"What's Next?" presentation December 7th

bubbles1812

Maybe, but like it has been discussed ad nauseum here on other threads....Disney needs to focus on the four gates in WDW they have no before going off half-cocked and adding a half-finished 5th gate. Make the four current parks the best damn parks they can be first!

Besides, knowing how Rowling feels about Harry Potter, WDI would have their hands-tied with the attractions. Remember she brokered the deal with WB that they can only make movies based on the 7 books, no spin-offs? Well I feel the attractions needed for a full park wouldn't be able to fit the books/movies without branching out and getting creative, which Rowling probably wouldn't allow.
I think it was wise of Rowling to broker that deal with WB. Who wants crappy spin offs that werent part of a wonderfully written story?

Also. I'm honestly shocked you think they couldn't have built enough rides while keeping in the context of books/movies. The world Rowling created was massive. If WDI couldn't have made enough rides while keeping in with the books/movies, I think I would have been ashamed of them. In theory, they are supposed to be a creative group of people...that would have been an utter failure on their part if they couldn't. Not to mention Uni seems to have done just fine...you'd think Disney could at least do what Uni has.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

I think it was wise of Rowling to broker that deal with WB. Who wants crappy spin offs that werent part of a wonderfully written story?

Also. I'm honestly shocked you think they couldn't have built enough rides while keeping in the context of books/movies. The world Rowling created was massive. If WDI couldn't have made enough rides while keeping in with the books/movies, I think I would have been ashamed of them. In theory, they are supposed to be a creative group of people...that would have been an utter failure on their part if they couldn't. Not to mention Uni seems to have done just fine...you'd think Disney could at least do what Uni has.

I'm just saying, a lot of the rides and shows would be based on the books for any type of story. Look how much she reigned in Alfonso Cuaron just on aesthetics for the third movie... that's what I'm talking about. And that movie has the best aesthetic from all the movies (imo). So yes, I do think creatively, WDI would have their hands tied or at the very least, have a lot of ideas shot down in the end.

bubbles1812

Rumor has it that Rowling wanted there to be a fifth gate, she thought Harry Potter franchise said could carry one all on it's own and Disney shot it down because they didn't want to build a fifth gate. Apparently she also wanted it in the MK with a complete replica of Hogwarts as seen in the movies and Disney told her there was no room and it would be bigger than Cinderella's Castle and she didn't want it in any of the other parks...

No... Those are some pretty extreme demands. Rowling wanted to control but to ask Disney to trump their most iconic landmark? I don't think anyone is that stupid. Not to mention they can't make it bigger because of height restrictions from the FAA. I think potter actually could have supported a 5th park all it's own maybe..but again, that's a pretty astronomical demand of a place that already has 4 parks.

jdmdisney99

Maybe you should try UNI? Maybe sucking down the same Pixie Dust trip after trip doesn't really do more than numb the brain to the fact there are other vacation options out there.

Not saying go cold turkey as I've seen fanbois set themselves on fire after trying, but, perhaps, just take two days off your WDW trip and spend them at UNI -- and don't be searching for the Disney MAGIC while there, but allow the UNI MAGIC to seep into your Spirit.

Oh, and Disney isn't practically playing catch up ... they are so far behind that it will take years just to get to the starting line.

Just some thoughts ...
Yeah, we want to try UNI sometime. HP looks great. :)

GeorgiaPinesRJB

No... Those are some pretty extreme demands. Rowling wanted to control but to ask Disney to trump their most iconic landmark? I don't think anyone is that stupid. Not to mention they can't make it bigger because of height restrictions from the FAA. I think potter actually could have supported a 5th park all it's own maybe..but again, that's a pretty astronomical demand of a place that already has 4 parks.

Just telling what I heard. Hogwarts would have dwarfed Cinderella's castle... and like I said, I heard she wanted it in MK, but as Spirit pointed out, that wasn't a deal breaker...

bubbles1812

I'm just saying, a lot of the rides and shows would be based on the books for any type of story. Look how much she reigned in Alfonso Cuaron just on aesthetics for the third movie... that's what I'm talking about. And that movie has the best aesthetic from all the movies (imo). So yes, I do think creatively, WDI would have their hands tied or at the very least, have a lot of ideas shot down in the end.

I would rather have Rowling have the most control as it was her creation than have WDI (or Universal or anyone who would have gotten Potter) totally get away from the vision she had of her world. There was a reason she walked away, and at a huge loss to Disney..though it's clear they are only just realizing it. And again, it seems that Uni was able to do just fine working with Rowling and the team behind the movies...

bubbles1812

Just telling what I heard. Hogwarts would have dwarfed Cinderella's castle... and like I said, I heard she wanted it in MK, but as Spirit pointed out, that wasn't a deal breaker...

It would have been wider I suppose. But no way they could have made a full on replica. The building they modeled hogwarts exterior on is huge. (Is some sort of cathedral I believe) But again, they couldn't have made it taller via FAA rules. I think Cinderella's Castle is one foot below restrictions? Not much.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

I would rather have Rowling have the most control as it was her creation than have WDI (or Universal or anyone who would have gotten Potter) totally get away from the vision she had of her world. There was a reason she walked away, and at a huge loss to Disney..though it's clear they are only just realizing it. And again, it seems that Uni was able to do just fine working with Rowling and the team behind the movies...

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree I suppose. WWoHP looks amazing, I want to see it and I am a fan of HP... but just my personal preference (even though it means I have to spend more) but I'm glad and like my Disney and my HP have a bit of a separation, as odd as that sounds.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

It would have been wider I suppose. But no way they could have made a full on replica. The building they modeled hogwarts exterior on is huge. (Is some sort of cathedral I believe) But again, they couldn't have made it taller via FAA rules. I think Cinderella's Castle is one foot below restrictions? Not much.

Perhaps. I think when you add in the fact that it has huge sprawling cathedral like space, like you mention, and then it's up on this huge freaking cliff...it would have dwarfed Cindy's castle. And you know doing like what they did with the Beast's castle would have never flown. I know everyone thinks it is Disney's loss for losing HP, but I am on the opinion that a rising tide raises all boats...

bubbles1812

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree I suppose. WWoHP looks amazing, I want to see it and I am a fan of HP... but just my personal preference (even though it means I have to spend more) but I'm glad and like my Disney and my HP have a bit of a separation, as odd as that sounds.

To each their own. And thats just fine :) I'm glad HP ended up at Uni for much different reasons... I simply don't think Disney would have been willing to spend the money the way Uni was to make the land the way it deserved to be built. And if Rowling had given up her control, again, I think it would have gotten away from the vision she had for her world. (Am a big fan of HP too as you can tell ;)). There is a reason Disney had to back track a bit and give Cameron more control because it backfired when they tried to make a deal with Rowling.

I hope you do give WWOHP and the rest of Universal (know we've discussed this in another thread but it really does have much more to offer now than it used to and has improved a ton) a try :)

M.rudolf

Perhaps. I think when you add in the fact that it has huge sprawling cathedral like space, like you mention, and then it's up on this huge freaking cliff...it would have dwarfed Cindy's castle. And you know doing like what they did with the Beast's castle would have never flown. I know everyone thinks it is Disney's loss for losing HP, but I am on the opinion that a rising tide raises all boats...
I have to agree, competition is better for everyone in the long run. What if Disney had got Potter and nothing was done with it. Say they bought it just so Uni couldn't. Believe me soon Disney has to react. They can only rest on their laurels for so long. It has to hurt Disney's pride to know that they are no longer the top dog attraction wise. I really hate to say this but if potter was in Disney it wouldn't be half of what it is now.

bubbles1812

Not sure what you mean by how it could have dwarfed Cindy's castle? Could you clarify? Yes it is a cathedral but again, it really could not have been made taller than Cindy's. I do think they would have had to do something similar to universal using the forces perspective technique. It would have had to be bigger than beasts castle, true, but I think if they could have gone the universal route, it wouldn't have been so bad. Thoughts spirit did say, wasn't a deal breaker to be in MK.

There was a massive thread over the summer concerning that very quote of "a rising tide raises all boats.". The thing is, it hasn't been shown that this is happening yet. Disney hasn't done anything radically new to "swot Potter." (No. Not counting NFE. It's a beautiful land but in terms of rides or anything truly pushing boundaries as I know WDI is capable of..just don't see it). Avatar was seemingly their answer but we all know how that project is going. I'm hopeful about Carsland/Pixar Place expansion but again, nothing official. Not to mention it takes Disney so long to build things that by the time they do get it built, Uni will have moved on to their many other projects. And attendance is still stagnant.

That being said..I really do hope you are right! Truly. Competition is great. Which is why I'm so excited by what Uni is doing not just because I'm excited about their projects by themselves but because I hope it spurs Disney to fix the problems they have and do some amazing things. I just haven't seen it quite yet

GeorgiaPinesRJB

To each their own. And thats just fine :) I'm glad HP ended up at Uni for much different reasons... I simply don't think Disney would have been willing to spend the money the way Uni was to make the land the way it deserved to be built. And if Rowling had given up her control, again, I think it would have gotten away from the vision she had for her world. (Am a big fan of HP too as you can tell ;)). There is a reason Disney had to back track a bit and give Cameron more control because it backfired when they tried to make a deal with Rowling.

I hope you do give WWOHP and the rest of Universal (know we've discussed this in another thread but it really does have much more to offer now than it used to and has improved a ton) a try :)

I will, some day! I promise!

I have to agree, competition is better for everyone in the long run. What if Disney had got Potter and nothing was done with it. Say they bought it just so Uni couldn't. Believe me soon Disney has to react. They can only rest on their laurels for so long. It has to hurt Disney's pride to know that they are no longer the top dog attraction wise. I really hate to say this but if potter was in Disney it wouldn't be half of what it is now.

A lot of the reasons why I am glad HP is at another park. Gave Uni a reason to exist and not have rides based on subpar movies from the 30 years ago that people have forgotten (like Kong). Healthy competition in the open market is great! I think Disney will react and I think this gives them the opportunity to give the fans something they really want... The opportunities now for Disney are endless. I know there are budget concerns but I think we will see something great coming in the future. New Fantasyland is a step in the right direction, I think. I showed my mother pics (she hasn't been to the parks since 2004) and just on BoG she said: "we need to go, we need to eat there!"

M.rudolf

Not sure what you mean by how it could have dwarfed Cindy's castle? Could you clarify? Yes it is a cathedral but again, it really could not have been made taller than Cindy's. I do think they would have had to do something similar to universal using the forces perspective technique. It would have had to be bigger than beasts castle, true, but I think if they could have gone the universal route, it wouldn't have been so bad. Thoughts spirit did say, wasn't a deal breaker to be in MK.

There was a massive thread over the summer concerning that very quote of "a rising tide raises all boats.". The thing is, it hasn't been shown that this is happening yet. Disney hasn't done anything radically new to "swot Potter." (No. Not counting NFE. It's a beautiful land but in terms of rides or anything truly pushing boundaries as I know WDI is capable of..just don't see it). Avatar was seemingly their answer but we all know how that project is going. I'm hopeful about Carsland/Pixar Place expansion but again, nothing official. Not to mention it takes Disney so long to build things that by the time they do get it built, Uni will have moved on to their many other projects
Hogwarts would have dwarfed the main castle in sheer size and theming alone. Disney does want or need a potter swatter,what they need to do is play to their strengths, great family rides with world class theming, Cars land will be built, it will be ground broke before an announcement is made. It will take forever to build though, that's just Disney, I want Uni to keep building, keep improving, because if Disney doesn't react then Uni will become a better alternative. As for avatar if it gets built I will eat a hat, Mickey ears and all

M.rudolf

I will, some day! I promise!

A lot of the reasons why I am glad HP is at another park. Gave Uni a reason to exist and not have rides based on subpar movies from the 30 years ago that people have forgotten (like Kong). Healthy competition in the open market is great! I think Disney will react and I think this gives them the opportunity to give the fans something they really want... The opportunities now for Disney are endless. I know there are budget concerns but I think we will see something great coming in the future. New Fantasyland is a step in the right direction, I think. I showed my mother pics (she hasn't been to the parks since 2004) and just on BoG she said: "we need to go, we need to eat there!"
No one forgets Kong , maybe the remake but not the original

GeorgiaPinesRJB

There was a massive thread over the summer concerning that very quote of "a rising tide raises all boats.". The thing is, it hasn't been shown that this is happening yet. Disney hasn't done anything radically new to "swot Potter." (No. Not counting NFE. It's a beautiful land but in terms of rides or anything truly pushing boundaries as I know WDI is capable of..just don't see it). Avatar was seemingly their answer but we all know how that project is going. I'm hopeful about Carsland/Pixar Place expansion but again, nothing official. Not to mention it takes Disney so long to build things that by the time they do get it built, Uni will have moved on to their many other projects. And attendance is still stagnant.

That being said..I really do hope you are right! Truly. Competition is great. Which is why I'm so excited by what Uni is doing not just because I'm excited about their projects by themselves but because I hope it spurs Disney to fix the problems they have and do some amazing things. I just haven't seen it quite yet

True, force perspective COULD work, and I haven't been to WWoHP so I can't say how well it works for Hogwarts there...but for what I heard, Rowling wanted a lot of Hogwarts built as seen in the movies and a lot of the Disney execs and WDI were afraid that it would be too big and dwarf Cindy's castle in MK. Could they have worked something else out? Probably. Besides, I feel that WWoHP in MK would have outshown everything else that is great in that park...nobody wants that for their flagship park. Sum equal to it's parts.

And rising tide because people will go to Orlando for one of the two properties and eventually make their way to the other. I know A LOT of people who went to Orlando for Disney, added an extra day to go see the Boy Wizard and vice versa. That's definitely what I plan for my next trip. 3-5 days at Disney and the last day will be spent at WWoHP. The various parks in Orlando finally can feed off each other.

I think Avatar was just an attempt to scare Uni. "Oh yeah, we got this property!" I honestly don't think we'll see anything come to fruition with the project and AK will be opened up to other opportunities (like an Australia or Discovery Bay area). And if we do see something with Avatar, if everything can get sorted out, I'm sure it'll look amazing. I was against it at first but I have come around to the idea. Regardless, AK NEEDS something.

And I agree with you, I think Disney will be forced to fix current problems with UNI spending more money at the moment... We shall see. I am patient haha

GeorgiaPinesRJB

Hogwarts would have dwarfed the main castle in sheer size and theming alone. Disney does want or need a potter swatter,what they need to do is play to their strengths, great family rides with world class theming, Cars land will be built, it will be ground broke before an announcement is made. It will take forever to build though, that's just Disney, I want Uni to keep building, keep improving, because if Disney doesn't react then Uni will become a better alternative. As for avatar if it gets built I will eat a hat, Mickey ears and all

Exactly how I feel! Play to their strengths, which I have been saying for ages now haha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom