What's Still On and What's Now Off

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Question about the resort experience, especially heading into the summer months... Are the pools open? Socially distanced lap swimming only?

Because hanging at the pool is pretty much the whole point of a resort hotel in Florida in July.
Water parks are done for along time...for health and economic reasons.

Hotel pools are touchy. Wdw hotel amenities have been whittled down for decades...not sure how much they can close and hope to sell them?

ToTBellHop

It’s a rather low number testing negative and retesting positive. I expect it’s more an issue with testing. I’ve never heard of a disease where you develop antibodies and get that exact strain again and are contagious. There would need to be a significant mutation and any such mutation would cause a different disease- hopefully a less virulent one.

I went to grad school at Yale. Called a friend who is working on their convalescent plasma study (where those who have recovered and have adequate antibodies donate plasma, which is given to severe patients). With the caveat that what he said is anecdotal and premature, they are finding the the antibodies produced do indeed produce immunity—and help the newly ill.

Now, for how long? We will know more once enough months have passed that antibody titer falls. With each passing week where we don’t see “antibodies only remain for X weeks!” on CNN, that’s one more week you keep antibodies.

ToTBellHop

The hot tub rules have never been enforced since installation...can’t see that ever changing...so I agree.

Capacity is tough too...

You’re gonna tell people they can’t get into storm along bay? Or a DVC pool?

Better bring Kevlar 😉
Yes, I don’t envy the security guards. I heard a suggestion of color-coded wristbands during peak times and a limit on how long you can stay. “Ok, guests with Goofy green wristbands, it’s time for you to leave and go to Magic Kingdom to ride Dumbo because it’s the only ride that’s open!”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s a rather low number testing negative and retesting positive. I expect it’s more an issue with testing. I’ve never heard of a disease where you develop antibodies and get that exact strain again and are contagious. There would need to be a significant mutation and any such mutation would cause a different disease- hopefully a less virulent one.

I went to grad school at Yale. Called a friend who is working on their convalescent plasma study (where those who have recovered and have adequate antibodies donate plasma, which is given to severe patients). With the caveat that what he said is anecdotal and premature, they are finding the the antibodies produced do indeed produce immunity—and help the newly ill.

Now, for how long? We will know more once enough months have passed that antibody titer falls. With each passing week where we don’t see “antibodies only remain for X weeks!” on CNN, that’s one more week you keep antibodies.
I assume those “retesting” positive may have had faulty tests in the first place? Or a faulty second one? False positives or false negative?

Either way...it’s another “wrinkle” to smooth out of this pond

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I assume those “retesting” positive may have had faulty tests in the first place? Or a faulty second one? False positives or false negative?

Either way...it’s another “wrinkle” to smooth out of this pond
It's the test they're using -- and what they're testing for. There's viral RNA in the patients, but it isn't necessarily contagious...

Again, just assume you're in the middle of a pool of infected people and take appropriate precautions within the boundaries set when WDW reopens.

TrojanUSC

Is Disney going to test all 50,000 cms before opening?

What good does that do? Within a week a quarter of them could be infected.

Mentioned this elsewhere but we aren't looking at just how contagious this is for employees and what happens if, for example, 100 Space Mountain CMs come down sick. Who will run the ride? Does Disney need to send a push notification to everyone who rode Space Mountain to go get tested? How does that not make national news?

Last edited:

Dan Deesnee

What good does that do? Within a week a quarter of them could be infected.

Mentioned this elsewhere but we aren't looking at just how contagious this is for employees and what happens if, for example, 100 Space Mountain CMs come down sick. Who will run the ride? Does Disney need to send a push notification to everyone who rode Space Mountain to go get tested? How does that not make national news?

Because Disney World won't be the only major thing opened back up. Not every localized cluster of cases at every big crowded venue will make national news. I think the average Joe just wants things to go back to normal (if the protests and situation at the beaches today are any indication...).

TrojanUSC

Because Disney World won't be the only major thing opened back up. Not every localized cluster of cases at every big crowded venue will make national news. I think the average Joe just wants things to go back to normal (if the protests and situation at the beaches today are any indication...).

The protests are isolated to a few hundred noisy people. Nearly all polling shows that the vast majority (by a 2-to-1 margin) of the public supports keeping things closed until relative safety can be assured.

Disney is not "every big crowded venue," they are entirely reliant on people spending thousands of dollars to visit them in order to have a "magical time." They are also far more brand conscious than your average concert venue or movie theater. News stories (along with social media and everything else) that Disney is suffering an outbreak or x number of people died after visiting WDW would be devastating and would be far worse than staying closed another month or two.

Dan Deesnee

The protests are isolated to a few hundred noisy people. Nearly all polling shows that the vast majority (by a 2-to-1 margin) of the public supports keeping things closed until relative safety can be assured.

Disney is not "every big crowded venue," they are entirely reliant on people spending thousands of dollars to visit them in order to have a "magical time." They are also far more brand conscious than your average concert venue or movie theater. News stories (along with social media and everything else) that Disney is suffering an outbreak or x number of people died after visiting WDW would be devastating and would be far worse than staying closed another month or two.

The same stories would happen with sporting events (think teams and coaching staff), Las Vegas, Universal, Knoxberry, the list goes on. Disney is not the sole big crowd destination for all people in the US.

If Disney has stories popping up about Covid after opening it will have plenty of company.

And relative safety will never be able to be "asured". Polls can be just as anecdotal as a few noisy protesters.

As we learn more about the outbreak and virus over the next few weeks the calls to open things back up will get louder and more widespread if the current trend of encouraging news continues.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's the test they're using -- and what they're testing for. There's viral RNA in the patients, but it isn't necessarily contagious...

Again, just assume you're in the middle of a pool of infected people and take appropriate precautions within the boundaries set when WDW reopens.
You’re suggesting “be careful not to touch anything” in a Disney park?

I always assumed you had actually been in a park before?....hmmmm🤔

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom