What's next for Epcot 2024 and Beyond

Andrew25

Diet Epcot has to worry WDW. F&G was pretty slow for the last month (surprisingly, even with the AP discounts), and Festival of the Arts was relatively slow the last week or so.

Has WDW reached a limit to events? (SeaWorld/Universal had this problem as well with booths not being too busy/popular most days)

(I bring it up in this thread simply because they Disney has to realize events alone can't prop up the park long-term)

castlecake2.0

Diet Epcot has to worry WDW. F&G was pretty slow for the last month (surprisingly, even with the AP discounts), and Festival of the Arts was relatively slow the last week or so.

Has WDW reached a limit to events? (SeaWorld/Universal had this problem as well with booths not being too busy/popular most days)

(I bring it up in this thread simply because they Disney has to realize events alone can't prop up the park long-term)
It’s just too much now, the world showcase looks like a constant farmers market, stupid little booths everywhere, takes away from the actual pavilions. Canada, Morocco, Germany, Norway, the Outpost, all have shuttered venues that could become “festival shops” if they wanted instead of just adding more clutter to the promenade. I like going to the festivals, but once or twice a festival, we don’t need flower and garden for 4 months. It’s also turning the park into a booze cruise, I won’t even go to the park on weekends now, too many DATW groups being obnoxious.

aladdin2007

It’s just too much now, the world showcase looks like a constant farmers market, stupid little booths everywhere, takes away from the actual pavilions. Canada, Morocco, Germany, Norway, the Outpost, all have shuttered venues that could become “festival shops” if they wanted instead of just adding more clutter to the promenade. I like going to the festivals, but once or twice a festival, we don’t need flower and garden for 4 months. It’s also turning the park into a booze cruise, I won’t even go to the park on weekends now, too many DATW groups being obnoxious.
this is the crowd Disney caters to now. not fans or families,,,,,but the drinking crowds. And there is a lot of problems because of it that there didn't use to be. Look at rave central they are adding to the middle, that's going to be a security joy.

Andrew25

this is the crowd Disney caters to now. not fans or families,,,,,but the drinking crowds. And there is a lot of problems because of it that there didn't use to be. Look at rave central they are adding to the middle, that's going to be a security joy.

I haven't seen or heard of any problems at Epcot. I know there's been a rise in incidents over the past few years, but I don't think it is tied to drinking.

But I do agree that it is unfortunately the crowd they cater to now. It's all about squeezing every nickel out of your pocket.

Bocabear

I am hoping that moving into the future, the Morocco pavilion gets a complete and total rejuvenation adding a new restaurant and a real honest-to-goodness attraction... I hope that the UK pavilion also gets their Mary Poppins attraction and we get a Coco Overlay for the Mexico Pavilion... It is also time to add another country to the showcase... Spain? Brazil? UAE? anything would be great... There are so many possibilities in the park... and it really does need more new rides and less replacements.

Big T 1963

I wish they would have went through the plans for Mary Poppins that would've been a nice addition as well but you know the deal with Disney My bet is Spaceship Earth will be the next big refurb..

James Alucobond

It is also time to add another country to the showcase... Spain? Brazil? UAE? anything would be great... There are so many possibilities in the park... and it really does need more new rides and less replacements.
I'm still into Greece. Really popular cuisine, iconic architecture, and a ready-to-go ride concept that could at least be moderately edutaining by introducing us to the gods of Olympus using character designs from Hercules.

Bocabear

I'm still into Greece. Really popular cuisine, iconic architecture, and a ready-to-go ride concept that could at least be moderately edutaining by introducing us to the gods of Olympus using character designs from Hercules.
You know, I had completely forgotten about Hercules... YES! That would be an interesting addition...and a mountain coaster taking you to Mt Olympus and down into Hades... With a second attraction boat ride intertwined...Around Ancient Greek landmarks and a section on the river styx...

MagicHappens1971

While it would be great, I don’t foresee Disney adding a new country to World Showcase for at least another 10-15 years. Maybe they’ll go ahead with that Poppins expansion in the UK, and maybe they’ll green light something similar for another country. But a whole new pavilion? After they just spent billions ripping up the front half of the park to replace it with astroturf and a building that’s basically the same as what was there before d

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Pavilions only get added if there is a country (unlikely) or a rich conglomerate in that country (more likely) that is a fan of Disney and wants to bankroll a pavilion representing their country and think they can make a profit with restaurants, shops, and maybe a ride (paying Disney to build it) all with Disney's approval.

Such was the case with the almost-Brazil, until the sponsorship pulled out.

Without a sponsor, who knows if Disney will actually take over and re-start Marrakesh.

In the end, it seems Disney has zero-desire to add a national pavilion without someone else paying for it.

MagicHappens1971

In the end, it seems Disney has zero-desire to add a national pavilion without someone else paying for it.
I’d be interested to see how what Disney would build these days with them being the only ones paying for it.

Im imagining a Greece pavilion centered around Hercules, or a Colombia pavilion centered around Encanto.

I think if Disney were to build a brand new country from scratch it would be more to shoehorn an IP into the World Showcase while still being “in theme”.

Animaniac93-98

These events are dependent on food and beverage sales, and its been noted elsewhere that WDW TS restaurants are not as busy as expected.

Food prices have gone up everywhere. People are looking for ways to spend less on food, and that's probably true while on vacation too.

Bocabear

I’d be interested to see how what Disney would build these days with them being the only ones paying for it.

Im imagining a Greece pavilion centered around Hercules, or a Colombia pavilion centered around Encanto.

I think if Disney were to build a brand new country from scratch it would be more to shoehorn an IP into the World Showcase while still being “in theme”.
I am not against them building a Greece pavilion featuring Hercules...now that we already have Frozen Land and Ratatouille.
As long as they bring some beautifully themed architecture and some authentic culture to the pavilion, I am ok with this...
I know initially all the country pavilions were paid for (in part) by the sponsoring countries, but if they are injecting IP into the new pavilions, it is really Disney that is benefitting...so they should be paying for their own park expansion...
Will the Universal Monsters be paying for the new land at Epic Universe? More like the park will pay for the use of the franchise... Not sure how Disney's deal that outside countries pay for the pavilions is useful to even discuss... Italy is not getting a cut of the gate, nor are any of the host countries...So.... Perhaps it is just time for Disney to drop the model of getting someone else to help pay for their parks...

MagicHappens1971

I am not against them building a Greece pavilion featuring Hercules...now that we already have Frozen Land and Ratatouille.
As long as they bring some beautifully themed architecture and some authentic culture to the pavilion, I am ok with this...
I know initially all the country pavilions were paid for (in part) by the sponsoring countries, but if they are injecting IP into the new pavilions, it is really Disney that is benefitting...so they should be paying for their own park expansion...
Will the Universal Monsters be paying for the new land at Epic Universe? More like the park will pay for the use of the franchise... Not sure how Disney's deal that outside countries pay for the pavilions is useful to even discuss... Italy is not getting a cut of the gate, nor are any of the host countries...So.... Perhaps it is just time for Disney to drop the model of getting someone else to help pay for their parks...
I don’t personally have a problem with it either. I just know many will. I also agree that the time where a country is going to “host” a pavilion where Disney racks in billions and they receive little to no benefit. Their model will be to infuse the IP as a “sponsor”, because that’s the only way brand new lands/country’s are getting built these days.

Bocabear

That said, time for Coco in the Mexico pavilion... and start adding new countries and experiences... Greece, Thailand, Korea, Colombia, Brazil...Australia...Lots of possibilities...and let's flesh out what has been built that has no real attraction. UK, Germany, Italy, Morocco, Japan, Canada...

James Alucobond

That said, time for Coco in the Mexico pavilion... and start adding new countries and experiences... Greece, Thailand, Korea, Colombia, Brazil...Australia...Lots of possibilities...and let's flesh out what has been built that has no real attraction. UK, Germany, Italy, Morocco, Japan, Canada...
They need more robust World Showcase attraction offerings and probably a more high-profile simultaneous ride launch before they tackle Coco or else the pavilion will be a mess.

MagicHappens1971

They need more robust World Showcase attraction offerings and probably a more high-profile simultaneous ride launch before they tackle Coco or else the pavilion will be a mess.
Based on the “Blue Sky” “Beyond Big Thunder” plans, and the fact that coco has been rumored for Mexico for years and nothing has happened, I’d assume that Coco will take shape in the MK in the next 3-5 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom