What's Still On and What's Now Off

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They won’t want more crowds. It is looking increasingly likely capacity will be limited, although no decision been made yet.
I’m sure they’re spitballing...but it makes sense, doesn’t it?
Well it will be completed next year after a vaccine is available meaning I doubt they will limit capacity next year.
I’m not sure this wouldn’t be permanent? At least until the perception fades. It’s just common sense mixed up in a nice word salad with a vinaigrette...but if you need an example: the bag checks are 100% silly. They prevent nothing and have really done nothing - but they value the perception and pay to staff it 19 years after the impetus for them.

It’s Disney...perception is a big part of their reality.
There’s a multitude of proposals. What ends up being implemented depends on the perceived risk at whatever time things reopen (I won’t say get back to normal)
...which is exactly how this will be decided. Based on risk in the near and long term. What’s “normal” won’t be normal again - just a hunch.

TTA94

Those will probably have to be eliminated...no matter what.

Not only for the logjams around them...but what they do to the daily traffic flow.

Sad but understandable.

My bet would be FoF and HEA will make a comeback later on in 2021, that is assuming Covid19 gets under control by then.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That and large entertainment teams are typically the first "fixed" cost to be cut.
I thought of that too...

But what I meant was they are now going to regret their move toward project shows. I get it...it allows for overlays and upsells...it allows them to reduce the raw cost by lessening fireworks if they choose...but it creates a bottleneck/focal point that no longer works.

You want to know what could work?

Good old sorcery/fantasy in the sky? High loft with no requirement for a specific focal point. That could work...but it reverses course on “self containing” shows that drive sales into the parks.

...Oh well 🤪

LSLS

I’m sure they’re spitballing...but it makes sense, doesn’t it?

I’m not sure this wouldn’t be permanent? At least until the perception fades. It’s just common sense mixed up in a nice word salad with a vinaigrette...but if you need an example: the bag checks are 100% silly. They prevent nothing and have really done nothing - but they value the perception and pay to staff it 19 years after the impetus for them.

It’s Disney...perception is a big part of their reality.

...which is exactly how this will be decided. Based on risk in the near and long term. What’s “normal” won’t be normal again - just a hunch.

But does it matter? You say they want the perception of keeping people safe, I'm not sure they have to. Heck, go look at how many people are praying the travel ban is lifted so they dont miss their May trips, let alone trips next year. Or look at the crowds the day before closing. What we may find out is how bulletproof the parks really are.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But does it matter? You say they want the perception of keeping people safe, I'm not sure they have to. Heck, go look at how many people are praying the travel ban is lifted so they dont miss their May trips, let alone trips next year. Or look at the crowds the day before closing. What we may find out is how bulletproof the parks really are.
The reality is there’s still mass resistance to the real impact of this pandemic. The misinformation and slow response will be a huge sticking point with history:

We don’t have a body count yet. So we can’t effectively gauge what will have to be done yet.

This is “early”...I know people are bored...but that’s the truth. It’s very “real” around me...but we’ve still not seen the crush yet. This thing has been working silently worldwide for several months before it hit the fan. We just don’t know.

As far as those holding on to trips...it’s nice to have things to hold onto...I’m coming out of my vacation planning slumber as we speak and trying to figure out what I’m “potentially” gonna do for the next 2 years.

My shift to royal Caribbean isn’t looking like a “sustainable” plan these days 😳

But I can’t fault the hope...even if it’s a bit obtuse.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm 100% okay with the spine project being abandoned if it means we get a better project in the future. I don't care if it sits as an empty construction site indefinitely or cleaned up and reopened as is (although the latter is preferable) as long as means there's a brighter future for the area than what's been announced.
Don’t see that being a viable plan...but things are in continual motion. I think the “spine” project is relatively cheap - by design - and later it would just cost more. They don’t want that.

Haymarket2008

In thinking more about this, maybe the delays can be a good thing? A lot of the projects moving forward into this decade have been pretty divisive. Definitely a severe cutback in investment is not good in any scenario, but maybe better thought out projects will come out of this.

Josh Hendy

a severe cutback in investment is not good in any scenario, but maybe better thought out projects will come out of this.
Hope you're right. But look at the past history and consider the fact that Iger "sort of" quit but didn't quit ... and "sort of but not really" passed the torch to his protege, not to anyone remotely resembling fresh blood. Those facts make me think that even worse thought out projects will result.

LiterallyNobody

Throwing my two cents in. Where did the information about Star Wars Hotel being defunded come from? I have spoken with people working on the project and there were meetings yesterday and today about upcoming work. Sure, it will be slowed down, but I haven't heard defunded.

Josh Hendy

Where did the information about Star Wars Hotel being defunded come from? I have spoken with people working on the project and there were meetings yesterday and today about upcoming work. Sure, it will be slowed down, but I haven't heard defunded.
OP, for what it's worth. And the fact that construction halted last week and the hotel appears to be less than half completed.

Aside from that I think that some of us feel that this project is expendable because it's hard for us to imagine filling the hotel at $3000 (per head?) for what is basically a 1/2 day VIP theme park experience (one land with 2 rides) with dinner theater, playacting bellhops and 2 night sleepover privileges. If I have understood the concept correctly.

The nearest equivalents in terms of immersive hotel experiences AFAIK are Cinderella Castle sleepovers and Animal Kingdom Lodge savannah view rooms. One of them is only a single hotel room (or maybe 2 rooms) and the other is maybe $500 per night (?)

LiterallyNobody

OP, for what it's worth. And the fact that construction halted last week and the hotel appears to be less than half completed.

Aside from that I think that some of us feel that this project is expendable because it's hard for us to imagine filling the hotel at $3000 (per head?) for what is basically a 1/2 day VIP theme park experience (one land with 2 rides) with dinner theater, playacting bellhops and 2 night sleepover privileges. If I have understood the concept correctly.

The nearest equivalents in terms of immersive hotel experiences AFAIK are Cinderella Castle sleepovers and Animal Kingdom Lodge savannah view rooms. One of them is only a single hotel room (or maybe 2 rooms) and the other is maybe $500 per night (?)

Visible construction on the outside, yes. That was mostly "outside" contractors. There is plenty going on inside I can assure you.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’m sure I missed the answer but why would Epcot not open with the other parks?

I'm sure it's one of many ideas being thrown around Disney HQ, but there's nothing definite about that at all. It has gained traction because of hair-on-fire hysteria about Epcot "is just a construction zone!!!!"

Yeah, lots of construction, but, the only *ride* that this new wave closed down was Ellen's. All the other rides that have been there for the past decade are still there (some of them beefed up: Mission Space, Soarin', and FEA).

A lot of that construction has been the front gate infrastructure and new pathways, which is just about finished.

The rest of the construction is one half the hub. And what was there has been moved to new locations (except Club Cool).

And the other half of the hub will get the merch store and restaurant back in short order. And if anyone is worried about one less food POS in Epcot.... just look around. Also, Space 200 will open.

So... minus one ride and Club Cool. And Rat is about to open.

There's no reason why Epcot should be singled out for a delayed opening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom