What's Still On and What's Now Off

Giss Neric

So all projects more than halfway through will finish and the rest is defunded so they could put all those funds for the rides opening this year and next year and for the 50th Anniversary cause they are definitely not gonna defund/cut back on a 50th anniversary. Maybe 35th, 40th or 60th but NOT 50th.

skiir97

Tomorrowland's theme is... Well, no matter what you consider Tomorrowland's theme, the Tron overlay would be a far sight more fitting than the current speedway.

Electric redo would be better, but even then it would likely be best to include sci-fi elements to attempt avoiding being a "When you were a kid they didn't even have car phones or laserdiscs" moment.

Wait... Just had a realization. Elon Musk likes throwing money around. Has a TESLA sponsorship for the speedway ever been looked into?

I recall reading rumours a long time ago on Screamscape stating that Disney did approach Tesla but the two companies could never reach an agreement. Not sure how true this rumour was though.

skiir97

So all projects more than halfway through will finish and the rest is defunded so they could put all those funds for the rides opening this year and next year and for the 50th Anniversary cause they are definitely not gonna defund/cut back on a 50th anniversary. Maybe 35th, 40th or 60th but NOT 50th.

They are definitely going to cut back on the 50th.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
When is your trip?

We go every year. We’ll go again.
We were there for Katrina, and more recently Irma and Dorian. THIS is different.

Best case scenario, this turns out to be a modern day polio ... totally eradicated by a safe, effective, and potent vaccine; and life can slowly return to normal. Sadly, I don’t see that happening by this summer.

I’d love to be wrong.
Our upcoming trip is/was for early May. We have another one planned for September, so fingers crossed.

We're at WDW during Irma, too. It's quite possible we crossed paths! :)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m not saying all of these projects have banks checking for collateral, but I would argue that Star Wars has more involved than the typical hotel. Comparing POP to Star Wars completion is not appropriate.
True. but just to be clear: I’m not equating Star Wars to POP.

I don’t think they have a clue how to pull of the Star Wars location. I don’t think they will like the bills at all...and it’s hard to argue that Star Wars demand is actually falling, not rising.

The concept may not even work at first...none of the “billions” of Star Wars fans showed up to bumrush the lands on either coast. But assuming that it does work for awhile - there’s no way to know if it will last?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
“The 50th” has been a red herring for years. They will “dress it up”...but not to the level many of the self announced prognosticators would have you believe.

The “celebration” model that worked in 97 and 2000 in Florida has largely been phased out by their price increases and focus on DVC and one shot travelers. It’s not the same demographics as it was.

People look to the Disneyland model now...which does work with a much more regional core to their clientele.

DVCakaCarlF

True. but just to be clear: I’m not equating Star Wars to POP.

I don’t think they have a clue how to pull of the Star Wars location. I don’t think they will like the bills at all...and it’s hard to argue that Star Wars demand is actually falling, not rising.

The concept may not even work at first...none of the “billions” of Star Wars fans showed up to bumrush the lands on either coast. But assuming that it does work for awhile - there’s no way to know if it will last?
Hotel aside, this recession was inevitable. The virus was just the catalyst to make it swing into full gear. Hindsight will be 20/20, but there was enough euphoria in the market to get high off of, and no wise decisions are ever made in that mind set. There’s enough data to support it, too - bond yields, M&A, etc.

I say all that to say, the Star Wars Land flop was an overall barometer of the consumers reaction. Same as the new cruise ships...are they still coming? (They are, but I’m making a point). The hotel will succeed because like every special ticket event, it’s exclusive, expensive, and offers something not available to the general public.

That being said, it will flop if not executed properly. Even then, it will become open to the public so anyone can go and have dinner or drinks, while watching a “Spirit of the Force” dinner show...being a little sarcastic now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hotel aside, this recession was inevitable. The virus was just the catalyst to make it swing into full gear. Hindsight will be 20/20, but there was enough euphoria in the market to get high off of, and no wise decisions are ever made in that mind set. There’s enough data to support it, too - bond yields, M&A, etc.

I say all that to say, the Star Wars Land flop was an overall barometer of the consumers reaction. Same as the new cruise ships...are they still coming? (They are, but I’m making a point). The hotel will succeed because like every special ticket event, it’s exclusive, expensive, and offers something not available to the general public.

That being said, it will flop if not executed properly. Even then, it will become open to the public so anyone can go and have dinner or drinks, while watching a “Spirit of the Force” dinner show...being a little sarcastic now.
I basically agree with all this...

I don’t necessarily see a “flop” in the hotel. I just Don’t see it with enough longterm demand. And that’s not just because Disney has mostly failed at Star Wars (debatable...but at a minimum a 50/50 split on that...which is absolutely not where Star Wars should be)...it’s because they can’t charge enough to spend enough on staff and amenity to make it a huge hit. It’s a paradox in many ways.

I don’t see the lands as a “flop” either. They are just pretty non-descript that will move cattle (we hope) on both coasts for 10-20 years or so barring a huge shift in IP and/or land redesign.

But that wasn’t Disney’s goal...the “rabid” Star Wars fans who were NOT Disney fans and were supposed to add themselves into the fold never came and won’t.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Heard a rumor from one of those small blogs that ticket books would happen every now and then. Is that still possible or was all of that just BS? My guess: Probably...
Nah...

What are they gonna charge you $140 a day to use the new non-contact, RFID Mickey spinner for?

...I mean...half are doing it for the privilege of going
To a $49 breakfast...but what about the rest? 🤪

SilentWindODoom

And that’s not just because Disney has mostly failed at Star Wars (debatable...but at a minimum a 50/50 split on that...which is absolutely not where Star Wars should be)...

It's a tough situation because the split on Lucas's effect on Star Wars is 10/80, which is something a lot of the modern complainers have forgotten.

Then again, the Star Wars fans I spend time with/watch/hear are analogous to the Disney fans I come into contact, so perhaps the general public is cool with all 11 films (current editions of the OT).

Funnily enough, those Star Wars fans are all the ones I hear praising the land and enjoying it as much as they can afford.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's a tough situation because the split on Lucas's effect on Star Wars is 10/80, which is something a lot of the modern complainers have forgotten.

Then again, the Star Wars fans I spend time with/watch/hear are analogous to the Disney fans I come into contact, so perhaps the general public is cool with all 11 films (current editions of the OT).

Funnily enough, those Star Wars fans are all the ones I hear praising the land and enjoying it as much as they can afford.
The trends of the films and the product sales are not good...which indicates a drop in mass consumption.

Most people that spend a lot to go to Anaheim and Orlando like what they see...or they wouldn’t go in the first place.

I like the land fine (Disneyland in this case...my home base is Orlando)...and it is just that: fine.

But again - that isn’t the goal. I am a lifelong, high spending Star Wars fan whose desire for the product continually erodes, however. And it’s not because I’m “mature”....hell no to that!!🤪

By the way...explain that 10/80 (my math “not so good”) measurement on Lucas? I’m curious...

And my last comment about the “franchise”...pm me.

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

The one piece of concept art that exists is of a Monopoly-themed courtyard.

popy-med.jpg.cf.jpg

The hotel says "Flat Foot Floogie", which was a song from the 30's, when Monopoly was first released by Parker Bros. There was also a Coke Bottle pool according to the plan.

2gG3cH86DyE98cI0ZT9svmTZMgREUaWhmNTQ_TQ_S-95Ss7tTWkmNqjB4gfwJ1daiy1JzvfhWneYK1XieEP0fpIZLpjKqJSAfn89l5-Aoss1gZb-lkQ.cf.jpg

From the arrangement, I imagine the resort runs in one arching line from 00's to 90's, meaning the top part is the 40's with what could be a wartime shield emblem, and there's no doubt green Army men. But I have no idea what that is in between the two 1910's buildings and the 1900 building.

Yeah! It worked for Dinoland!
Don’t tease me with dance parties!!!

kurtk

Sorry if this was discussed.
I was surprised to see the permit for demolition on Stitch. Was this just in the process before the closing happened? It would be hard to believe they would spend money for something that isn't seen by the guests when they need to cut costs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom