What's Still On and What's Now Off

Jayhawker

Has Disney confirmed that they will extend annual passes by the amount of days the parks are closed? I know they initially said they would do so. Just making sure this has not changed.

I am not trying to be at the parks right when they re-open or anything. I will be monitoring the situation (like we all will be), and will follow the CDC and local health authority guidance when making the decision to visit the parks once they do open.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If:

-Cases drop to manageable levels such that the CDC can contact trace
-Testing for antibody testing and antigen testing are widespread and antibody negative individuals are tested on a regular basis

Then yes, I do. The fact that the peak is happening sooner is going to be very helpful in increasing the testing capacity. I do think that this country will be in that situation by the 4th.

I don’t see the entire amusement park industry throwing in the towel on the entire summer.
I’d hope you’re right. I really do.

The_Jobu

Reading elsewhere (not the site that shall not be named) that food and beverage price increases are still on...
According to Disney Food Blog, some drinks have increased by as much as $2.00.

im getting a sinking feeling that Disney is going to try and use all this as an excuse to raise prices and cut on experience even more than normal...

Jayhawker

This.
im getting a sinking feeling that Disney is going to try and use all this as an excuse to raise prices and cut on experience even more than normal...
I do not believe it will be an excuse. I believe they are going to have to raise prices and make cuts to simply survive and remain profitable once they open back up. They will be wanting to recoup some profits from the long closure as well.

I hope this is not true.

The Pho

Has Disney confirmed that they will extend annual passes by the amount of days the parks are closed? I know they initially said they would do so. Just making sure this has not changed.

I am not trying to be at the parks right when they re-open or anything. I will be monitoring the situation (like we all will be), and will follow the CDC and local health authority guidance when making the decision to visit the parks once they do open.
Yes Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, and Six Flags have all confirmed this about their annual passes.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Details on Annual Pass extensions and refunds
Walt Disney World to offer annual pass partial refunds and postpone payments on the monthly payment plan

BoarderPhreak

According to Disney Food Blog, some drinks have increased by as much as $2.00.
How about the burger that went up $6, from $13 to $19? Or the drink that went up $3 from $14 to $17? Same products, new and improved price!

Or all the things disappearing off of menus, like Ropa Vieja at Tortuga Tavern?

Even if WDW reopened tomorrow, going back any time soon is becoming less and less likely.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
How about the burger that went up $6, from $13 to $19? Or the drink that went up $3 from $14 to $17? Same products, new and improved price!

Or all the things disappearing off of menus, like Ropa Vieja at Tortuga Tavern?
I keep seeing this mentioned. Are we talking about Ale and Compass?

That burger was $18 in November 2018

The_Jobu

This.

I do not believe it will be an excuse. I believe they are going to have to raise prices and make cuts to simply survive and remain profitable once they open back up. They will be wanting to recoup some profits from the long closure as well.

I hope this is not true.

I feel as though that would be a weak excuse to return to Disney as normal business plans. It’s like they’re going to lean harder on the addicts that pay no matter what rather than trying to encourage people to visit again.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
The OP has a checkered history. (Remember their claims of internal projections for Frozen 2 bombing out? Because they didn't care for the franchise.)

To say Disney has committed to anything at this point is silly. I'm sure they have plans in place for a June opening and a December opening. It all depends on the external conditions that Disney can't control. We've seen in the last two weeks a major change in how government experts have modeled the effects of this pandemic. Predictions of apocalyptic disaster that were common place two weeks ago have been walked backed considerably due to new data and new analysis. Who knows where we will be next week let alone next month.

We do know that Disney needs at least 3-4 weeks to bring the parks back up operating condition. Whatever Disney decides to do, if you see CM coming back to work beginning in May, expect an opening sooner rather than later. Disney needs to get these parks open asap, not for our sake, but for theirs.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don’t see why Disney would remain closed through August based on recent projections, it also does not fit with allowing resort bookings (and encouraging them) starting June 1st. The main wave for this is going to be over in this country by the end of May, and California before that. Unless something unexpected happens or we fail in surveillance I can’t see DLR not operating at full capacity by the 4th of July. WDW might have a quieter summer with reduced hours due to the loss of international guests but I can’t see WDW not being open by the 4th either. I’m sure they are planning your situation as a worst case situation but the data suggests it won’t be needed.
3l6rpt.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
What I do know is where we are right now. And what is in front of us to get to this happy place. You don't need a crystal ball to know it's not going to be this snap your fingers moment and all the things we need are here. We do have references and history to show how long things can take to get done in general. And how there are latencies in how things get done.

Truth is so many people still have zero clue on what is going on. They think this is a "we go back to work on Monday, and Wednesday everything is like it was before". Daily they confirm they don't have the comprehension to grasp what it means to make the kind of changes people are talking about... or what it means when the majority of the economy faces a 20%, 30% or greater drop in their revenues.

Look at us now... testing is still extremely limited. Why? Because even with a commonly understood methodology, it takes time to scale up production and lab resources. That is the reality almost across the board. Things take time to scale. And I guess so many people live in some TV land where the Doctor runs in with his eureka moment and everyone is saved by the end of the episode.

That's not reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Notice I don't give those kinds of strong estimates on opening? Yeah... because I don't have a crystal ball. Somehow it doesn't stop others... maybe you should be asking him? I don't need to confirm what the Moon is made of.. to confidently reject that it's made of cheese.

What I do know is where we are right now. And what is in front of us to get to this happy place. You don't need a crystal ball to know it's not going to be this snap your fingers moment and all the things we need are here. We do have references and history to show how long things can take to get done in general. And how there are latencies in how things get done.

Truth is so many people still have zero clue on what is going on. They think this is a "we go back to work on Monday, and Wednesday everything is like it was before". Daily they confirm they don't have the comprehension to grasp what it means to make the kind of changes people are talking about... or what it means when the majority of the economy faces a 20%, 30% or greater drop in their revenues.

Look at us now... testing is still extremely limited. Why? Because even with a commonly understood methodology, it takes time to scale up production and lab resources. That is the reality almost across the board. Things take time to scale. And I guess so many people live in some TV land where the Doctor runs in with his eureka moment and everyone is saved by the end of the episode.

That's not reality.

Wait... you're telling me that 'House' doesn't actually happen all across the country?!?!?! :hilarious: (I have seen some funny meme's regarding Dr. House and this COVID-19 pandemic, at least :) )

But, back to more serious matters - You're pretty much spot on. It will not be a "reopen on Monday, things are back to normal by Friday" kind of thing. It will take weeks and months for things to feel "normal", depending on the business/situation/circumstances, and that won't even begin to happen for a while.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom