What's Still On and What's Now Off

flynnibus

Premium Member

Just a note this is the same analyst who previously bet against Apple and Netflix, so take it with a grain of salt.

Ok, imagine it's 2016.... and Disney reports a 50% drop and revenue.. and announces a forecast that shows it will take at least 2 quarters to recover. What do you think the analysts would say about the company?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
It wasn't debunked. Stupid stories people made up by misapplying information were debunked.

The real story was (for people who actually follow the sources and details) was the county working on contingency plans on what to do with the backlog of how the deceased could be processed due to the choke points in the system. Temporary interinment was part of the model.. and different locations were being evaluated... including city parks.

But sensationalism reports that as "NYC is burying the dead in city parks!" -- and then the all the morons go around and repeat it and attack each other over it. When the entire genesis was improper reporting to start with.

#DetailsMatter

you're correct and I wasn't saying all of that was false... I'm just saying there has been a lot of reporting (and I use that term very loosely) that is way overblown and sometimes not even factual. Why I don't know... other than fear sells, gets clicks, ad revenue, and higher ratings I guess

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Ok, imagine it's 2016.... and Disney reports a 50% drop and revenue.. and announces a forecast that shows it will take at least 2 quarters to recover. What do you think the analysts would say about the company?
But it wouldn't have anything to do at all with the firm he works wanting to artificially drive the price of the stock down further as to possibly position it into a position in which it is advantageous for his firm to buy or sell large quantities of Disney shares.

Because that type of manipulation never ever happens.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But it wouldn't have anything to do at all with the firm he works wanting to artificially drive the price of the stock down further as to possibly position it into a position in which it is advantageous for his firm to buy or sell large quantities of Disney shares.

You didn't answer the question. Ignore some analyst you think is corrupt. What would analysts do if Disney reported numbers like that?

monothingie

Premium Member
You didn't answer the question. Ignore some analyst you think is corrupt. What would analysts do if Disney reported numbers like that?
If Disney were a train wreck of a company with dismal finances and massive institutional problems, then your hypothetical analogy works. But it isn't. Bob I did a very good job hardening Disney during his tenure. The financial world will be burning for the next couple of quarters. I'd be more interested in which companies have a solid foundation for future growth and profitability. While Disney has a large debt load, they do have the ability to grow regardless of economic and societal headwinds caused by this virus. Long term they are a bargain right now. Analysts driving the price down see this as an opportunity to take advantage of this and make it even more of a bargain.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If Disney were a train wreck of a company with dismal finances and massive institutional problems, then your analogy works. But it isn't.

You still didn't answer the question.

I don't care if you think if the company's fundamentals are sound. What would you expect analysts and the market react to a company that drops revenue by 50% and forecasts down revenues for the future?

You can keep dodging the question.. but you know the answer. The market would crush them. The market crushes companies because of their forecasts because the market is not based on the strength of a company, it's based on the future potential of the value of the share.

The company is facing earnings calls that they will have to face the reality of the two of their major pillars are effectively ZERO revenue now. There is no way to hide from that reality. And no amount of 'boom, things are back to normal' replace that opportunity window.

I don't think you understand what the analyst was even saying with his rating.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Just a note this is the same analyst who previously bet against Apple and Netflix, so take it with a grain of salt.

That Wells Fargo analyst better worry about the big drop in Wells Fargo stock before Apple buys it.

monothingie

Premium Member
I don't care if you think if the company's fundamentals are sound. What would you expect analysts and the market react to a company that drops revenue by 50% and forecasts down revenues for the future?

Your hypothetical situation is worthless. The same thing happens to companies that are doing phenomenal business. Remember how Apple would be savaged by analysts because their record guidance wasn't sufficient? No matter what a company does there are going to be analysts that react negatively to it. It's mainly the reason why there is so much volatility in the markets and there is the unrealistic and unsustainable damage caused by the the constant need to top quarterly earning reports.

Surferboy567

Not saying this is reliable...but has this been discussed? Permits for installation of the prism in the fountain.

Mickey Views just posted it (they look too real) to be fake.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Your hypothetical situation is worthless. The same thing happens to companies that are doing phenomenal business.

Again with the deflection... it doesn't matter what can 'also happen' -- The question is simple. What do you think the analysts would say? You really can't stand facing a single point can you?

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
They will be cancelled, no doubt. My trip in September isn't looking so hot either.
Oh, I know. 😌
Actually, I just checked MDE, our FP's for May 2 also gone. Resort reservation still on. From May 3 on, everything's still there.

We know this trip won't happen, but want Disney to cancel, just to see if we're offered some kind of incentive/discount.

Lilofan

You still didn't answer the question.

You can keep dodging the question.. but you know the answer. The market would crush them. The market crushes companies because of their forecasts because the market is not based on the strength of a company, it's based on the future potential of the value of the share.

The company is facing earnings calls that they will have to face the reality of the two of their major pillars are effectively ZERO revenue now. There is no way to hide from that reality. And no amount of 'boom, things are back to normal' replace that opportunity window.

I don't think you understand what the analyst was even saying with his rating.
It's a scary thought to think Disney revenues to drop by 50%. Not much for Wall Street analysts on the conference to recommend a BUY in the Disney stock. If New CEO Chapek on the conference call uses words like " restructuring, consolidation and synergy" code words - layoffs.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Oh, I know. 😌
Actually, I just checked MDE, our FP's for May 2 also gone. Resort reservation still on. From May 3 on, everything's still there.

We know this trip won't happen, but want Disney to cancel, just to see if we're offered some kind of incentive/discount.

It looks like they're doing it on a week-by-week basis. So everything for 5/3 - 5/9 would be cancelled towards the end of the week/beginning of next week.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Quoth the Cramer, "nevermore!"

rowrbazzle

fair point

TBT's print edition is now only 2 days a week..
a lot of seniors like my dad have not been aware as most people are

Yeah, it's a well-respected paper and has won multiple Pulitzer Prizes in recent years. I'm not even from Florida, but I'm familiar with some of their work. I remember when they were the St. Pete Times!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom