What's Still On and What's Now Off

Lil Copter Cap

I would also not be surprised with the recent news that Florida state officials asking the Florida Department of Health to withhold COVID-19 death numbers will also have Disney holding off as long as possible. It is highly likely that case and death reports are not accurate.

As much as I want to return to a fully operational resort with all attractions and entertainment and food offerings available, I also want people to be safe from harm. I also hope that the majority of plans remain “On” after all is said and done—specifically those that provide some TLC to the areas that need it most.

ItRhymes

I would also not be surprised with the recent news that Florida state officials asking the Florida Department of Health to withhold COVID-19 death numbers will also have Disney holding off as long as possible. It is highly likely that case and death reports are not accurate.

As much as I want to return to a fully operational resort with all attractions and entertainment and food offerings available, I also want people to be safe from harm. I also hope that the majority of plans remain “On” after all is said and done—specifically those that provide some TLC to the areas that need it most.

You say you want people to be safe from harm. Wouldn't that mean not driving anymore, and not eating the unhealthy snacks in the parks, etc? This idea of we need to keep every human being safe from Covid-19 but are perfectly fine with people being forced to drive to work everyday and risk their lives on the road just doesn't make sense to me.

I think it's obvious at this point that our hospitals are not going to get over run, that this disease clearly is much more dangerous to particular individuals with certain conditions and they can therefore take precautions, etc. I think the time to panic is over and we need to just get on with our daily lives (with some extra precautions that are reasonable).

Disney is not going to enforce social distancing everywhere in their parks, it isn't feasible or possible. They'll recommend it, and recommend masks, etc. to which precisely 73.4% of the guests will ignore it. The average person is likely only mildly worried about Covid if the activity levels in the recently opened up states are anything to go by.

TrojanUSC

You say you want people to be safe from harm. Wouldn't that mean not driving anymore, and not eating the unhealthy snacks in the parks, etc? This idea of we need to keep every human being safe from Covid-19 but are perfectly fine with people being forced to drive to work everyday and risk their lives on the road just doesn't make sense to me.

I think it's obvious at this point that our hospitals are not going to get over run, that this disease clearly is much more dangerous to particular individuals with certain conditions and they can therefore take precautions, etc. I think the time to panic is over and we need to just get on with our daily lives (with some extra precautions that are reasonable).

Disney is not going to enforce social distancing everywhere in their parks, it isn't feasible or possible. They'll recommend it, and recommend masks, etc. to which precisely 73.4% of the guests will ignore it. The average person is likely only mildly worried about Covid if the activity levels in the recently opened up states are anything to go by.

No, no, no. This is a viral infection that is highly transmissible. You getting into a car accident does not cause two additional accidents, which in turn causes four more accidents, which then causes eight, etc.

Lots of people are dying from this disease - including young people. Even more people are being hospitalized by it. However, just because it predominantly effects older people and those with conditions doesn't mean a viable solution is those people just stay home. Unless we are going to send them (which is over 100M+ Americans, by the way) onto an ice flow alone - they will still need to be functioning members of society or. The problem is, while you may be young, healthy and without any conditions, you may visit WDW, pick up an asymptomatic case of corona virus and, upon return home, unknowingly hand a death sentence to a loved one or two.

It is obvious that hospitals are not getting over run because we are social distancing so people can not get the virus in the numbers it would take to fill them up. However, if you put enough people together and there's enough community spread, all of the good we did over the last two months will be undone and hospitals WILL be over run. There's nothing inherently different about New York, Spain or Italy from other big metropolitan cities or from WDW, for that matter, as the density is even more extreme.

Disney will absolutely enforce some kind of social distancing in queues and cancel any outdoor large scale crowd events (parades, fireworks, etc). If they find that this can't be accomplished then they will wait until it is safe for them to operate in a manner which will not lead to a high number of deaths of their cast members, guests or innocent bystanders.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Perhaps trams will not be running to and from the Main Entrance for the guests. A number of times we just walked to our cars. Walking a number of miles in the parks throughout the day, what's another 10 min of walking to your car? It's better than waiting much longer for the tram with the parking trams holding much less people due to social distancing. That's if the trams are running at all..

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

Perhaps trams will not be running to and from the Main Entrance for the guests. A number of times we just walked to our cars. Walking a number of miles in the parks throughout the day, what's another 10 min of walking to your car? It's better than waiting much longer for the tram with the parking trams holding much less people due to social distancing. That's if the trams are running at all..

that makes me wonder the fate of premium parking, for the time being.

Alamista

Sorry for not knowing Florida rules, but when it comes to constructions and refurbishments, aren’t they able to restart before guests could visit the park?
I believe they are way less dangerous for people...

NoBreyner60

I’m very curious how they will handle transpiration. Being stuck in a bus with a bunch of other people does not sound fun. The Skyliner actually seems like it would be the best mode of transportation for social distancing.
The Skyliner may not be up and running depending on the order they open up. If Magic Kingdom opens then Hollywood Studios then opening the Skyliner won't make sense. I'd suspect that most of the resorts on the Skyliner line won't open right away. But, then again if they open Hollywood Studios they may open one or two that may be in walking distance.

JoeCamel

I’m very curious how they will handle transpiration. Being stuck in a bus with a bunch of other people does not sound fun. The Skyliner actually seems like it would be the best mode of transportation for social distancing.
Double decker buses and you only ride on top? ;)

Oh, but rain...

Peter Pan's Shadow

This

Yep. I have been saying this exact thing. And to add to that, even though Covid -19 is a little deadlier than the different flu viruses we get each year, we have a vaccine for them....half the people don't get it each year?? Point being that we will see very soon that our reaction to this particular virus was excessive (but appropriate at the time due to the unknowns). And I believe Disney knows this, but is contending with public perception and potential liability issues more than anything, since a lot of the public still thinks the sky is falling and/or looks to make a quick buck through lawsuits.

robhedin

No, no, no. This is a viral infection that is highly transmissible. You getting into a car accident does not cause two additional accidents, which in turn causes four more accidents, which then causes eight, etc.

Lots of people are dying from this disease - including young people. Even more people are being hospitalized by it. However, just because it predominantly effects older people and those with conditions doesn't mean a viable solution is those people just stay home. Unless we are going to send them (which is over 100M+ Americans, by the way) onto an ice flow alone - they will still need to be functioning members of society or. The problem is, while you may be young, healthy and without any conditions, you may visit WDW, pick up an asymptomatic case of corona virus and, upon return home, unknowingly hand a death sentence to a loved one or two.

It is obvious that hospitals are not getting over run because we are social distancing so people can not get the virus in the numbers it would take to fill them up. However, if you put enough people together and there's enough community spread, all of the good we did over the last two months will be undone and hospitals WILL be over run. There's nothing inherently different about New York, Spain or Italy from other big metropolitan cities or from WDW, for that matter, as the density is even more extreme.
The cornerstone of what you’re saying rests on deaths and hospitalizations.

As of May 1st, the current cumulative hospitalization rate for those affected by the virus, according to the CDC (here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html ) is at 0.04%; if we limit that to those 65 and over, that rate jumps to 0.13%.

As of May 1st, 92%+ of those reported dying from Coronavirus are age 55 or older. with over half being 75 or older. We don't have data to show that, of the 8% under 55, what percentage was immunocompromised or otherwise at risk. (see: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm )

The reality is that, at this point, we do not _know_ how serious this really is when considered per capita. We _do_ know it's highly communicable; we _do_ know that in certain population dense areas it _is_ serious enough to overwhelm the local healthcare system. We _do_ know that people have been and are dying from it and are being admitted to the hospital.

At the same time, many areas are seeing very low impacts- Arkansas, for example, has not implemented a stay at home order and they've seen very few deaths (72) and just over 3300 cases. Will those numbers go up as people start to travel again? If so by how much?

To get a good view on how things are going go, watch Georgia (specifically Atlanta) and Tennessee (specifically Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg) over the next two weeks or so. Since Georgia opened up restaurants a week ago (and people seem to be going) we should start to see if things are spreading again here in the next week or so. Pigeon Forge is a tourist area. Since it's now basically "open for business" we should start seeing how that impacts their numbers. If there is no massive spike that overwhelms things, I expect we'll see an acceleration to "get things back to normal".

Peter Pan's Shadow

The cornerstone of what you’re saying rests on deaths and hospitalizations.

As of May 1st, the current cumulative hospitalization rate for those affected by the virus, according to the CDC (here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html ) is at 0.04%; if we limit that to those 65 and over, that rate jumps to 0.13%.

As of May 1st, 92%+ of those reported dying from Coronavirus are age 55 or older. with over half being 75 or older. We don't have data to show that, of the 8% under 55, what percentage was immunocompromised or otherwise at risk. (see: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm )

The reality is that, at this point, we do not _know_ how serious this really is when considered per capita. We _do_ know it's highly communicable; we _do_ know that in certain population dense areas it _is_ serious enough to overwhelm the local healthcare system. We _do_ know that people have been and are dying from it and are being admitted to the hospital.

At the same time, many areas are seeing very low impacts- Arkansas, for example, has not implemented a stay at home order and they've seen very few deaths (72) and just over 3300 cases. Will those numbers go up as people start to travel again? If so by how much?

To get a good view on how things are going go, watch Georgia (specifically Atlanta) and Tennessee (specifically Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg) over the next two weeks or so. Since Georgia opened up restaurants a week ago (and people seem to be going) we should start to see if things are spreading again here in the next week or so. Pigeon Forge is a tourist area. Since it's now basically "open for business" we should start seeing how that impacts their numbers. If there is no massive spike that overwhelms things, I expect we'll see an acceleration to "get things back to normal".
Can't say what I do for work, but I get daily reports and video meetings about and from the CDC. This is the most intelligent take on what we are dealing with. Facts over fear is refreshing.

ImperfectPixie

I wouldn't bet on hospitals not getting over-run. I've been watching the virus spread, and first it went down the east coast...now it's moving steadily from the east to the west coast.

Zoom in so the US almost fills the screen and you'll see what I mean. Those states (like Nevada) who think they lucked out just haven't really been hit yet.

ImperfectPixie

Disney will absolutely enforce some kind of social distancing in queues and cancel any outdoor large scale crowd events (parades, fireworks, etc). If they find that this can't be accomplished then they will wait until it is safe for them to operate in a manner which will not lead to a high number of deaths of their cast members, guests or innocent bystanders.
My step-sister runs a non-ICU COVID floor at a hospital. In her words "it keeps getting worse and worse". Other areas of hospitals are empty because they're not equipped or have staff trained to handle COVID patients, but hospitals are absolutely being slammed by COVID patients still. Here in MA, we just dedicated a temporary hospital in a convention center a little over a week ago, and we've already flattened our curve (we're not seeing any reduction in numbers yet, though). The key is that hospitals need to be able to handle COVID at the same time as the usual car accidents, etc., and without temporary hospitals available, they simply aren't able to.

I really wish the officials would be honest and tell the public how long a pandemic typically lasts...because I've seen quite a few people - both here and on social media - talking as if even without a vaccine or therapeutics we'll be done with this by the fall, and that simply isn't the case.

The virus has worked it's way down the east coast, and now it's working it's way west across the country. I really hope those states who haven't been hit very hard are ready.

Peter Pan's Shadow

My step-sister runs a non-ICU COVID floor at a hospital. In her words "it keeps getting worse and worse". Other areas of hospitals are empty because they're not equipped or have staff trained to handle COVID patients, but hospitals are absolutely being slammed by COVID patients still. Here in MA, we just dedicated a temporary hospital in a convention center a little over a week ago, and we've already flattened our curve (we're not seeing any reduction in numbers yet, though). The key is that hospitals need to be able to handle COVID at the same time as the usual car accidents, etc., and without temporary hospitals available, they simply aren't able to.

I really wish the officials would be honest and tell the public how long a pandemic typically lasts...because I've seen quite a few people - both here and on social media - talking as if even without a vaccine or therapeutics we'll be done with this by the fall, and that simply isn't the case.

The virus has worked it's way down the east coast, and now it's working it's way west across the country. I really hope those states who haven't been hit very hard are ready.
Must be a local thing and I feel for your step sister. However my wife and I are executives at a top 5 hospital in the nation and have daily meetings and videos chats with heads of hospitals and the CDC regarding all things Covid-19. The situation you've described is polar opposite to 90% of the country. Where Dr's and nurses are getting laid off due to no work. There are specific at risk groups that, through science and data, have identified and everyone knows what they are. And we need to be smart how we go forward to preserve their safety, but it's time.

UNCgolf

I don't think Atlanta is going to be that helpful over the next two weeks because huge numbers of restaurants have chosen not to reopen for now. I live in Atlanta and almost everything around me is continuing with takeout only. Plenty of offices etc. are also still working remotely (like mine).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom