What's the deal with the resort mugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizards8507

I've been a member of this community for just about a year now and I've heard several jokes about the refillable resort mugs. I admit, I don't understand the joke, so I'm just curious as to what the debate itself actually is.

sweetpee_1993

The "joke" is that it's not uncommon to see people at the resort refilling mugs that were obviously purchased many, many years ago because the designs on them haven't been used in so long. The refillable mugs are supposed to be used for the trip that they were purchased on. I don't think you're supposed to take them to other resorts, either. Then sometimes you see people with some random gas station 32 oz. plastic cup shamelessly filling away. That situation is pretty blatant theft. LOL!

It's a hot-topic sorta like pool hopping, lying about kids ages, and pulling your kids out of school to go to WDW just because there's a certain amount of moral debate that gets involved. That's never a good recipe for seeing eye-to-eye on anything. :lol:

Upvote 0

Disneydreamer23

Im so one of those people.. I go in September and December.. but its the same mug... so does that count? I dont want to buy 2 more mugs when i have the same 2 already ...

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Im so one of those people.. I go in September and December.. but its the same mug... so does that count? I dont want to buy 2 more mugs when i have the same 2 already ...

Exactly why it's a hot topic. The mug you buy is good for free refills for the duration of the trip and at the resort at which you buy it.

Upvote 0

Scoob

Kinda off topic, but we'll be staying at the Polynesian this Friday:sohappy:

Are theses mugs the plastic kind like at the 7-11 or are they actaully kinda nice souvenirs? I saw they are about $13...

Upvote 0

yoyoflamingo

Kinda off topic, but we'll be staying at the Polynesian this Friday:sohappy:

Are theses mugs the plastic kind like at the 7-11 or are they actaully kinda nice souvenirs? I saw they are about $13...

they are plastic travel mugs, but pretty study and pretty decent for souvenir. Similar to popcorn buckets: some people love to collect, while others don't mind skipping them.

If you're planning on using the food court at your hotel a lot, then it's a good deal, IMO.

Upvote 0

wizards8507

Original Poster

You could probably get a nicer one for less than $13 if all you wanted was a souvenir, but you wouldn't get to fill it up for drinks your whole trip.

Upvote 0

Minnie1976

When we were there in April, they were selling the same mug at all the hotels. So how do they know where you are staying. We didn't buy at one hotel because we weren't staying there and they told us we couldn't use it anywhere else. When we went to our hotel, it was the same mug. Believe me for the prices they charge over and above normal prices, they aren't losing any money. Things are overpriced. I paid over $12 for suntan lotion that I would have paid $6 at home. So I don't feel bad if I get a few drinks at other hotels.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

When we were there in April, they were selling the same mug at all the hotels. So how do they know where you are staying. We didn't buy at one hotel because we weren't staying there and they told us we couldn't use it anywhere else. When we went to our hotel, it was the same mug. Believe me for the prices they charge over and above normal prices, they aren't losing any money. Things are overpriced. I paid over $12 for suntan lotion that I would have paid $6 at home. So I don't feel bad if I get a few drinks at other hotels.

That's the thing. Even when it's a really old mug, it's really obvious, and a CM is standing right next to the guest as they are filling it at the drink station they almost never say anything about it. There's a certain amount of honor system that is relied upon. Several years back each resort had their own resort decorated mug which would make it easy to tell but those went the way of all the other generic merch. Even then, people with old mugs from other resorts would be filling away.......

Upvote 0

wizards8507

Original Poster
When we were there in April, they were selling the same mug at all the hotels. So how do they know where you are staying... So I don't feel bad if I get a few drinks at other hotels.

Technically that's against the rules but I don't think they're too concerned. I can't really imagine a situation where I (or the average guest) would carry a mug to another resort and steal soda out of their food court. If I'm going to another resort, I'm probably going because I have an ADR at a table service restaurant, not to hang out in the cafeteria.

Side note, they used to have unique mugs for each resort.

Upvote 0

LeafsFanNL

The old resort specific mugs were so much nicer.

I don't reuse mugs because I would be uncomfortable having my kids seeing me do it. I am not in the least bothered if others do so.

Upvote 0

Finallyin09

I resuse

I reuse every day....I take my coffee to work in it just about every day!
Makes me smile, thinking of last trip and future trip!!!:animwink:

Upvote 0

Missymoe4

I reuse every day....I take my coffee to work in it just about every day!
Makes me smile, thinking of last trip and future trip!!!:animwink:

I do too!!!
It makes those "too cool" high schoolers I teach begin talking about their WDW memories. A fantastic way to start any day!!

Oops, off topic...my apologies.

On topic now: last year I had a conversation with an older man staying in the Contemporary about his "old" mug. The older style--the resort specific style totally rocked--and I still have mine, but don't carry it with me when I head back to WDW each year. Anyhow, the older gentlemen I was talking with told me he refuses to ever buy another mug--that his first purchase of the mug in the '90s will be his only--and every time he comes back to the Contemporary he brings his mugs and will continue to refill them until someone tells him to stop. I have no problem with him doing this for I'm on vacation and not ready to go into 'fight' mode over little things such as pop. Maybe I'm a bad person for I don't think of it as stealing either. If you look around the cafeteria area, almost every one has a mug, and families have multiple ones. At $13 a mug, Disney is making out or even on the deal. Now, for those people who bring in a mug that is non-WDW (7-11, gas station, etc.) then I do frown upon you--that seriously is just plain tacky. At least those people who reuse older mugs PAID the money at one point. And, really, how much pop/tea/coffee/water can a person really consume that would ever put Disney out of business over it?

But I did have an issue with the Contemporary shutting off the soda fountains pretty early. I'm used to the 'food and fun center' being 24 hours and heck, at 2 am after emh, I'd like a cold drink. :slurp:

Upvote 0

wizards8507

Original Poster
But I did have an issue with the Contemporary shutting off the soda fountains pretty early. I'm used to the 'food and fun center' being 24 hours and heck, at 2 am after emh, I'd like a cold drink. :slurp:

Lol the cold drink I'd like after 2am EMH can't be found in any soda fountain.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Lol the cold drink I'd like after 2am EMH can't be found in any soda fountain.

Ditto! :D

However, I do empathize with the above poster's point...I would love to be able to get a cold drink (even if it's soda) in my mug after returning from a late EMH.

And yes, I know the vending machines are available, but if I pay $13 each trip for a mug, I'm certainly not going to spend extra money at the soda machine!

Upvote 0

tmack8983

Exactly why it's a hot topic. The mug you buy is good for free refills for the duration of the trip and at the resort at which you buy it.

Whoooooo cares, i dont understand why people make such a big deal about certain things that has nothing to do with them.Dont get me wrong i dont condone stealing, but if someone wants to bring an old mug to disney,so what, thats there business, if they get caught , thats on them, im pretty sure they know the consequences of there act.If it was such a big problem im pretty sure disney would have cracked down on it already.I think some people are just mad because there not gutsy enough to do it, thats the only reason why i can think that someone would have a problem with someone else bringing back an old mug,when it clearly has nothing to do with them.Who cares if a parent wants to take there kids out of school for a disney trip,thats there prerogative. If everybody minded there own business,and worried about there own families the world would be a better place.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom