What's with the wait times!? (hint.. they're low)

mandelbrot

Double agree. How is Guardians who many called a Chapek cheap overlay doing better than a new Star Wars attraction? Chapek can at least claim the success of one cheap makeover. Now do the second one. Overlay Batuu as Tatooine. Ha ha. Will they do it?

Anyways, I will be at DCA soon for Halloween. I won’t be able to ride Monsters After Dark with 75 minutes wait unless I’m willing to waste most of my evening for one ride.
Guardians is still FUN! Millennium Falcon is not fun. Physical thrills will always matter in theme park attractions.

Disney Analyst

Another sunny September Friday with no AP blockouts. And the pedestrian bridge opened today! Let's see what happens with the wait times this evening after work. But right now things aren't too busy in the parks, except for Splash Mt. because it's sunny and hot and Radiator Racers because of John Lassetter.

Here are the various Star Wars and Halloween themed wait times at 2:30, plus the longest waits;

Luigi's Honkin' Haul-O-Ween, Mater's Junkyard JamBOOree - 5 Minutes
Star Tours - 10 Minutes
Guardians of the Galaxy (regular daytime version) - 15 Minutes
Haunted Mansion Holiday - 25 Minutes
Hyperspace Mountain - 30 Minutes
Millennium Falcon - 35 Minutes
Radiator Springs Racers - 60 Minutes
Splash Mountain - 65 Minutes

It’s a nope from me.

TP2000

Guardians is still FUN! Millennium Falcon is not fun. Physical thrills will always matter in theme park attractions.

It's 7:30pm now, and the Friday after-work AP crowd has descended again this evening. Wait times have bumped up for all the Halloween rides, but actually dropped for Millennium Falcon.

Referencing the above, today's 2:30pm wait times are in blue, and the current 7:30pm wait times are in red.

Luigi's Honkin' Haul-O-Ween - 5 Minutes 30 Minutes
Incredicoaster - 5 Minutes 25 Minutes
Star Tours - 10 Minutes 15 Minutes
Guardians of the Galaxy - (regular daytime version) 15 Minutes (Monsters After Dark! version) 75 Minutes
Haunted Mansion Holiday - 25 Minutes 50 Minutes
Hyperspace Mountain - 30 Minutes 45 Minutes
Millennium Falcon: Target Run - 35 Minutes 25 Minutes
Radiator Springs Racers - 60 Minutes 90 Minutes

This is not the first time this crowd/demand trend has played out for Star Wars Land, and it won't be the last.

I would think as the fall rolls along this would be increasingly troubling for TDA and Burbank, although WDI execs in Glendale will probably blame someone else (marketing, hurricanes, Knott's Scary Farm, record low unemployment, snack bar CM's who don't say Bright Suns! enough, the homeless living in the riverbed, Chapek, or all of the above).

And yet they are running commercials in SoCal for a decorated food court patio with Plaza de la Familia???

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

It's 7:30pm now, and the Friday after-work AP crowd has descended again this evening. Wait times have bumped up for all the Halloween rides, but actually dropped for Millennium Falcon.

Referencing the above, today's 2:30pm wait times are in blue, and the current 7:30pm wait times are in red.

Guardians of the Galaxy - (regular daytime version) 15 Minutes (Monsters After Dark! version) 75 Minutes

I feel like DCA is the new AP hangout?

BubbaQuest

It’s a nope from me.

Glad to see Disney still can't figure out how to handle the AP crowds.

And these numbers still baffle me.

choco choco

So seasonal overlays are proving more popular than billion dollar expansions... well I guess we see the future. Prepare for xyz festivals non stop like Epcot of the last 5 years.

I wouldn't (if I were Disney) conclude that.

It's just that this particular season is very popular because of its iconography, ominous atmosphere and base idea in the supernatural. The macabre environment and decorations you can create out of it just lends itself to a particular fun. Halloween is popular just about everywhere, across all cultures - even when it's not specifically called Halloween - and has been an ever-growing and insatiable in-demand industry year after year.

Apart from maybe Christmas (then again, nobody makes Christmas mazes), there's no comparable seasonal festival that has as rich a tapestry of lore and base archetypes to tap into. That's not repeatable and can't be manufactured, even by Disney.

sponono88

It's been that way since Cars Land opened, then ElecTRONica, Mad T Party, etc.

I would have thought Star Wars Land would reverse that trend. But it doesn't even seem to have made a dent.

I think this trend will continue unless DL starts selling alcohol (which probably won't happen anytime soon outside the cantina). The lines for alcohol at DCA have been very long, especially now that they're selling Halloween-themed cocktails and beers. I was there last night and 15-20$ Oogie Boogie and cotton candy vodka drinks were selling like hotcakes.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I think this trend will continue unless DL starts selling alcohol (which probably won't happen anytime soon outside the cantina). The lines for alcohol at DCA have been very long, especially now that they're selling Halloween-themed cocktails and beers. I was there last night and 15-20$ Oogie Boogie and cotton candy vodka drinks were selling like hotcakes.

I may have misunderstood that last sentence. It's $20 for a shot of vodka and cotton candy?

Snow Queen

The Hollywood Lounge (next to Monster's Inc.) sells the Supernatural Spirit which is a mixed drink containing Cotton Candy Vodka and Cotton Candy Lemonade (with a glow cube). That drink is $17.
Wait...that place is still open? I assumed it had been closed, I haven't seen anyone over there the last few trips.

Mind, I do try to avert my eyes when I walk through the Hollywood Backlot. Eyes on the ground, don't take in the poor theming...

TP2000

Summer came crashing to an end this week in SoCal, with unusually cool and overcast and drizzly weather.
Don't tell Al Gore, but this is very odd as late September is often when we get our hottest and driest days of the year.

Tonight it's overcast and cool with another round of rain showers forecast for after Midnight, but that didn't stop a big surge of local AP's from descending en masse at Disneyland this evening. The weather may be unusual for late September, but the crowds are not.

Wait times at 8:00pm Pacific...

Millennium Falcon: Target Run - 30 Minutes
Haunted Mansion Holiday - 60 Minutes
Hyperspace Mountain - 50 Minutes
Guardians of the Galaxy: Monsters After Dark! - 80 Minutes
Luigi's Honkin' Haul-O-Ween - 35 Minutes
Incredicoaster - 40 Minutes
Midway Mania - 60 Minutes
Matterhorn Bobsleds - 65 Minutes

But don't worry, according to Bob Chapek earlier this week, Star Wars Land is exceeding all expectations and it's why they were able to release Catherine Powell from her job. Yay! Big Win! Success! Thanks Cathy, now leave! Ahora! 💩

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Summer came crashing to an end this week in SoCal, with unusually cool and overcast and drizzly weather. Don't tell Al Gore, but this is very odd as late September is often when we get our hottest and driest days of the year. But not this year.

Tonight it's overcast and cool with another round of rain showers forecast for after Midnight, but that didn't stop a big surge of local AP's from descending en masse at Disneyland this evening. The weather may be unusual for late September, but the crowds are not.

Wait times at 8:00pm Pacific...

Millennium Falcon: Target Run - 30 Minutes
Haunted Mansion Holiday - 60 Minutes
Hyperspace Mountain - 50 Minutes
Guardians of the Galaxy: Monsters After Dark! - 80 Minutes
Luigi's Honkin' Haul-O-Ween - 35 Minutes
Incredicoaster - 40 Minutes
Midway Mania - 60 Minutes
Matterhorn Bobsleds - 65 Minutes

But don't worry, according to Bob Chapek earlier this week, Star Wars Land is exceeding all expectations and it's why they were able to release Catherine Powell from her job. Yay! Big Win! Success! Thanks Cathy, now leave! Ahora! 💩
I wouldn't wait 60 seconds let alone a hour for HMH!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom