What's Still On and What's Now Off

donsullivan

Premium Member
What if people decide "yes we can go" and then once they get there realize "this was not worth the hassle"?

Taking the attitude of "don't like it, don't go" is not going to generate much goodwill with the paying customers (whether they go or not).

Then they can go home and if they are that unhappy about how Disney chose to deal with this unprecedented situation (protecting guests and cast members), choose to spend their vacation dollars somewhere else in the future.

donsullivan

Premium Member
The best way to protect guests and Cast Members would be to not open at all.
Are you going to pay to support all of their families and the families of tens of thousands of others who have lost their jobs in Central Florida (and all around the country I understand) because of all of this? What you are failing to accept is that this is about way more than just opening the parks- it's also about finding a way to safely open the parks so both guests and cast are safe and restore an economy. Unless you've been under a rock, almost 60,000 Disney employees were furloughed 2 days ago and tens of thousands of others in the area lost their jobs before that. There will be controls and compliance will be mandatory by everyone. Just flippantly saying they should keep them closed is naive at best but mostly selfish. If you do not like the rules don't go, but saying tens of thousands of people should still be unemployed because you do not want follow safety rules if astonishingly selfish.,

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ve a feeling the mouse will have had a bit of a growth spurt if this goes ahead.
Well necessity does tend to “invent”

But Disney is not some type of third world authoritarian military junta as Don Seems to think😳...

They don’t crack down and bust arses with their rules...I’m just not getting the idea that they ever did? It’s bad for business for one...and business is always priority 1

Whatever the new rules are...people will either hate ...or they’ll be a hoax. Just my opinion. The beast cannot be controlled because it never has been.

The other problem - and ill harp - is every single thing they’ve ever built (everyone but primarily in Florida) is meant for mass consumption at high volume. It’s the first priority.

There’s no money to be made in a 10,000 daily cap on attendance and people virtual queued for 1/3 the ridership at Peter pans flight....or 10 foot buffers at pecos bills.

Let’s see it

donsullivan

Premium Member
Many of those CM's who've lost their jobs and those in periphery companies that have lost their jobs are personal friends and family members since I actually live here in Central Florida. The impact on those CM's both for the livelihood and their safety is quite personal to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ravenclaw78

Personally, I don't think the scenarios outlined by WDW Fan (and corroborated by others) are going to work. And if they try to implement them, that won't last long. By nature, I'm a very cyncial person. I don't think we're even going to, as a nation, abide by the three phases laid out by the government. I think the flood gates are going to open, people are going to go back to what they know (and quickly), and the potential spread of COVID-19 won't be a priority for most people. People will keep getting it. People will keep dying from it. And it will start moving down the news cycle. One thing I've learned -- never underestimate the ability of Americans to return their lives "back to normal" and forget about tragic events. We do it better than anyone. I'm not saying any of this is good or bad. But it's just my sense of how things are going to go. I don't think there's going to be a "new normal". And if there is, it won't last long. With the election coming in November, I'd be surprised if we're still talking about it (COVID-19) by the end of the summer.

All that being said -- if they do try to implement some version of this plan -- I'll just wait. This doesn't sound like a Disney vacation to me.
SO, I take it you never experienced pre-9/11 security at any airport, theme park, sporting event, concert, or museum? If you had, you'd know that life did not just get "back to normal" with no societal changes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Personally, I don't think the scenarios outlined by WDW Fan (and corroborated by others) are going to work. And if they try to implement them, that won't last long. By nature, I'm a very cyncial person. I don't think we're even going to, as a nation, abide by the three phases laid out by the government. I think the flood gates are going to open, people are going to go back to what they know (and quickly), and the potential spread of COVID-19 won't be a priority for most people. People will keep getting it. People will keep dying from it. And it will start moving down the news cycle. One thing I've learned -- never underestimate the ability of Americans to return their lives "back to normal" and forget about tragic events. We do it better than anyone. I'm not saying any of this is good or bad. But it's just my sense of how things are going to go. I don't think there's going to be a "new normal". And if there is, it won't last long. With the election coming in November, I'd be surprised if we're still talking about it (COVID-19) by the end of the summer.

All that being said -- if they do try to implement some version of this plan -- I'll just wait. This doesn't sound like a Disney vacation to me.
That won’t be up to the guest. Don’t like it? Don’t go.

Or leave.

One of the main reasons Disney sells is that it lets people strut around for a week or more at a clip making their own rules feeling like they’re big 💩...I’m afraid we are discounting how big a deal that actually is.

I’m afraid your optimism is misplaced here.

GTBH has accurately Identified the problem with Americans. Remember that Disney trips are expensive...high prices veer toward the entitled...the entitled do what they want.

I do hope I’m wrong...but it’s not looking good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
SO, I take it you never experienced pre-9/11 security at any airport, theme park, sporting event, concert, or museum? If you had, you'd know that life did not just get "back to normal" with no societal changes.
Lol...

Airport screenings were nothing in comparison to this...

20 minutes of hassle two times in a week is so minor and didn’t really change life all that much.

Ravenclaw78

Lol...

Airport screenings were nothing in comparison to this...

20 minutes of hassle two times in a week is so minor and didn’t really change life all that much.
I didn't make a comparison between the two (or claim that temperature screening is any less about security theater than bag checks, for that matter). But if you'd asked Americans on September 1st, 2001 whether they'd put up with post-9/11 airport security screenings and carry-on restrictions, you'd have had a very hard time finding anyone who'd say yes.

MaryJaneP

Apparently there were prior quarantine episodes that lasted multiple years. Even World War II had a 4 year duration of the greatest generation making all sorts of choices that were not personally beneficial. Imagine years or even months as opposed to weeks of bad. Kinda makes the current complaints ring hollow.

lazyboy97o

There's likely a big difference between what management think they can achieve on paper and what may happen in reality, particularity in the midst of hurricane season.

That seems to be lost on many fans eager to satisfy their addiction.
The idea that a company which would rather reward me for my bad behavior is going to strictly enforce rules is very hard to believe. It’s not just a matter of enforcement but completely changing a culture where employees will even want to enforce rules and take that risk, reversing a culture that too often punishes employees for enforcing rules.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom