What's Still On and What's Now Off

ImperfectPixie

1). It's their fault of they aren't keeping up with the times or convenience.

2). It's more of a hassle, but they can still call the hotel desk through cheap phones to get all of the info they need. Including their room numbers and when their room will be available.

3). If they're not tech phobes, then it's DEFINITELY their own created problem.
I had to basically force my 53-year-old husband to upgrade from a flip-phone to a smart-phone last fall. He buys into way too many conspiracy theories for his own good.

ETA: Now that he's gotten used to it, he loves many of the features available. (But still swears he hates it.)

ppete1975

2). It's more of a hassle, but they can still call the hotel desk through cheap phones to get all of the info they need. Including their room numbers and when their room will be available.

1) my point is that there a lot of people that don't have smart phones and its not a money question.
2) Might want to read the OTHER POSTS, as that was the discussion. (see I can put things in caps too)

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
1) my point is that there a lot of people that don't have smart phones and its not a money question.
2) Might want to read the OTHER POSTS, as that was the discussion. (see I can put things in caps too)
You were replying to a post that said if people are in dire need of going to Disney World, they will go no matter what, which includes getting a smartphone. Which you then replied with reasons why they don't want a smartphone. (Money or not)

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainsOfDisney

But the phone part of your phone still works, correct? They also send you text notifications on your room status as well.

Yes. The only time I’ve gotten text messages from Disney was after I checked in at the front desk and my room wasn’t ready yet.

It seems like everyone’s actual experiences with the Disney technology varies wildly. Big surprise.

That was only 1 trip... now I can use the apps for wdw and dL of course. That was something unique with my old iPhone at the time.

WondersOfLife

Yes. The only time I’ve gotten text messages from Disney was after I checked in at the front desk and my room wasn’t ready yet.

It seems like everyone’s actual experiences with the Disney technology varies wildly. Big surprise.

That was only 1 trip... now I can use the apps for wdw and dL of course. That was something unique with my old iPhone at the time.
Gotcha. That makes sense. If anything, I'd expect them to drastically improve their app services if this becomes mandatory, and if its caused too much trouble for many in the past.

-unrelated
I only get hung on this topic when people start saying "They can't make certain people get a smartphone" when it's 2020. They only cripple themselves by not adjusting to something so small, and something that makes their lives easier.

**For the record, they can't make people get a smartphone. But you also don't have to GO to Disney parks, because I'm pretty sure they'll be fine without you.

flynnibus

Premium Member
my parents easily can afford a smart phone, they don't want one. They would never use facebook, or any of the apps. They use cheap cell phones because they just buy the minutes they need, this isn't about cost of a phone, its just the phone is there if they fall, are in an accident, or in emergency need to contact someone. They have no interest in anything a smart phone provides, it is an emergency device or convenience. For day to day communication they use their home phone. Btw they aren't tech phobes, they have super high speed internet for checking email and for watching stuff such as youtube.

And know what pulls people forward to adopt something? The "killer app" or something that brings people over the hump into adopting something.

Maybe Disney is that 'killer feature' that forces some people to do something they wouldn't have done on their own before..

Or maybe some people dig in, refuse to meet minimums, and don't go.

Disstevefan1

I can’t imagine my parents are the only people who have visited Disney world without a smartphone in the year 2020.

I’ve also visited Disneyland with an iPhone that couldn’t load the current app. Just because you “own a smartphone” doesn’t mean you can use the app.

A certified iPhone app from the App Store that doesn’t work? That’s impossible 😉

natatomic

Wow, that’s kind of rude. My husband and I have smart phones (we’re young 30-somethings, so of course we do), but we often toy with the idea of ditching them for the dumb phones just to help us limit our screen dependence, save some money, and set a better example for our children on appropriate screen time. So because we might choose to better our lives (in our opinion, at least - we don’t assume it’s better for everyone), we’re not allowed to go to Disney? Just because people CHOOSE a different lifestyle from the mainstream doesn’t mean they should be punished for not keeping up with it, especially for such an arbitrary reason. Oh you don’t spend hundreds of dollars a month on a smart phone plan and data? Well, now you can never take your kids to Disney, sucks to be you.

peter11435

I was speaking in broad terms about needing a smartphone to do everything, including paying for food.
Unfortunately the world changes, evolves, and adapts. Things like this are often the catalyst towards larger changes. There are reasons beyond just visiting WDW that smartphones may become a near required part of society. We’re at the point already where kindergartners have to have their own laptops and learn to teleconference.

WondersOfLife

Wow, that’s kind of rude. My husband and I have smart phones (we’re young 30-somethings, so of course we do), but we often toy with the idea of ditching them for the dumb phones just to help us limit our screen dependence, save some money, and set a better example for our children on appropriate screen time. So because we might choose to better our lives (in our opinion, at least - we don’t assume it’s better for everyone), we’re not allowed to go to Disney? Just because people CHOOSE a different lifestyle from the mainstream doesn’t mean they should be punished for not keeping up with it, especially for such an arbitrary reason. Oh you don’t spend hundreds of dollars a month on a smart phone plan and data? Well, now you can never take your kids to Disney, sucks to be you.
I basically said if they don't want to abide by the social distancing rules that Disney is thinking about putting in place, then that's on them. I also said that it is still possible to check in via a simple cell phone with no touch screen abilities. You just have to call. On top of that, again, you can call them and ask for text updates on when the room will be available, and what room it will be.

If you can't do that, which isn't that hard to do, then I really can't give you any pity points if you decide not to go to Disney as a result. They're not asking you for a urine sample to be mailed to their front office or anything unreasonable like that. They'd literally just be asking you to check in via a phone, whether you need to use the app or not.

Whether smartphones better or worsen your lives in GENERAL is totally another question.

VaderTron

One of the OTHER POSTS was mine. I included the laziness aspect. If you don't want to learn how to do something I can't feel sorry for that person. It's within their ability to use/learn. They are choosing not to. Why should someone feel obligated to cater to that type of mindset?

Last edited:

natatomic

I basically said if they don't want to abide by the social distancing rules that Disney is thinking about putting in place, then that's on them. I also said that it is still possible to check in via a simple cell phone with no touch screen abilities. You just have to call. On top of that, again, you can call them and ask for text updates on when the room will be available, and what room it will be.

If you can't do that, which isn't that hard to do, then I really can't give you any pity points if you decide not to go to Disney as a result. They're not asking you for a urine sample to be mailed to their front office or anything unreasonable like that. They'd literally just be asking you to check in via a phone, whether you need to use the app or not.

Whether smartphones better or worsen your lives in GENERAL is totally another question.

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying that if people chose not to have smartphones, “it’s their own fault” and Disney shouldn’t cater to/allow people who chose to use dumb phones. I apologize for getting defensive.

ppete1975

On of the OTHER POSTS was mine. I included the laziness aspect. If you don't want to learn how to do something I can't feel sorry for that person. It's within their ability to use/learn. They are choosing not to. Why should someone feel obligated to cater to that type of mindset?
when did smart phones become a mandatory item, I think you would be shocked how many people in the united states that don't have smart phones and it isn't because of money. I live on mine, id hate to be without it but I know tons of people all ages that intentionally don't have one, and I promise you its not money. That's where I took exception was the socio economic pov that was going around, it is a choice. If Disney actually does this I will gladly come on here and say I was wrong, but I don't see this happening due to the logistics.

ZoneOfTheEnder

Very strange. I have not been to the front desk for a check-in since 2015. One time out of more than a dozen we didn't get notification of our room number on the app. So, I called the hotel's front desk on my cell phone and they gave it to me after verifying my identity.
At the Beach Club one year we waited and waited over 6 hours in the DVC lounge area and the AP and Messaging didn’t contact us. At 8pm I called and was told our room was ready at 3pm. Now I had called every hour on the hour and no room. Very strange.
Every reservation at the Boardwalk the AP did not work just the text but upon arrival with no text nor AP notice I had to go to the front desk and found out our room was ready. Disney Tech not very reliable.

VaderTron

when did smart phones become a mandatory item, I think you would be shocked how many people in the united states that don't have smart phones and it isn't because of money. I live on mine, id hate to be without it but I know tons of people all ages that intentionally don't have one, and I promise you its not money. That's where I took exception was the socio economic pov that was going around, it is a choice. If Disney actually does this I will gladly come on here and say I was wrong, but I don't see this happening due to the logistics.
I'm not shocked. I know how lazy and stubborn people are. It took us two decades to get my dad to get one. Now he sees the benefits and wishes he had done so earlier.

WondersOfLife

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying that if people chose not to have smartphones, “it’s their own fault” and Disney shouldn’t cater to/allow people who chose to use dumb phones. I apologize for getting defensive.
I guess I should have clarified phones in general, not just smartphones.

VaderTron

At the Beach Club one year we waited and waited over 6 hours in the DVC lounge area and the AP and Messaging didn’t contact us. At 8pm I called and was told our room was ready at 3pm. Now I had called every hour on the hour and no room. Very strange.
Every reservation at the Boardwalk the AP did not work just the text but upon arrival with no text nor AP notice I had to go to the front desk and found out our room was ready. Disney Tech not very reliable.
Even in those cases, you didn't have to go to the front desk. All you had to do was call. If they messed up badly, Disney would have compensated with some small freebie. You just have to take control of the situation rather than wait and hope. They have tens of thousands of daily check-ins. They won't know about your issue until you call.

TrainsOfDisney

Even in those cases, you didn't have to go to the front desk. All you had to do was call. If they messed up badly, Disney would have compensated with some small freebie. You just have to take control of the situation rather than wait and hope. They have tens of thousands of daily check-ins. They won't know about your issue until you call.

You might want to actually read the posts your replying to... the poster said they called every hour.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom