What's Primeval Whirl like?

beast

Don't bother

Waste of time. The money and the land that it occupies could
have been used for something much better.

ToTBellHop

One of the problems this park has is a tremendous lack of attractions--what it HAS is great, but with the exception of Dino-Rama, they are pretty much all E-Rides. The problem with this is they are not cheap. While we all love E-Rides, the fact of the matter is that C- and D- ticket rides (filler rides, as I call them), make a theme park whole. I see Dino-Rama as serving such a purpose--nothing life-changing, but it does extend your stay at Animal Kingdom to make it feel like you have done more. This is why I would have prefered the all-but-extinct Beastly Kingdom to Forbidden Mountain, as it would have included a major e-ride and several filler attractions, which is what this park needs--not going to complain about possibly getting a 200 foot tall mountain, but one ride will not save this park--hopefully, they will add some smaller attractions, too--for one, I wish they would spend a few million bucks to do the boat ride correctly and reopen it...perhaps adding track to go back into the waterway b/t Dinoland and Asia, docking near the proposed Forbidden Mountain site--beyond that, this park is in need of a family friendly dark ride, perhaps in Camp Minnie-Mickey...small rides in addition to the next E-Ticket would make people like this park a lot more...just my two cents.

Originally posted by Michael72688
Tell me, does every single Disney ride have to be inside?
Nope, Disney does have classic and/or fun outdoor rides, including a roller coaster:
-Kilamanjaro Safaris
-Thunder Mountain
-Jungle Cruise
-Kali River Rapids

However, Primeval Whirl is the only roller coaster on WDW property that looks like, well, a carny roller coaster, when you look at it. It feels like the theme was concocted as a way to quickly put up cheap, only moderately themed rides, and then say the whole area is meant to look cheap because - hey, that's the theme!

[obnoxious sarcasm on]
I've got a great idea! Why doesn't Disney build a new park, and call it "SixFlagsLand." They can put in a bunch of cheap rides and big roller coasters, and then say "hey, that's the theme! Didn't we pull it off well? It looks JUST like a Six Flags!"

Or they can build cheap hotels, and call them the "Motel 6 Resorts." Themed to look JUST like a Motel 6!

How about theming the swimming pools to look JUST like local municipal swimming pools? What a theme THAT would be!
[obnoxious sarcasm off]

If they're going to just put in unthemed rides, and that's the direction they're taking, fine. But a theme of "cheap carny rides" for some cheap carny rides is pretty lame...

I do think, however, the entire mini-land was built as a "quick fix" for AK until they can do something more appropriate.

ToTBellHop

As I have said before, the Magic Kingdom also has several attractions with a minimal amount of theming that people don't complain about. At least Dino-Rama tells a story--Astro Orbiter, Aladdin, Dumbo, Barnstormer do very little for me--sometimes it's good to just have fun on an attraction, no? And people do seem to think that, despite the theming, this is a fun ride...realize that disney could have gone cheaper on this mini-land...I think we should be happy for what we got...I enjoy Dino-Rama for the music, if nothing else...

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by Michael72688
Tell me, does every single Disney ride have to be inside?

No not at all if done correctly...
(Walt Disney Railroad)
(Big Thunder Mountain)
(Riverboat)
(TTA)
(Jungle Cruise)
(Kilamanjaro Safari)
(Kali River Rapids)
(Backlot Tour)
(Splash Mountain)

See, these are good attractions...and they're not INSIDE a building (ok, you can argue about Splash...and BTTM because they are somewhat inside) Disney CAN make good outdoor attractions...but you really get immersed into the story when you can't see or hear any of the outside commotion.

Originally posted by DogsRule!
As I have said before, the Magic Kingdom also has several attractions with a minimal amount of theming that people don't complain about. At least Dino-Rama tells a story--Astro Orbiter, Aladdin, Dumbo, Barnstormer do very little for me--sometimes it's good to just have fun on an attraction, no? And people do seem to think that, despite the theming, this is a fun ride...realize that disney could have gone cheaper on this mini-land...I think we should be happy for what we got...I enjoy Dino-Rama for the music, if nothing else...

Astro Orbiter looks cool, and fits in with the surrounding area.
Dumbo fits in with Fantasyland. (Heck, it IS Fantasyland)
I agree with you somewhat on Aladdin (although at least the mini-land around it looks cool).
I agree with you on the Barnstormer (though at least the queue and all fits in with the land).

That being said, I feel the ENTIRE DINO-RAMA AREA theme is terrible, and not really a theme at all. A theme of "cheap carny atmosphere" just comes across as a cheap carny.

I agree with you on the music, though. It's nice, especially when the kids are in the nearby dino play area.

WDWspider

As I have said before, the Magic Kingdom also has several attractions with a minimal amount of theming that people don't complain about.

This should tell you some things.

ToTBellHop

Whether or not you like Dino-Rama, I think it does fit in with Dinoland, U.S.A., which is basically a 1950s truck stop anyway...Chester and Hesters just wanted to expand from their store to give the Dino Institute more competition...

Michael72688

I agree, why does everyone have to look at the theming, I think you should just have fun once and a while and not pay attention to the little things!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom