"What's Next" Presentation cancelled.....

Captain Chaos

As they should be. I dont agree with anything they say but this site works because Steve allows folk to say their piece, even when its complete bollocks like most of my posts.
But, I feel there is a difference to your posts and some of these others I was talking about... Your posts, well, are funny... Others are down right mean, nasty, and derogatory towards other people and their opinions...

Wait, what was the topic of conversation again?

Brian Noble

That doesn't work at all, although I would never advise anyone to visit anywhere (WDW included) if they are miserable.

But if they just don't like the direction management is taking (like myself and the vast majority of so called 'critics') I would say that isn't effective at all. We lose a place we still love and Disney happily replaces us with rubes who think the place has never been better. That's exactly what they want. I don't wish to give them what they so desire. I'd rather try my damndest to make them live up to their own standards and PR.
So, you'll give them money *and* complain about it? Have fun storming the castle. If you keep coming back, I'm not sure anyone at TDO cares beyond that.

I also don't buy the whole 'we must see CC or else it isn't a MAGICal Disney cruise' idea either.
Which is fine. But, I "know" (in the online sense) quite a few DCL devotees. If a cruise does not hit CC, they are not interested. The rest of the itineraries aren't that impressive even when they branch out. The Alaska itinerary was a Vancouver (or, even worse, Seattle) round-trip rather than a one-way. We did the Vancouver roundtrip in 2011, and enjoyed it, but you don't even get out of the Southeast. Most "seasoned" cruisers will tell you that we short-changed ourselves. And don't even get me started on "only" seeing Tracy's Arm.

Edited to add: I'm not trying to make this a black-and-white decision of love-it-or-leave-it. Some things at WDW need help---a LOT of help. But, the only thing that is going to get TDO's attention is declines in attendance and guest spending---more drastic than anything they've seen to date. If the "rubes" keep coming and paying their money, I don't think TDO will mind or care. I'm not really taking such a principled step, but it's no accident that our family went to Universal/Sea World last summer, and are going to Anaheim, Washington DC, and Paris for our next several family vacations. The one after that is probably going to be one of those "lame" DCL itineraries in 2014.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
So, you'll give them money *and* complain about it? Have fun storming the castle. If you keep coming back, I'm not sure anyone at TDO cares beyond that.

Because staying off property, eating mostly off property, and not buy hardly any merch at all gives a huge hit to their intake when you are using an AP. They mainly cover bottom line and bottom line alone. Sounds pretty simple and straight forth to me. On top of that choosing to go to UNI/SWF/BGT instead of spending additional days at TheWorld for those using MYW.

SirLink

Because staying off property, eating mostly off property, and not buy hardly any merch at all gives a huge hit to their intake when you are using an AP. They mainly cover bottom line and bottom line alone. Sounds pretty simple and straight forth to me. On top of that choosing to go to UNI/SWF/BGT instead of spending additional days at TheWorld for those using MYW.

THIS. THIS. THIS.

I don't understand why more fans always think it is about attendance when its always will be about average spending per guest.

lazyboy97o

THIS. THIS. THIS.

I don't understand why more fans always think it is about attendance when its always will be about average spending per guest.
Same reason they want to make liking Disney into a dichotomy of either completely love or completely hate. Too much of the self is identified with Disney, so you either like the person or don't.

RunnerEd

Sorry I'm late to the thread but I have 2 things to (hopefully) contribute.

1) The announcement name change could go either of 2 ways. In previous years, they've used the "What's New, What's Next" name to announce that a planter was being added to the entry plaza of one of the parks and little else. TDO realizes this and could go either way; there are massive announcements (Cars/Avatar/etc.) or even less and they had to change the name. We'll see tomorrow.

2) As a member of the military, I'm very restricted to any west coast based cruises due to the drug wars in Mexico; it's one of the world's most dangerous countries. If I took a west coast cruise on any line, I and my colleagues in uniform would have to remain on the ship in most Mexican ports and virtually all of them on the west coast. I don't have a problem with DCL leaving California if it was for that reason.

DznyRktekt

As a member of the military, I'm very restricted to any west coast based cruises due to the drug wars in Mexico; it's one of the world's most dangerous countries in the world. If I took a west coast cruise on any line, I and my colleagues in uniform would have to remain on the ship in most Mexican ports and virtually all of them on the west coast. I don't have a problem with DCL leaving California if it was for that reason.

Very interesting and scary. Thank you for your service!

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese

1) The announcement name change could go either of 2 ways. In previous years, they've used the "What's New, What's Next" name to announce that a planter was being added to the entry plaza of one of the parks and little else. TDO realizes this and could go either way; there are massive announcements (Cars/Avatar/etc.) or even less and they had to change the name. We'll see tomorrow.

2) As a member of the military, I'm very restricted to any west coast based cruises due to the drug wars in Mexico; it's one of the world's most dangerous countries in the world. If I took a west coast cruise on any line, I and my colleagues in uniform would have to remain on the ship in most Mexican ports and virtually all of them on the west coast. I don't have a problem with DCL leaving California if it was for that reason.

Thank you for your service. Stay safe.

Mawg

2) As a member of the military, I'm very restricted to any west coast based cruises due to the drug wars in Mexico; it's one of the world's most dangerous countries in the world. If I took a west coast cruise on any line, I and my colleagues in uniform would have to remain on the ship in most Mexican ports and virtually all of them on the west coast. I don't have a problem with DCL leaving California if it was for that reason.

Yes, I have a friend in the Army in Intelligence. She believes Mexico is currently a more dangerous situation than Iraq is. Stay away.

RunnerEd

Yes, I have a friend in the Army in Intelligence. She believes Mexico is currently a more dangerous situation than Iraq is. Stay away.
They have had nearly 50,000 drug war related deaths over the last 6 years. I completely agree with your friend and don't understand why the extreme level of violence and terrorism aren't reported here.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

ChrisM

They have had nearly 50,000 drug war related deaths over the last 6 years. I completely agree with your friend and don't understand why the extreme level of violence and terrorism aren't reported here.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Before everyone avoids Mexio entirely, please realize it's a large country and the violence is largely contained to 3-4 states. Steer clear of those, be aware of your surroundings, and you'll be fine.

This is all with the caveat that where it's bad, it's really, really, really bad.

RunnerEd

Before everyone avoids Mexio entirely, please realize it's a large country and the violence is largely contained to 3-4 states. Steer clear of those, be aware of your surroundings, and you'll be fine.

This is all with the caveat that where it's bad, it's really, really, really bad.
The military travel advisory covers more than 3-4 states, more like the northern 1/3 to 1/2 of the country but you are exactly right. The vacation areas on the Yucatan Peninsula, for example, are "green" for military and offer a beautiful, affordable beach vacation option as long as it's not hurricane season.

PirateFrank

I'm sorry. I have to pipe in here, as this is a terribly reckless thing to say as it sounds like there is no violence at all in other states. Sorry, simply not true....and the State Department makes it very clear that Mexico, as a whole, is a very dangerous place, despite having individual state warnings that may be worse in some states and better in others. While the state department doesn't have specific advisories on travel to a state such as Quintana Roo (where Cancun and Cozymel are located), I don't think anyone can say with absolute certainty that 'you'll be fine' if you travel there. There *is* crime in those states as well and a number of years ago, my wife and I fell victim to some of it.

Moreover, the conditions in these states can change at any moment. The Mexican government is simply fumbling any and all efforts to prevent gang/narcotic related crime, which includes kidnapping, murders and beheadings (yes, beheadings!), in these trouble states. There's a really good chance that some of this activity will flow into other states before Mexico throws enough resources at it. Is it possible that such spillover can escalate significantly within 6-18 months (the average time someone books travel to mexico, via air or cruise)? absolutely!!!

I encourage everyone considering travel to mexico to read the state department's advisory on the country and proceed with travel plans with both eyes wide open....don't take my word for it or anyone elses. Do your own research!

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5815.html

WDW1974

I would like nothing more! Believe me, our travel tastes are a-changin' as our boys grow older. We've got a list going of things we intend to do once we can vacation just the two of us, you know, because it'll cost only half as much. LOL! Lots going on right now. Trying to do the right thing with the extended fam. The FiL is facing a hellacious battle with cancer and I'm about to lose a relative to the same villian. It's tough. But the list is there and it does NOT include WDW aside from our Port Canaveral stop next month while we are sailing the Magic out of Galveston.

I love the reference: Ms. Pee! That's awesome! My poor husband, for all his sweetness and lovability, he's a terrible speller. He took my wedding band to have it engraved many moons ago before we were married and that's the spelling he wrote down. Gotta love it.

You love Disney. You love travel. ... Going to Tokyo (or Paris or Hong Kong or better yet, all of the above) is the natural next step.

And I well understand cancer all too well. It is ravaging one of my closest friends right now and it sucks ... and I don't believe in any after-life to take the sting off ... so all I can say is that people need to live when they're alive. Putting things off and assuming there will be a tomorrow (especially with the world ending in two weeks) is not a world/life view this Spirit ascribes to.

ChrisM

I'm sorry. I have to pipe in here, as this is a terribly reckless thing to say as it sounds like there is no violence at all in other states. Sorry, simply not true....and the State Department makes it very clear that Mexico, as a whole, is a very dangerous place, despite having individual state warnings that may be worse in some states and better in others. While the state department doesn't have specific advisories on travel to a state such as Quintana Roo (where Cancun and Cozymel are located), I don't think anyone can say with absolute certainty that 'you'll be fine' if you travel there. There *is* crime in those states as well and a number of years ago, my wife and I fell victim to some of it.

Moreover, the conditions in these states can change at any moment. The Mexican government is simply fumbling any and all efforts to prevent gang/narcotic related crime, which includes kidnapping, murders and beheadings (yes, beheadings!), in these trouble states. There's a really good chance that some of this activity will flow into other states before Mexico throws enough resources at it. Is it possible that such spillover can escalate significantly within 6-18 months (the average time someone books travel to mexico, via air or cruise)? absolutely!!!

I encourage everyone considering travel to mexico to read the state department's advisory on the country and proceed with travel plans with both eyes wide open....don't take my word for it or anyone elses. Do your own research!

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5815.html

"Terribly reckless"? Really?

I would tell someone "they would be fine" traveling to Quintana Roo, Chicago, or New York. As with any other area, the possibilities of violence or crime exist. I'm sorry that you and yours were the victims of such, but it's definitely not the norm for American tourists in Mexico, particularly in the primary tourism locations.

Absolutely familiarize yourself with State Department recommendations before traveling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom