What's up with the Animal Kingdom Parade?

Grumpy_Midget

Original Poster
Not a rant here- I am a full time WDW fan. Annual passholder and I go almost every weekend. Sometimes twice a weekend. I've still not ridden every ride, eaten at every restaurant, or seen every show, but after countless visits I have a general knowledge better than most.

So here's my question: what's up with the Animal Kingdom parade? Celebrate a Dream Come True is great. I've seen it about 20 times and I still love it. I know the dances to it despite my children's embarrassment when I do it in public. I love the high energy of the Block Party Bash which is more or less a parade as well. I love all the parades- except for the Animal Kingdom parade. What's the deal with that parade?

Basically if you've never seen it it's about 5 or 6 characters and people on stilts who are actors in the Lion King show. Then they pick park customers to ride in floats which are really lame animals made to look like pedal vehicles. Then you have regular Disney employees walking in the parade that just have Crocodile Hunter type vests / hats on. It's just not Disney quality.

Has anybody else noticed this? It's really weird. 99% of everything in Disney is just beyond belief in terms of creativity. But then with this parade, you walk away like, "What the heck was that?"

Also, I'm really upset that Animal Kingdom has no midgets. Magic Kingdom has Small World and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Epcot has trolls in Norway. Hollywood Studios has little people in the Great Movie Ride for the Wizard of Oz. Where are the little people in Animal Kingdom! Under representation!

Quite frankly AK's Jammin' Jungle Parade is my favourite daytime parade. I love the music and everything about the parade. I love the larger than life animal floats and the music is fantastic and gets me dancing in place. Share a Dream Come True I can take or leave, but I gotta see Jammin' Jungle every trip.

EaglesfanNJ

Also, I'm really upset that Animal Kingdom has no midgets. Magic Kingdom has Small World and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Epcot has trolls in Norway. Hollywood Studios has little people in the Great Movie Ride for the Wizard of Oz. Where are the little people in Animal Kingdom! Under representation![/QUOTE]

Welcome to the boards! First things first... I saw the Jungle Parade once, and that was enough for me... it's just not even close in any way shape or form to the other parades in Disney. And for us time better served riding the safari while the crowds are at the parade.

As far as your quote above, obviously i need to tread lightly. But, my first question is...why? Why could you possibly be upset that a theme park THEMED WITH ANIMALS...has no, umm, midgets? (I'm not even sure i can use the word midget? Is that PC?). Should Disney just insert midgets in African tribe gear so that the little people of the world are covered?

goonie007

I enjoy the Jammin' Jungle Parade personally I think the music is catchy and the floats are fluid and artistic in their movements but to each his own. As far as the need for more midgets outcry I have no comment lol

Grumpy_Midget

Original Poster
okay well it's different for sure.

Okay, well it's different for sure and again I'm a big time Disney fan. I just think it could have a bit more to make it better. And as far as little people I'm not trying to be offensive I just think that they add a lot for younger kids. My kids are very small and they relate to these characters as they are their size.

Maybe they should add some animals to the parade.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
I am not a huge parade person by any means. The night parades are a lot more easy to handle. The MNSSHP is amazing. I got bored at MVMCP though, It seemed like it was never going to end. Dreams Come True Parade is okay. DHS parade I have no desire to see it. However the AK parade was very weird. We got stuck in it one day and it was odd...very odd. I will agree with you on that. As for the "midgets"...I wouldn't count the trolls in Epcot. You see them for what...10 seconds? If you're a kid you are probably duck ing (its spaced because the actual word is censored) your head scared during the part of Maelstrom where the trolls are.

I never understood why people are obsessed with midgets. I further don't understand stand the "bigger" morons (the midgets) to allow themselves to be subject to these peoples humor. Sorry if this comment is out of place but are you sure its not YOU who likes the midgets and not your kids? I mean midget IS in YOUR name.

Fantasmic

None of the regular day parades are worth seeing IMHO. ACtually, the only parade worth watching is Boo to You.

Never watched the Animal Kingdom Parade in full, but from what I've seen, I'm not impressed.

mickeysshoes

Been a really long time since i have seen the parade so i dont remember it...BUT i love the music. Have it on a CD and listen to it all the time!!!

EaglesfanNJ

I am not a huge parade person by any means. The night parades are a lot more easy to handle. The MNSSHP is amazing. I got bored at MVMCP though, It seemed like it was never going to end. Dreams Come True Parade is okay. DHS parade I have no desire to see it. However the AK parade was very weird. We got stuck in it one day and it was odd...very odd. I will agree with you on that. As for the "midgets"...I wouldn't count the trolls in Epcot. You see them for what...10 seconds? If you're a kid you are probably duck ing (its spaced because the actual word is censored) your head scared during the part of Maelstrom where the trolls are.

I never understood why people are obsessed with midgets. I further don't understand stand the "bigger" morons (the midgets) to allow themselves to be subject to these peoples humor. Sorry if this comment is out of place but are you sure its not YOU who likes the midgets and not your kids? I mean midget IS in YOUR name.

As usual, black nails it on the head... I had my first MNSSHP experience this past October and by far was the best parade experience at Disney for us. We've seen the recent MK offerings, we've seen the DHS offering, and DAK...none come close. The parade alone made made admission to the party worth it for us.

And if you do it right you have an oppurtunity to tour a wide open park while others watch the first parade, and then watch the second, less crowded parade from a great view.

the-reason14

I agree with you op, The AK parade is the one parade I do not like. I'm not a huge fan of watching parades in general, but I remember seeing that one and not liking it at all.

Grumpy_Midget

Original Poster

Ah, is Mickey a big mouse with black ears? You bet I like midgets! (or trolls, munchkins, lollipop guild members, dwarfs, whatever you want to call them).

_Scar

I'm complete opposite.

I cannot stand MK's parade and LOVE MJJP

MK's CadCT (is that the name? so cliche...)

It really offers nothing that Disney fans already hasn't seen. It's just bland.

MJJP is different with new outfits, floats, and unique art.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
In short? It was added to keep guests in a half day park longer than a half day, and in a park not designed for true parades.

Mr Bill

For those who find the MVMCP parade (or any parade) too long, I have a simple tip. Catch the parade when it starts at the end of the route, for example in Frontierland. Once the parade starts here, simply start walking back towards the beginning of the route. You now have a parade in fast-forward! :)

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
For those who find the MVMCP parade (or any parade) too long, I have a simple tip. Catch the parade when it starts at the end of the route, for example in Frontierland. Once the parade starts here, simply start walking back towards the beginning of the route. You now have a parade in fast-forward! :)

I agree. The next MVMCP we attend we will probably ride Space Mountain 7 times in a row instead of watching the parade!

David S.

Wow, different strokes for different folks, I guess!

I LOVE Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade! Both the standard version and the Christmas version known as Mickey's Jingle Jungle Parade!

I find it to be an extremely fun and festive celebration of animals, and I find the music extremely catchy! I think the parade fits the theme of the park PERFECTLY and I prefer it to Celebrate A Dream Come True and MUCH more than Block Party Bash!

Also, I never understood the stigma of AK supposedly being a "half-day park". I can be a hard-core open-to-close type of parkgoer, and, going at my usual efficient but thorough and comfortable type of pace, have never COME CLOSE to doing everything this park has to offer in a half-day. In fact, I've never finished the park on any FULL day when it closes at 5 PM or 6PM. Only on days with a 7 or 8 PM close have I done every attraction - ride, show, and animal exhibit - without feeling rushed. Of course, I can easily spend at LEAST 1/2 hour in the Affection Section and still not want to leave, at LEAST another 1/2 hour in Conservation Station, and spend AT LEAST 1/2 hour EACH on the 4 main animal trails in Oasis, Discovery Island, Africa, and Asia.

Throw in the 3 shows (Flights of Wonder, Lion King, and Nemo), the Safari, It's Tough To Be a Bug, Everest, Kali, all of Dinoland, the parade, and I don't think it's even mathematically possible to do all this in a half day, not that I would ever try because the whole point of AK to me is to slow down and get in touch with Nature and savor the animals! :)

I think the only way it could possibly be done would be to rush through the self-guided animal exhibits, but to me these are the heart and soul of the park and I would not get nearly as much out of the experience if I did this.

Also, in addition to the numorous self-guided animal attractions, AK is VERY rich in theming details such as architecture, propping, and music loops, and these can be enjoyed much more by savoring them rather than rushing by in the rush to get on the next "major ride".

PS. Regarding the MK Christmas parade, I LOVE that one, too! It makes me feel festive and Christmasy and I appreciate the long runtime!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
I LOVED the original Parade of the Art-imals (was that the actual name?)at DAK many years ago. I thought it was one of the most creative and interesting artistic entertainment options in the parks.

When they scaled it down and re-imagined it to make sure it had characters, I was sadly disappointed but didn't complain because I avoided seeing it. Next week will be the first time I'm intentionally going to see the Jammin' Jungle Parade and after all these comments I am more interested in it than ever...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom