What's Primeval Whirl like?

wdwjmp239

Originally posted by rocketman23
The upper turns on the ride are too heavily braked to be fun. The two major drops on the ride are pretty fun, but nothing special. The best part is the spin turns, kind of like the Tilt-A-Whirl on coaster track. This makes or breaks the ride, if you spin fast, it's fun, but if you get a slow spin, the ride's no good. It's worth a try if you have nothing else to do and can get in as part of your ticket, but otherwise don't bother.

Unfortunately... I get ill real quick on the Tilt-A-Whirl :(

WDWspider

Originally posted by DMC-12
Well,

Even the theming of this ride is poor, and very out of place (substandard) at a Disney park, IMHO. :) Like someone said above...it is very "state fair" and carny like. If you like the Tilt-a-whirl...then you will love Primeval Whirl....its really not worth a wait in line though :)

I actually like Tilt-a-whirls better. :lol:

I will not be going back to Dino-rama as it is now. :hurl:

What's with the totally out of place "themed" music on Triceratops spin. (I know it's roadside americana, but it ruins Dinoland theme for me)

General Grizz

Originally posted by dreamer
What's primeval whirl like?
Fast...and pretty unattractive.

Is it worth hopping over to AK to see it if we weren't planning on going there for anything else this trip?
Not unless you're a fast-ride super-fan.

Does it have long lines? Fast pass?
Yes. Do not wait in line. Get a Fastpass if you want to ride it!

Is it more like an E attraction or a D or C?
More like C...

Nansafan

We love it. Start laughing the minute it starts until we get off. My son does not handle spinning rides but he can to this one. We FastPass it because we tend to travel at the busy times (summer, Christmas).

njchris65

When I went last year, I expected not to like it. Mainly because of people's reviews on here. Well.. I had fun! The theming was fine.. and in check with that part of the park.

The line wasn't long (that was June), and I thought it was worth going on.

I don't think ANY park is worth going to for JUST ONE ride. There are so many cool things in AK (it's one of my favorites, and I'm a big coaster freak - so that says a lot). If I went into a park for just one ride.. there would be no way I could pass up all the other great rides/attractions!

Hey... wasn't this thread from back in Sept 2002? :)

WDWspider

Originally posted by njchris65
When I went last year, I expected not to like it. Mainly because of people's reviews on here. Well.. I had fun! The theming was fine.. and in check with that part of the park.

The line wasn't long (that was June), and I thought it was worth going on.

I don't think ANY park is worth going to for JUST ONE ride. There are so many cool things in AK (it's one of my favorites, and I'm a big coaster freak - so that says a lot). If I went into a park for just one ride.. there would be no way I could pass up all the other great rides/attractions!

Hey... wasn't this thread from back in Sept 2002? :)

The ride as just a ride is B Average Fun.

The ride as a Disney ride is D.

It's good to get more negative, it makes your expectations low and the experience much more tollerable. If everyone said it was the greatest thing ever, then you would be let down after you rode it. :)

Revival of an old thread, but anyway...

I think the themeing is very strange. Disney is themeing the area as a faux-cheap carnival. Wasn't Disneyland originally built by Walt as a classy family alternative to cheap carnivals? Now Disney is building fake carnivals? What would Walt think?

What's especially weird is that I'm sure the fake-cheap look cost much more than the real-cheap look they're trying to imitate.

The whole area's themeing didn't work for me - I could get that look at any local carnival! My initial reaction was "I can't believe they built this area on an old parking lot - oh, wait, that's intentional. How lame!"

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by FourFourSeven

I think the themeing is very strange. Disney is themeing the area as a faux-cheap carnival. Wasn't Disneyland originally built by Walt as a classy family alternative to cheap carnivals? Now Disney is building fake carnivals? What would Walt think?

What's especially weird is that I'm sure the fake-cheap look cost much more than the real-cheap look they're trying to imitate.

The whole area's themeing didn't work for me - I could get that look at any local carnival! My initial reaction was "I can't believe they built this area on an old parking lot - oh, wait, that's intentional. How lame!"

I've been saying this since I heard about the concept...and I still wasn't impressed when I saw the finished product...

:hurl:

ToTBellHop

Take a peak at some of the original plans for Disneyland--it was never supposed to be as large as it ended up being--Walt, indeed, originally planned for several small-scale rides (today we would call them carny rides), with a little extra to make it more family-friendly. At the heart of Walt's plans were always the Cast Members.

WDWspider

Originally posted by DogsRule!
Take a peak at some of the original plans for Disneyland--it was never supposed to be as large as it ended up being--Walt, indeed, originally planned for several small-scale rides (today we would call them carny rides), with a little extra to make it more family-friendly. At the heart of Walt's plans were always the Cast Members.

I have read and seen too many Walt Documentaries to believe this. I know Walt's standards and I have seen the old Disneyland Concepts... this is by no way the same. Good Try. ;)

Obviously that is why we ended up with the Disneyland we got. :lol:

CREEKWAYNE

Originally posted by spider-man
The ride as just a ride is B Average Fun.

The ride as a Disney ride is D.

It's good to get more negative, it makes your expectations low and the experience much more tollerable. If everyone said it was the greatest thing ever, then you would be let down after you rode it. :)

I agree totally here with spider-man!:eek:

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by spider-man
I have read and seen too many Walt Documentaries to believe this. I know Walt's standards and I have seen the old Disneyland Concepts... this is by no way the same. Good Try. ;)

Obviously that is why we ended up with the Disneyland we got. :lol:

Actually, that is the way it was--argue with me all you want, that's how it was. It was not originally to include all the theming that the final version would have--it was supposed to be a small park no larger than what is today Tomorrowland, with small rides--no Castle; no exquisite theming. They don't make Walt documentaries about this aspect because it doesn't really pertain to the final vision of Disneyland, however you will find this in books about Walt. By the time Walt spoke about Disneyland on his show, he had already finalized the plans for Disneyland that we currently see--step back into the 40s. Am I trying to say it makes building this land right? No. But, the lame Walt argument that people have been using since plans for this project came out is both warn out and not all that logical. Does Fantasyland not include cardboard cut outs (Mr. Toad), "animatronics" with very little movement, and spin-and-puke rides? One would argue that if Primeval Whirl were in a building with black lights, you would see it as a classic Disney ride...

WDWspider

Actually, that is the way it was--argue with me all you want, that's how it was. It was not originally to include all the theming that the final version would have--it was supposed to be a small park no larger than what is today Tomorrowland, with small rides--no Castle; no exquisite theming. They don't make Walt documentaries about this aspect because it doesn't really pertain to the final vision of Disneyland, however you will find this in books about Walt. By the time Walt spoke about Disneyland on his show, he had already finalized the plans for Disneyland that we currently see--step back into the 40s. Am I trying to say it makes building this land right? No. But, the lame Walt argument that people have been using since plans for this project came out is both warn out and not all that logical. Does Fantasyland not include cardboard cut outs (Mr. Toad), "animatronics" with very little movement, and spin-and-puke rides? One would argue that if Primeval Whirl were in a building with black lights, you would see it as a classic Disney ride...

Wasn't arguing, just don't agree. :lol: I have seen what you are talking about (the original park concepts).. I said that already. But as you and I both said, the final results is what matters. You know, I will give you the inside the building though. Matter of fact if they had contained that ride in a building out of sight and had not went for a mini land on the theme of cheapness then my perceptions would change greatly I believe. I think more than anything I hate that AK appears to be such a intelligent park about conservation, nature, and co-existence. Dino-rama majorly underplays these ideas in our minds. It's a little bit sub-conscious to me I guess. Easily Teacups and others could be classified this way but it has a lot to do with presentation, appearance, and time period the ride was built I think also.

One would argue that if Primeval Whirl were in a building with black lights, you would see it as a classic Disney ride...

Yep, I agree, it probably would be. RnR and Space Mountain are not exactly earth-shattering coasters (both pretty typical for the era they were constructed). But both are indoors with cool lighting and cool effects. That makes them classics. If Primeval Whirl was an indoor roller-coaster with amusing Dinosaur scenes spinning by, say "Mr. Dinosaur's Wild Ride," it'd probably be a classic.

Regardless of the initial Disneyland plans, the themeing of this area is exactly not what Walt ANNOUNCED or BUILT, nor what the Disney company has built since his death. It still strikes me as completely out-of-context and "Disney does a pretend version of what Disney strives NOT to be."

(Incidentally, being indoors alone does not a great ride make. Anyone ever ride "Skull Mountain" at Six Flags Great Adventure? The world's most boring ride - and you can even see light leaking into the building. Absolutely terrible.)

Katherine

I won't call it a disney classic ever!!...but it is a nice rollercoaster. I went on it the last time we were there and I thought it was really fun! not disney at all but just a rollercoaster.

Michael72688

Yep, I agree, it probably would be. RnR and Space Mountain are not exactly earth-shattering coasters (both pretty typical for the era they were constructed). But both are indoors with cool lighting and cool effects. That makes them classics. If Primeval Whirl was an indoor roller-coaster with amusing Dinosaur scenes spinning by, say "Mr. Dinosaur's Wild Ride," it'd probably be a classic.

Regardless of the initial Disneyland plans, the themeing of this area is exactly not what Walt ANNOUNCED or BUILT, nor what the Disney company has built since his death. It still strikes me as completely out-of-context and "Disney does a pretend version of what Disney strives NOT to be."

(Incidentally, being indoors alone does not a great ride make. Anyone ever ride "Skull Mountain" at Six Flags Great Adventure? The world's most boring ride - and you can even see light leaking into the building. Absolutely terrible.)

Tell me, does every single Disney ride have to be inside?

SirNim

Well, it fits in with Chester and Hester's Scuzzball O' Frugality (oops!:eek: I mean :) Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama!), so it is themed appropriately. It does tell a story, so it does have one of the key concepts of any Disney attraction.. it tells a story. A story about the end of the reign of the dinosaurs, and the comic mishaps that unfolded just before and after the giant Asteroid. Yes, it is a fun ride. You will not really get that same feeling of spinning and dropping anywhere else on property, until at least M:S opens:D. It is like a multi-dimensional Tea Party. Finally, you cannot compare Primeval Whirl to the rest of WDW without comparing Chester and Hester's to the rest of WDW. Chester and Hester's, I think, is a good way to balance out the high (tech)thrills of the nearby Dinosaur! attraction with some fun for the kiddies, and those seeking something a little on the tamer side. Yes, it features carnival games. No, I do not appreciate carnival games in WDW. Yes it features a hokey road-side feel. No, I wish to feel I am in WDW, not in a local flea infested carnival. Yes it features two low-tech yet genuinely fun rides. Yes they fit in with C+H's. Does C+H's necessarily fit in with AK? The dramitic villages of Harambe and Anandapur, but then smack dab in front of you C+H? It really does tie in with the themeing of Dinoland. SmallTown America. Perhaps the West. Not the gold rush, but the Palentological Rush. Tourists on vacation. Eager entrprenuers eager to make a buck. All in all, a very romantic aura, eh? Perhaps. Perhaps not. So I leave it at that. Certainly Disney could use that space for attraction(s) a bit more "advanced". Perhaps they could use that money spent on the area for the development of a few more different things, things that would require a "big" budget. But I am optimistic in that I hope C+H's is only a placeholder, a guise, or ruse, that turns our attention away from where the real mega e-ticket will be built. But that's just me.:) Happy Pondering!:lol: :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom