing thats at all parks, because they usually work. This one didnt, and doesnt affect the story.

I think a better lighting package and a simple weighted arm that moved then reset would give the same effect. But for the people that want the original effect fixed, in todays current ROI disney culture I dont see it. I would love to be wrong. But would it be something that would really draw people? OR would putting that money towards more attractions be better.

And since it goes over the track, can Animal Kingdom in its current state work well with EE closed for a lengthy time. Which goes back to more rides are needed.
Bad show is bad show. Stop excusing away their laziness.

Disstevefan1

A weak take lol. Only about 1 percent of people that go to Disney world ever saw it work, only probably 5 percent of the general public ever knew it did work. There are lots of rides at logs of parks that had effects that didnt work that only lasted a few weeks, and this is an effect that didnt work. They could completely remove him and it doesnt change anything. Example Haunted mansion, has had at least 2 effects removed due to they looked like crap and didnt work, but its not the only one. I appreciate they swing for the fences and dont always do the easy copy cat thing thats at all parks, because they usually work. This one didnt, and doesnt affect the story.

I think a better lighting package and a simple weighted arm that moved then reset would give the same effect. But for the people that want the original effect fixed, in todays current ROI disney culture I dont see it. I would love to be wrong. But would it be something that would really draw people? OR would putting that money towards more attractions be better.

And since it goes over the track, can Animal Kingdom in its current state work well with EE closed for a lengthy time. Which goes back to more rides are needed.
Yea, the current ROI disney culture really shows in D+ and their movies. 🤣

BlakeW39

It categorically doesn’t affect the ride. Because other than some personal subjective opinions from a very small minority of fanatics and message board posters, there has been no real effect on ridership. When they yeti stopped working so many moons ago, you didn’t see a drop off in ridership. You didn’t see people skipping the ride bc the yeti wasn’t working. You didn’t see all of a sudden the line drop to walk on status and no one using fast passes (or now lightening lane.).

The ride is a pretty consistent draw for people at the parks, with multip repeat riders. The idea that Disney should shut down a major ride, robbing the vast majority of park attendees of the experience and spend money for something that isn’t really missed is absurd.

No that is actually factually incorrect.

"affect: have an effect on; make a difference to"

Everest without the yeti is categorically different from Everest with the yeti. Therefore the current state of the yeti, or lack thereof, does affect the ride experience for guests, necessarily. You may not feel that effect is significant.... but the fact remains that it was the ride's one major showscene/animatronic and it is basically not even there anymore, because of how little lighting they get out of the strobe effect.

BlakeW39

Did you ever see it work? 99 percent of the people on here havent.
Everyone has their own opinion, and you are certainly allowed to yours.
To me its still the best story coaster in the world. Especially for people that have no idea what the ride is and dont know it goes backwards or what will happen. The re-rideability is super high, its one of those rides that you can just go again and again. The theming is spot on. You could have the same effect with just sound through your headset in the seats, I think some disney fans just want to complain about something. To say that one effect makes it either at 10+ or a 2 is ludicrous.

Everest is still super popular and the yeti hasnt worked in decades, so clearly it hasnt hurt its popularity, and look at the smiles from the people that get off.

I have mentioned on this thread and others that I never saw the yeti in motion— yet I can objectively take note that it is an important element of the story the ride is trying to tell. It's the climax of the ride, the finale. To suggest that removing it doesn't affect the ride is either wrong, OR implies that the finale was bad to begin with. So which is it? Was the yeti not serving its purpose to begin with? Because if it was, and isn't now, then based in simply logic its absence has a negative effect on the ride experience.

ppete1975

I have mentioned on this thread and others that I never saw the yeti in motion— yet I can objectively take note that it is an important element of the story the ride is trying to tell. It's the climax of the ride, the finale. To suggest that removing it doesn't affect the ride is either wrong, OR implies that the finale was bad to begin with. So which is it? Was the yeti not serving its purpose to begin with? Because if it was, and isn't now, then based in simply logic its absence has a negative effect on the ride experience.
Youre entitled to your opinion, clearly the fact that it doesnt work offends you. And it doesnt affect the ride. The ending is you escape the mountain with the yeti almost catching you. That still happens. It doesnt end in a cliffhanger. The story is much more there than the beloved potc, or hm. So story wise, it changes nothing. Should we get an improvement, once again yes. Does the original animatronic have to work or this is the worst ride of all time... no. Its the same enjoyable ride, with an effect that doesnt work, and isnt a cheap easily fixed repair. Unlike half of the rides at Disney parks that have broken effects that would be cheaply fixed, some of which do impact the story. I would say the cannons on ROTR (which is a timing issue) is a much cheaper fix that impacts the story just as much if not more.
The static cannons are still there and they used to move... wheres the outrage on that. And that could be fixed.. today.

Smiley/OCD

Yes, it qualifies as bad show since it's still being advertised, by them, on their site, as an encounter with a Yeti. That's the whole build up of the ride. It's still a fun roller coaster, even if you gut the queue and eliminate all the special effects. That doesn't mean they should.

That's really the exact sticking up for Disney that I was talking about. The difficulty is high if they are completely reinstating original A mode. Like I said, that ship has sailed. They need to come up with a solution that pays off the Yeti encounter. I'm no imagineer, but I'm sure they can find a better fix than a spirit Halloween strobe light.
Yes!! Plus, they need the strobe light to illuminate the crown on Tiana’s water tower…

ppete1975

That's where I disagree. I was there the first summer it opened and it was an awesome effect. Yea 99% of people don't know what it was. But that's 100% Disneys incompetence.

So if they shut off the ballroom scene or eliminated the hitchhiking ghosts, it's still fine?

Go read the posts, no one thinks they are going to restore the Yeti to its original state. But it is not unreasonable to expect them to do better than spending $29.99 on a strobe light. And I'll stand by my weak take comment. They built it and it does exist. Would you say that for tower of terror, if the transition to the drop shaft stopped working and they never fixed it? Would it be fine if the indominus and Trex confrentation in Jurassic world just made some noise and just had a strobe on it? Absolutely not.
From a story pov him working or not changes nothing. You are still escaping the mountain with the yeti almost getting you. From a story pov you can do that with sound or a static yeti.
Haunted mansion hatbox ghost.. removed, up for debate spider guy. Cannons at ROTR havent worked in months (which also was an amazing effect, that has no impact on the story.
IVe read the posts, you still have dozens of people wanting them to fix the yeti to original.

Im done debating it.

erasure fan1

From a story pov him working or not changes nothing. You are still escaping the mountain with the yeti almost getting you. From a story pov you can do that with sound or a static yeti.
Haunted mansion hatbox ghost.. removed, up for debate spider guy. Cannons at ROTR havent worked in months (which also was an amazing effect, that has no impact on the story.
You could say that any singular effect removed, on any attraction would have no impact on the story. I guess I just have a higher standard for Disney and what set them apart in the industry. They are where they are because of those details that "have no impact on the story". I won't ever give Disney a pass for mediocrity, so agree to disagree.

BlakeW39

I'm still struggling to see how someone can defend Disney on this issue... it's truly baffling how this company can do literally anything it wants, decrease the quality of its product, insult its fanbase, and certain fans will still defend them. The yeti is emblematic of all the problems with modern Disney. The dumb average guest doesn't care, so why should we? The fans don't matter. Small niche group. Who cares. Appeal to the absolute lowest common denominator. that is the way. 🙄

Smiley/OCD

You know what would be awesome…after TWDC fixes the Yeti…they install the same sensors that are in the seats of ITT BaB so as his arm swoops down, you get a little “goose” in your seat…hey, they can take ‘em out of Stitch, dust ‘em off and…

RSoxNo1

It is not if they can fix it but many factors like who will pay, does legal clear a moving heavy object above guests? like that. Physically it could be fixed without pulling the mountain down or other myths that arose around the failure to restore the AA but lots of factors would have to align to get it done.
The mantra today is "does it make a return and is the return in line with our mandates" not how can we make the guests feel special
I'd like to think this would be some low hanging fruit that they could have done as a D23 Expo announcement last year. What it tells me is that the Hatbox Ghost is cheaper as a brand new addition.

RSoxNo1

You blink and you miss Disco Yeti. There'd be no issue if the ride was Yeti-less for a few days during a transition. The ride doesn't have to go down except maybe a day or two. It goes down longer for yearly maintenance.
The ride has only had one major refurbishment. Aside from the yeti it's been very reliable since opening.

RSoxNo1

Also, 97% of guests don't really care. Fixing the Yeti only matters to a very small group of obsessive-compulsive fans. It's good that these radicalized fans have this to occupy their time.
They literally don't know what they're missing. It's hard to measure the impact a functioning yeti will have on people who aren't aware of it's existence in the first place.
I hate to say it. But the projection tech they used for Jack Sparrow in that Pirates encounter thing they did in the studios back in he day, would be much better than a strobe light.
A dark environment like the mountain is a potential great use for the musion (or similar) tech. I'd love to see the yeti fixed with additional effects like this added. I'd also like to see them deal with the light bleed on the backwards section. Honestly, that grates at me more than the Yeti at times because a couple of black tarps could probably fix it.

donaldtoo

Also, 97% of guests don't really care. Fixing the Yeti only matters to a very small group of obsessive-compulsive fans. It's good that these radicalized fans have this to occupy their time.

Yes, because expecting Disney to maintain the bar they set and advertised so heavily on the Travel Channel, etc. is so damn “radical”…!!!!! 🤪 :hilarious::cyclops::rolleyes:

donaldtoo

I'll repeat the usual PSA, Phil is a troll. Nothing he says should be taken seriously.

I just thought he was…

A3622A64-0EC1-4283-96F7-E6FA47656FF1.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom