"What's Next?" presentation December 7th

bubbles1812

Unless Potter 2.0 was a response to the Avatar announcement? There are a lot of unknown variables that'll we'll never figure out. Regardless, I stand by the idea that rising tide and with competition, we all win.

Haha. Sorry. This one made me laugh. Avatar was certainly a jerk reaction to Potter but Potter 2.0 was in no way a jerk reaction to Avatar. It was always down in the contract Uni had with Rowling/WB that they would include things from the later books and movies. If HP hadn't been successful I'm sure said area would have been small. As it were, HP ended up being a runaway success. And why wouldn't you want to do a huge expansion of something that's making you oodles and oodles of money?

I don't think any of what Uni has done is out of fear over what Disney is doing. It's been more of a "hey, we have buttloads of cash. Let's use it" reaction to their own newfound success. And they saw they had something mega successful in Transformers as well so why not bring it to one of your revived parks? It certainly means they are a better competitor to be sure against Disney and I am sure they want that. But again, what they are doing is not from fear. Not to mention Uni already knew it had more money coming down the pipeline to combat it if it ever did get built.

The Avatar announcement as something to "scare" Uni with...sorry I just can't buy it at all. Universal knows how dang slow Disney builds these days. If I were management I probably would have just laughed at said announcement and said, well we'll worry about that one if it ever gets built...probably in about a decade or so.

John

Haha. Sorry. This one made me laugh. Avatar was certainly a jerk reaction to Potter but Potter 2.0 was in no way a jerk reaction to Avatar. It was always down in the contract Uni had with Rowling/WB that they would include things from the later books and movies. If HP hadn't been successful I'm sure said area would have been small. As it were, HP ended up being a runaway success. And why wouldn't you want to do a huge expansion of something that's making you oodles and oodles of money?

I don't think any of what Uni has done is out of fear over what Disney is doing. It's been more of a "hey, we have buttloads of cash. Let's use it" reaction to their own newfound success. And they saw they had something mega successful in Transformers as well so why not bring it to one of your revived parks? It certainly means their a better competitor to be sure against Disney and I am sure they want that. But again, what they are doing is not from fear. Not to mention Uni already knew it had more money coming down the pipeline to combat it if it ever did get built.

The Avatar announcement as something to "scare" Uni with...sorry I just can't buy it at all. Universal knows how dang slow Disney builds these days. If I were management I probably would have just laughed at said announcement and said, well we'll worry about that one if it ever gets built...probably in about a decade or so.

Thanks for repling for me....saves me the trouble.:).......good answer.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

Again, regardless. Disney will add something, we just don't know what yet. That's what excites me, the future looks bright. As for Universal, I'm glad they're spending their money, good for them, we all benefit. I don't see what the big deal is, really. We all know none of us are going to stop going to Disney, and we can enjoy both properties.

awoogala

why IS Disney so darn slow? This fantasyland thing took forever. With the money they make, and the power they wield, I do not understand! Is it merely in fighting? Is it because there are too many people with power at Disney? I've seen towns go up faster than rides at Disney, and I do not understand it

Magenta Panther

why IS Disney so darn slow? This fantasyland thing took forever. With the money they make, and the power they wield, I do not understand! Is it merely in fighting? Is it because there are too many people with power at Disney? I've seen towns go up faster than rides at Disney, and I do not understand it

I don't either. Is it complacency? Taking Disneyphiles for granted? Disney CEOs who have cinderblocks in place of brains and balance sheets in place of creativity?

bubbles1812

Disney is extremely good at mismanaging money and also just having too many managers period. While most major corporations are guilty of having an intensely bloated bureaucracy, I'd say Disney has one of the worst. There are so many levels of management that things have to go through that even simple things/ideas can take a ridiculously long time to get approval. When it comes to construction at Disney, it is no different. I'm not sure if it was on this thread or another where someone said that on every Disney project, for one worker there are two managers. Maybe a slight exaggeration but not much. Too many people wanting to "make their mark" and also prove their job actually has relevance does not make for an efficacious work environment. Sad isn't it? :(

Skibum1970

I think that the difference is that UNI is motivated right now to capitalize on the momentum that they've created. HP 1.0 was an unmitigated success that caused a pretty massive swing in visitors to IOA (if I understand the numbers right). HP 2.0 is continuing that theme and also will present people with more motivation to purchase the park hopper. Transformers will jump on the momentum that was created in UNI Hollywood and also create a great bridge to HP 2.0

awoogala

Disney is extremely good at mismanaging money and also just having too many managers period. While most major corporations are guilty of having an intensely bloated bureaucracy, I'd say Disney has one of the worst. There are so many levels of management that things have to go through for even simple things/ideas can take a ridiculously long time to get approval. When it comes to construction at Disney, it is no different. I'm not sure if it was on this thread or another where someone said that on every Disney project, for one worker there are two managers. Maybe a slight exaggeration but not much. Too many people wanting to "make their mark" and also prove their job actually has relevance does not make for an efficacious work environment. Sad isn't it? :(
absolutely. This is what kills me. Middle management and dreams do not go well together:(

menamechris

Disney is extremely good at mismanaging money and also just having too many managers period. While most major corporations are guilty of having an intensely bloated bureaucracy, I'd say Disney has one of the worst. There are so many levels of management that things have to go through for even simple things/ideas can take a ridiculously long time to get approval. When it comes to construction at Disney, it is no different. I'm not sure if it was on this thread or another where someone said that on every Disney project, for one worker there are two managers. Maybe a slight exaggeration but not much. Too many people wanting to "make their mark" and also prove their job actually has relevance does not make for an efficacious work environment. Sad isn't it? :(

This is dead on. But then again, how can you expect a fat cat to catch a mouse? :rolleyes: It really is time for some serious reorganization at the corporate level for Disney. Problems such as these have brought huge corporations down before. A company needs to be able to have enough 'checks and balances' to make sure things are being done right - but it should not be at the expense of being able to move forward or react to competition in a reasonable amount of time....

awoogala

I am hoping the rumor that disc world was coming to the big screen via a hand drawn Disney movie is true, they don't screw it up, and it will come to the parks and rival harry potter. That would be a fantasy land to rival potter, and has a built in rabid fan base that will come to wdw, even if they never would before.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

I am hoping the rumor that disc world was coming to the big screen via a hand drawn Disney movie is true, they don't screw it up, and it will come to the parks and rival harry potter. That would be a fantasy land to rival potter, and has a built in rabid fan base that will come to wdw, even if they never would before.

What?

menamechris

perhaps I am reading the wrong things, but several animation blogs had pointed to a hand-drawn version of mort.Is this no longer in play? I am not that good at this rumor mill.
Ron Clements and john musket? Started with 2010, said to be slated for 2014?

Don't think something like this would be announced..

awoogala

Don't think something like this would be announced..
sorry,should have quoted. Off track, not part of the announcement, just a response to the uni potter/ Disney's rebuttal, etc. I am hoping disc world is that rebuttal. I would love to walk through ankh- morpork

bubbles1812

sorry,should have quoted. Off track, not part of the announcement, just a response to the uni potter/ Disney's rebuttal, etc. I am hoping disc world is that rebuttal. I would love to walk through ankh- morpork

Sorry but what in the world is this referring to? And Disc world? Feel like I'm missing something...

GeorgiaPinesRJB

All I could think of was frisbee disc golf... somehow I don't think Disney wants to invest in a whole park dedicated to as my dear friend Andy from the Office calls it...frolf!

:D

Maybe it's a new addition to the Wide World of Sports complex? Maybe THAT'S what they're announcing on Dec. 7th?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom