Wheelchairs and Strollers Oh My!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawyerfan87

Original Poster
The only problem I have with disney is the overpopulated use of wheelchairs and strollers. It makes it very difficult to walk around the park and its hard to enjoy with my family. I would go further but I like to hear your thoughts/concerns:shrug:

I'm really just amazed at how HUGE both strollers and motorized wheelchairs have become in recent years. They're practically cars, and they're dangerous, and unfortunately some people driving them are careless (and or thoughtless) about how they maneuver through the parks.

Why does a stroller in WDW have to be so gigantic? I don't get it. And some parents just act so entitled and obnoxious about how they push them right into the middle of a crowded area.

I'm surprised there aren't more rules about this and that more people, especially kids or seniors, don't get hurt when these things smash into them.

daliseurat

Wheelchairs an RVCs don't bother me. Most of the folks using them are pretty considerate. And they need them to get somewhere.

Strollers on the other hand...

I hated when I had to use one. I bought the smallest one I could.

And it IS amazing how many people use the stroller as an excuse to shove there way through, and to take up extra space while waiting for a parade or show.

And then there are the geniuses who are waiting for a bus, but don't bother to fold up their stuff and the stroller until they are about to get on the bus, when they had plenty of time to do it while waiting.

And I'm shocked at how many people have strollers for children who are far too old for one. 6 and 7 years olds don't need a stroller. I took my child's stroller away when she was three, and she never complained.

I do think Disney should just outlaw double wide strollers.

But the problem isn't really the strollers. It's the inconsiderate folks using them. And those folks make it tough on everyone who IS being considerate with their stroller.

raven

I've always had a problem with it as well. Fantasyland is the worst. You can break your neck trying to get into seeing Mickey's Philharmagic:
WDW07574.jpg

Over at EPCOT, The Land is bad as well. Last April we saw this sign:
WDWspring2008305.jpg

If you look beyond the sign you can see what good it did. A few yards later was this sign:
WDWspring2008306.jpg

Still, you can see people ignoring it. They even made a special place for stroller parking for the land before you walk up the ramp. Only about 5 strollers were parked in it. :fork:

I really wish management would do something about this. Stationing CM's at these points would solve a lot of problems. And, heaven forbid me saying this, but maybe a charge for kids under 3 years old for once would greatly make a difference. Don't see that happening though.

tigsmom

The only problem I have with disney is the overpopulated use of wheelchairs and strollers. It makes it very difficult to walk around the park and its hard to enjoy with my family. I would go further but I like to hear your thoughts/concerns:shrug:

No, no you wouldn't.

:zipit:

pjulie75

Now I have taken the bait.........it does look really funny to see the Stroller Parking Lot but come on, it really is a necessity. As a mum of twins the twin stroller is essential, how else do I transport my twins, 1 in pram and 1 on my shoulders?!:hammer: Disney is for all ages and the young children are a major market for Disney, toys, clothes, spinning light things, Dress up outfits, so it really is a market Disney need cater for. I have experienced the opposite with pushing stroller, people just walking straight into you, I had some kids sit in the pram while we were waiting for the parade (resourceful - found themselves a good seat:lol:), people not holding doors open. The problem of strollers I understand can be annoying, but it isn't ideal for me but a necessity and it seems everyone else who doesn't need one sees us getting in their way. We are not, we are just trying to get around the park too. I was even caught with one wheel stuck in the tram tracks on Main Street and had a mass of hundreds of people on a stampede to leave the park, did anyone help, did they heck.......I am delighted that my kids are 5 and will not need a stroller now, so I will see it from another angle, but will always understand the struggles of a Stroller Pushing Parent.:animwink:

NewfieFan

Seeing lots of strollers means that the parks are full of people (families with small children included), which means that the parks are making lots of money, which means there will be lots of money for new rides, attractions, restaurants, etc. So thank your lucky stars there are lots of strollers in the parks or you'd be seeing more cutbacks!

Get over it people... strollers are part of our lifestyle now (and they are part of our vacation lifestyle as well). The strollers are not going anywhere any time soon.

Oh, and you can look for me in Sept. with my two children both in strollers (one of which is 5 years old *gasp*)!:wave:

lisak09

Wheelchairs an RVCs don't bother me. Most of the folks using them are pretty considerate. And they need them to get somewhere.

Strollers on the other hand...

I hated when I had to use one. I bought the smallest one I could.

And it IS amazing how many people use the stroller as an excuse to shove there way through, and to take up extra space while waiting for a parade or show.

And then there are the geniuses who are waiting for a bus, but don't bother to fold up their stuff and the stroller until they are about to get on the bus, when they had plenty of time to do it while waiting.

And I'm shocked at how many people have strollers for children who are far too old for one. 6 and 7 years olds don't need a stroller. I took my child's stroller away when she was three, and she never complained.

I do think Disney should just outlaw double wide strollers.

But the problem isn't really the strollers. It's the inconsiderate folks using them. And those folks make it tough on everyone who IS being considerate with their stroller.
I don't use a stroller for my 6 year old at home but i did rent them in the parks when we there during the last two weeks. This is simply because of the heat, she might be well able to get around without one at home but its a different story in the florida heat. I'm amazed anyone has a problem with it to be honest when we're talking about children. Also although some people might be inconsiderate to others while using them, this doesn't mean we all are.

mickeymatt

I found that in MK it is best not to rent a stroller at the beginning of the day. We went straight to Fantasyland and TTF. It is so much easier to manuever without the stroller since fantasyland, TTF, and frontierland are always so compact. That said, toddlers legs tire out easily so strollers are a necessity. I don't think they are overused as much as park attendance keeps growing every year and well, it crowded. That why most of us try to plan our trips in the off season as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom