What's Still On and What's Now Off

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You might be right. I have absolutely no idea what the numbers would need to be, but would you rather keep the park closed completely and lose 10 million a day, or open up and lose 2-3 million a day. And I mean that in the actual money it is costing Disney (all expenses, salary etc) in both instances.
I think they’d rather be paid to exist...I have it on “good authority”...

Ain’t that right, @realBobChapek ??

Lilofan

You might be right. I have absolutely no idea what the numbers would need to be, but would you rather keep the park closed completely and lose 10 million a day, or open up and lose 2-3 million a day. And I mean that in the actual money it is costing Disney (all expenses, salary etc) in both instances.
If on an average day there are 120K guests in 4 theme parks, paying $100 per ticket that's $12 million dollars a day. This does not even include hotel rooms, water parks, food and beverage, merchandise and parking, salary of cast members. Disney is losing many millions of dollars per day.

the.dreamfinder

If on an average day there are 120K guests in 4 theme parks, paying $100 per ticket that's $12 million dollars a day. This does not even include hotel rooms, water parks, food and beverage, merchandise and parking, salary of cast members. Disney is losing many millions of dollars per day.
When you factor in multi day tickets, APs and maingates, that number is lower.

WDW is a hotel and timeshare business using theme parks as a lure.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The overhead costs are staggering...and most of the take away profit is made still off sweatshop merch...

I think your math is too simple here

the.dreamfinder

Apologize if this has been brought up in the other half dozen COVID-19 threads, but the challenges presented by “the dance”, where we go between reopening and social distancing to keep the curve flat, are likely holding the parks back more than just when to reopen. Imagine having the parks reopened for a couple weeks and somewhere else in the country there is major uptick in cases that forces us back into our homes. Perhaps not as bad as a major outbreak at the parks, but more devastating financially if it’s not planned for or anticipated.

Last edited:

jinx8402

I totally understand your points, but again if you are operating at a loss of $2 million a day by being open, is that not better than losing $10 million a day to stay closed? If on your quarterly reports you show a loss of 180 million, isn't that better than 900 million? These are just random numbers, not their actual costs because I don't know what those figures are. I get they want to run the business at profit, all do. But I also don't believe they want to bleed the business dry, if they can safely open up in a limited capacity.

Does that equilibrium come at 50%? 75%? I honestly don't know, but their bean counters do, and will make a decision if bleeding less money is worth opening or not. And like you said, most profits come from merchandise inside the parks. If you can 75% of that is that not put into the equation?

zengoth

Apologize if this has been brought up in the other half dozen COVID-19 threads, but the challenges presented by “the dance”, where we go between reopening and social distancing to keep the curve flat, are likely holding the parks back more than just when to reopen. Imagine having the parks reopened for a couple week and somewhere else in the country there is major uptick in cases that forces us back into our homes. Perhaps not as bad as a major outbreak at the parks, but more devastating financially if it’s not planned for or anticipated.
Perhaps they will learn to conform to a more liquid plan. Good health weeks, they will operate at 50% capacity, bad health weeks, they'll have to reel it in and bring parks down to 25% capacity, with staff following the same trajectory. Sure, it effects folks with reservations and those already staying on property, but it's like closing for a hurricane - "sorry, folks, these things can't be helped", enjoy free HBO on us and don't forget to tip your mousekeeping staff.

Imagineer45

About 7 or 8 years ago, a friend of mine who worked at Disney went with me to Epcot and mentioned how they needed roughly 10,000 visitors a day to the park to breakeven. I am not sure how each park differs, but I would guess DAK is slightly more due to the animals, MK is roughly the same, and DHS is slightly less due to less landscaping (which is very expensive). I also am not sure what portion of the costs are fixed versus variable.

TrojanUSC

Perhaps they will learn to conform to a more liquid plan. Good health weeks, they will operate at 50% capacity, bad health weeks, they'll have to reel it in and bring parks down to 25% capacity, with staff following the same trajectory. Sure, it effects folks with reservations and those already staying on property, but it's like closing for a hurricane - "sorry, folks, these things can't be helped", enjoy free HBO on us and don't forget to tip your mousekeeping staff.

Perhaps but I continue to believe they are going to want some security there won't be an outbreak at the resort, based on local and national numbers, and effective testing strategies, before they reopen. Staying closed two more months, with no CMs on salary, is far better than opening and having to close again or worse, encourage all guests who visited to get tested due to a # of CMs testing positive.

SilentWindODoom

Holy crap! I read a month's worth of thread in three days to finally catch up. That was super disorienting with all the deleted conversations and quotes to no longer existing posts, but I've made it to the end and learned absolutely nothing except that OP apparently isn't the completely insane Aliens Guy from the History Channel. I guess we'll wait and see?

Seriously? Ta Ta Forever
Are you really Bob Chapek?
The delay, and shuttering of planned rides is understandable but leaving EPCOT in disarray and not finishing the Star Wars Hotel is belong understanding as is closing Disney Springs to guests that just want to go out to eat.
Overall if there is limited activities and attendance controls in the Theme Parks without an attraction Hotel like the Star Wars hotel and access to Disney Springs this is further economic suicide. Great plan Bob.

@Sirwalterraleigh mentioned an earlier post being one of his favorites, but this one is a work of art. The complete ignoring of the previous conversation and the prevailing thinking about what is reasonable down the future, the possible belief that that is the real Bob Chapek, the cherry on top of the typo. It's... It's one of those American Idol auditions where you're not sure whether or not the person is a local radio host or actor trying to make a name for themselves.

Meet and greet your favorites such as Edna Mode...

View attachment 467265

Marie!..

View attachment 467266

GAH!!! That is horrifying!

Do they offer HBO at the parks? Never really thought about that but if it functions much like it did when I was young, I shudder at young kids turning it on while their parents are asleep.

JoeCamel

"Now available!" an exclusive parks experience.
For a limited time TWDC will ship a branded VR headset and a motion base chair to your home. Enjoy the parks from the safety of your own home! Extreme social distancing achieved!
Be sure to exit through the virtual gift shop and support our virtual cast members....

Last edited:

BrianLo

About 7 or 8 years ago, a friend of mine who worked at Disney went with me to Epcot and mentioned how they needed roughly 10,000 visitors a day to the park to breakeven.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it is more than that. HKDL's breakeven seems to occur around an annual attendance of 6 million.

Granted as many have pointed out, the real margins are on hotel room nights.

FigmentsFangirl

According to latest operations calanders it looks like 31 May will be the reopening date, which apparnetly also means, Spaceship Earth will also already be shutdown by then ? if we're still going by the planned closure for SSE to shut down for the overhaul ? Or has that been scrapped ?

TrojanUSC

According to latest operations calanders it looks like 31 May will be the reopening date, which apparnetly also means, Spaceship Earth will also already be shutdown by then ? if we're still going by the planned closure for SSE to shut down for the overhaul ? Or has that been scrapped ?

They've been incrementally pushing the date back. There is no date yet. Just placeholders.

Imagineer45

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it is more than that. HKDL's breakeven seems to occur around an annual attendance of 6 million.

Granted as many have pointed out, the real margins are on hotel room nights.

HKDL does sell its tickets for around 1/2 as much and WDW, especially Epcot, is known for its ancillary revenue...

The hotels do bring in a lot of money, but their breakeven costs can be computed separately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom