What's Still On and What's Now Off

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Indeed, many grocery store are installing them to protect their cashiers.
We’ve had them here for about a month...they went up rather quickly in many businesses.
There is another solution.
A tablet that is WiFI capable or a tablet that is cellular able. The tablet should probably support Bluetooth as well. The cellular option for a tablet is much cheaper than a smartphone and they support APs like MyDisneyExperience.
I don’t use the WiFi...I’d recommend no one else does either...it’s battery drain city with spotty results

ZoneOfTheEnder

We’ve had them here for about a month...they went up rather quickly in many businesses.

I don’t use the WiFi...I’d recommend no one else does either...it’s battery drain city with spotty results
Back in the day when Disney Infinity was going strong I would sit in the garden behind the Japanese temple (EPCOT)and play the Disney Infinity AP and watch ToyBox TV episodes. I used an IPad that had WiFi and was Cellular plus a Morphie battery pack. 8 to 10 hours of entertainment. This setup worker also at MK but not MGM or AK and in some resorts and not others. The issue is WDW WiFi connection is spotty but with a cellular Tablet things worked fairly well.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
WDW's new 2020 tagline!

Meet and greet your favorites such as Edna Mode...

1588205646251.png

Marie!..

1588205693142.png

Chewie!...

1588206306900.png

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Sounds like Universal is implementing many of the things Disney has been contemplating. It also sounds like the numbers are holding firm - 50% capacity in Phase 1 opening.

I'm not sure people appreciate how high that really is.

According to TEA/AECOM, average attendance in 2018 was
MK: 57K
AK: 38K
EP: 34K
HS: 31K

Based on capacity numbers I've seen on these boards, the Epcot and HS numbers are less than 50% capacity already; AK and MK not terribly more than half capacity. So at 50% it will be roughly a normal day. The Universal attendance numbers are even lower to begin with.

jinx8402

I'm not sure people appreciate how high that really is.

According to TEA/AECOM, average attendance in 2018 was
MK: 57K
AK: 38K
EP: 34K
HS: 31K

Based on capacity numbers I've seen on these boards, the Epcot and HS numbers are less than 50% capacity already; AK and MK not terribly more than half capacity. So at 50% it will be roughly a normal day. The Universal attendance numbers are even lower to begin with.

So the question is, is park entrance capacity going to be based off of actual max capacity, or will they base it off their average attendance? Attractions (especially indoor/theater settings) can be limited to actual 50% of capacity, but if they don't actually reduce entrance capacity 1) an attraction with a typical 30 minute wait will turn into 1+ hours 2) the PR from what looks to be normal attendace/capacity will be bad.

Unbanshee

Sounds like Universal is implementing many of the things Disney has been contemplating. It also sounds like the numbers are holding firm - 50% capacity in Phase 1 opening.

This looks like old news.

State level task force says reopening of theme parks in phase 2

WDW Pro

Original Poster

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Disney and the other parks don't need to stick to the minimums. Rather, it wouldn't surprise to see Disney work to exceed the minimums, e.g. lower capacities, making guests wear masks, etc. Then Disney can say "look at us doing more than we were asked!" Alas, the benefits of being on the task force and pushing for reasonable but low hurdles to later exceed independently for "good will" with the public.

cjkeating

I am 99% sure 50% capacity is not going to be 50% of the capacity the MK and Epcot hold on New Year's Eve. You could argue that whilst the parks are within capacity on those days on paper they are actually beyond capacity based on the huge queues and crowding.

I think 50% of capacity will be quite a complex calculation of number of attractions in the broadest sense operating at 50% or the capacity deemed safe to maintain social distancing plus the impact virtual queues will have plus how many people (if any) they think can be in the park common areas in addition to those either in a virtual queue who are just walking around.

I'd therefore think we are likely looking at 50% of an average days attendance as a guide. Not 50% of the busiest day of the year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So the question is, is park entrance capacity going to be based off of actual max capacity, or will they base it off their average attendance? Attractions (especially indoor/theater settings) can be limited to actual 50% of capacity, but if they don't actually reduce entrance capacity 1) an attraction with a typical 30 minute wait will turn into 1+ hours 2) the PR from what looks to be normal attendace/capacity will be bad.
They won’t bother re-opening if it’s much less than “normal” sized crowds.

People are under the false hope that Disney will reopen and it won’t be crowded under some sense of “national pride”

The place is a gigantic money collector - not a charity.

I think “reopening” will be much like lighter season crowds and they will quickly abandon the pretense. The variable is the existence and prevalence of virus cases? Will it cooperate with the money train or will it not?

icc2515

I am 99% sure 50% capacity is not going to be 50% of the capacity the MK and Epcot hold on New Year's Eve. You could argue that whilst the parks are within capacity on those days on paper they are actually beyond capacity based on the huge queues and crowding.
I tend to thing that capacity is a fixed number probably determined by how quickly they can evacuate the park in an emergency. I would look at a video of the magic kingdom on New Years eve and think about half of that. Then you will think that they really need to go about 10% of that.

TrojanUSC

People are under the false hope that Disney will reopen and it won’t be crowded under some sense of “national pride”

I think “reopening” will be much like lighter season crowds and they will quickly abandon the pretense. The variable is the existence and prevalence of virus cases? Will it cooperate with the money train or will it not?

Exactly. And I can not see them moving forward without a reasonable degree of certainty that there won't be a substantial outbreak. Opening for a month or two, then having to close again and dealing with the PR hit is far worse than just staying closed two more months.

jinx8402

You might be right. I have absolutely no idea what the numbers would need to be, but would you rather keep the park closed completely and lose 10 million a day, or open up and lose 2-3 million a day. And I mean that in the actual money it is costing Disney (all expenses, salary etc) in both instances.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom