What's next for Epcot 2024 and Beyond

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Ooooh, rather we play with water but with Fire!
giphy.gif
Fire would be more fun lol

DreamfinderGuy

UO apparently, but I'd rather they not touch Spaceship Earth until everyone involved in the pre-Covid decision to re-theme it from discovery and technology to a history of storytelling (translation: send in the IP!) has moved on to other things.
You'll be happy to know that the majority of the project team was let go during the pandemic then, lol

PizzaPlanet

UO apparently, but I'd rather they not touch Spaceship Earth until everyone involved in the pre-Covid decision to re-theme it from discovery and technology to a history of storytelling (translation: send in the IP!) has moved on to other things.
I don’t think there were any IPs involved. Theme Park Stop made a really great breakdown of the planned changes and the closest thing to IP was possibly featuring Walt Disney.

Personally I think what will realistically happen is spaceship earth gets a scaled down refurbishment, Journey into Imagination finally gets its long deserved update, and maybe (and I do mean maybe cause this is modern Disney we’re talking about) something to finally replace the WOL building. After that though I just don’t see Disney doing any more additions or updates.

What I wish could happen is maybe a new pavilion on the former future world sight? There’s still a few areas of land that could house a small scale pavilion or at least a singular dark ride perhaps

aladdin2007

Personally I think what will realistically happen is spaceship earth gets a scaled down refurbishment, Journey into Imagination finally gets its long deserved update, and maybe (and I do mean maybe cause this is modern Disney we’re talking about) something to finally replace the WOL building. After that though I just don’t see Disney doing any more additions or updates.

What I wish could happen is maybe a new pavilion on the former future world sight? There’s still a few areas of land that could house a small scale pavilion or at least a singular dark ride perhaps
While that's a good plan of action I don't think any of it is going to happen anytime soon except SE they are going to have to address, like yesterday.

puckett26

Wishful thinking here.

The local amusement park where I live created a "lost" land that resurrected a few old attractions that were removed or were scheduled to be removed (however they also added new attractions so perhaps it should be properly renamed Lost and Found). I think this would be a great concept for EPCOT to introduce a "world" that is a tribute to original EPCOT and creatively features old attractions/pavilions (perhaps based on a survey). Magic Kingdom should have this as well. This will never happen for several reasons but would be amazing.

Epcot82Guy

Wishful thinking here.

The local amusement park where I live created a "lost" land that resurrected a few old attractions that were removed or were scheduled to be removed (however they also added new attractions so perhaps it should be properly renamed Lost and Found). I think this would be a great concept for EPCOT to introduce a "world" that is a tribute to original EPCOT and creatively features old attractions/pavilions (perhaps based on a survey). Magic Kingdom should have this as well. This will never happen for several reasons but would be amazing.

Lost Kennywood is the best part of the park!

Bocabear

I always thought it would be fascinating to do a proper Walt Disney and Imagineering pavilion at EPCOT...and with that, move Carousel Of Progress and Small World over...draw the links between the World's Fair and the original 1981 Epcot...that could be an entire area that could house forgotten attractions and ideas...Archives and models...and having COP and Small World presented with their historical context could be really amazing...to experience Small World and then exit at the entrance to World Showcase would be pretty amazing...
Imagine an "Imagineering" dark ride...concentrating on Walt's fascination with future living...complete with Full settings reconstructed from Horizons, World Of Motion, RCA Home of Future Living, 20000 Leagues under the Sea... and other lost attractions...

Epcot82Guy

I always thought it would be fascinating to do a proper Walt Disney and Imagineering pavilion at EPCOT...and with that, move Carousel Of Progress and Small World over...draw the links between the World's Fair and the original 1981 Epcot...that could be an entire area that could house forgotten attractions and ideas...Archives and models...and having COP and Small World presented with their historical context could be really amazing...to experience Small World and then exit at the entrance to World Showcase would be pretty amazing...
Imagine an "Imagineering" dark ride...concentrating on Walt's fascination with future living...complete with Full settings reconstructed from Horizons, World Of Motion, RCA Home of Future Living, 20000 Leagues under the Sea... and other lost attractions...

I always thought Imagineering would be the perfect host/sponsor for the successor to the ImageWorks. Models, interactive building and design exhibits, etc.

Bocabear

I like Mission Space...it is not super repeatable... I go on it once every few years... Not a must-do. It really could have been if they had built a full pavilion mars base with multiple attractions....and the flight was just the beginning... Like Seabase Alpha... It could have been the best thing, but instead it really feels like an unfinished thought...

Epcot82Guy

I agree. Even if the Advanced Training Lab was something substantive with interactive exhibits worth experiencing, it would have really fleshed out the attraction. I get the economics of the time. But, they didn't use all that much of the space (no pun intended). So, there could be an addition without a total redo.

SpectreJordan

Wishful thinking here.

Just bringing back Horizons in a new way would make a lot of people happy. Just put it where WOL is rotting.

EPCOT-O.G.

Since there’s few things Disney loves more than itself…

Journey into Imagineering feat. Figment

Horizonsfan

Just bringing back Horizons in a new way would make a lot of people happy. Just put it where WOL is rotting.
A full reimagined Horizons would buy a ton of fan good will. Even one that is more reliant on projection mapping or screens would be a statement of appreciation. It’s bizarre how Disney resists reimagining lost Florida classics. Most regional parks do this to varying degrees. Uni did it to an extent with Kong.

Short of that, small gestures like adding New Horizons to a refreshed SSE’s descent would be a nice touch for fans. But I guess Disney wants us to settle for yet another commemorative pin or tee.

Cmdr_Crimson

I’m baffled that WALL·E isn’t used somewhere. Makes me ponder that possibly that storyline hits too close to home with consumerism and the blaming of large corporations for worldly issues…
It's extremely dystopian, which is the opposite of what Epcot (and Tomorrowland) stand for
Which is why this was made instead....it's the same approach and fits better.
29fa66c90a62c032613d871f7fa17687.jpg

DreamfinderGuy

Short of that, small gestures like adding New Horizons to a refreshed SSE’s descent would be a nice touch for fans. But I guess Disney wants us to settle for yet another commemorative pin or tee.
The last time they tried to add a dose of Horizons to Spaceship Earth it ended horrendously, so I think I'm good if they never try again.

Horizonsfan

The last time they tried to add a dose of Horizons to Spaceship Earth it ended horrendously, so I think I'm good if they never try again.
Playing a song is a lot less risky than installing awkward LCDs and jibjab animation, but to each their own.

And by that logic, we should never have a new figment ride…I disagree.

SpectreJordan

A full reimagined Horizons would buy a ton of fan good will. Even one that is more reliant on projection mapping or screens would be a statement of appreciation. It’s bizarre how Disney resists reimagining lost Florida classics. Most regional parks do this to varying degrees. Uni did it to an extent with Kong.

At very least they should remake Figment & do the Great Muppet Movie Ride. Figment is proven to be a timeless part of WDW & I don't think many people would say no to a ride parodying a bunch of movies.
It's extremely dystopian, which is the opposite of what Epcot (and Tomorrowland) stand for
It starts off that way, but it ends with the message of saying that we can improve the world & make it a better place. That's a pretty good message & I think it'd fit EPCOT very well; just have a potential Wall-E ride take place after the movie. Have it be about Wall-E & Eve's efforts to create a clean & bright tomorrow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom