Whatever happened to Bald Mountain?

dave2822

djronnieb said:
I know for a fact that Disney will have a 5th gate open sometime around 2015, plans are well under way. Just haven't been anouced yet. And won't be anouced for another year or so.

Plans well under way?? If it hasn't been announced how do you know so much about it? And what is the theme? If they are going to announce it in a year, there must be a theme in place already. Do tell.

djronnieb said:
But this 5th gate was suposed to open in 2010 but due to the lack of ME and his way of running things it got pushed back like so many other cool ideas that were soooooo close to becoming real.

Really? So you are disregarding his two theme parks, water parks, dozen resorts, and complete expansion of the world in this opinion? And with people speculating on the rushed opening of MGM and timing of AK, you think that this new 5th park would be such a cool idea?

djronnieb said:
Well now that he doesn't have control a lot of these ideas that got turned down will be finnally opening in the next 5-10 years, and the 5th gate will be opening in the next 10-12 years.

Guess what. Eisner does still have control. So if what you are telling us is true (plans already under way, etc) it would have been your boy Eisner in charge of it.

djronnieb said:
And I mean A LOT... you will see at least 4 E-Tickets built in AK in the next 10 years and construction for a major E-Ticket in the MK very soon.

4 e-tickets in 10 years?? Wow, won't we be busy. Do you happen to know the theming of each? TWDC has never built 4 e-tickets within 10 years in one park. And with such focus on AK it would be hard to open this 5th gate. And considering Everest was announced in '03 and won't open till '06, they best get crackin'.

However, a major e-ticket in MK will be built, but not very soon.

Lynx04

Corrus said:
Now that's a whole lot of crap...

The economy went down, 9/11 happened, theme park attendance lowered ...
And that's all the fault of M.E. ??? C'mon...

A fifth park was mostly is the mind of the people outside the WDC...
The people created the big rumor of this 5th park... so don't blame it on people inside the WDC...

Thanks! :D

My statement has nothing to do with 9/11, nor does it put any blame on M.E. or any one else at the WDC. The point of my statement is about how over-saturated Orlando is in themeparks. I agree 150% that the 5th park rumor is nothing more then that us fans imagination and nothing else. It makes good conversation of fiction, not fact.

bferrara16

DisneyFreak529 said:
I love the idea of expanding like every one else does but I live in NY. I would have to take 10 day vacations instead of 7.

From a purely economical perspective, wouldn't that be the point of opening a new park? ...just sayin' :p

PhilosophyMagic

AEfx said:
Let's make a date to meet in 2015 and you can tell me that again. :)

AEfx, who doesn't believe there is a snowballs chance in heck that the Disney company will go almost 20 years without a new park

Disneyland went almost 50 years without a new park...

dave2822

Not to mention they are expanding all around the world here. I mean I'm reading articles talking about how much they plan to expand out of the U.S. in the next decade, I find it hard to believe a whole lot more expansion is coming soon. All of this is speculation.

Plus, TWDC isn't going to go 10 years without building a park. They have one coming in Honk Kong, and who knows where is next, but more overseas parks seems like the goal before U.S. expansion.

djronnieb

if you looked that post I made was a while back. I had bad info when I posed that. Everything in there besides the e-ticket at the MK is now false as far as I can tell.

For the next e-ticket, it will be at the MK in the 20k spot. Followed by a new land at AK. But these things take time as you have pointed out, so it may not be until 2007-2009 that anything happens big at WDW, besides lots of referbs.

tracyandalex

of course i would love to see a new park, but for me i'd must rather see them continue to fix and add to the existing parks. both epcot & AK have plenty of room for additions which i think would bring more people in than adding a new park. adding a new park will increase the cost of everyone's trip and many people have a hard time affording a disney vacation as it is. also, i would not want to go to 4 parks that are becomming old & run down nd then go to a brad new park, i would be kinda depressing.

tracy

Madison

PhilosophyMagic said:
Disneyland went almost 50 years without a new park...

But the company as a whole only waited 16 years before building a new park -- then 11 years, then 2, 6, 3, 6, 3, 4...speaking only about major theme parks, that is.

Enderikari

A little bit of Disney history for you folks here.
There is an old animated feature, goes by the name "The Rescuers." The project idea started with a grain of interest from the man himself, Walt Disney. Walt was originally interested in doing the project, but he rapidly saw holes that would exist in the plot, or he knew he would have to bring a lot of political nonsense into the story to make it work. So, he shelved it.
Flash forward to the 70's. Don Bluth led a team of Disney animators, not quite experienced enough to work on "real pictures," but Bluth wanted to give them a kind of test picture to make. He dusted off the idea of a "Rescuers" movie, and threw it to these young, inexperienced animators, never intending for the movie to actually be made. "The Rescuers" was intended as more of a thought-experiment, to see how this young animation team would work. The movie itself was only produced because the A-team of animators, fresh off of completing "Robin Hood" needed a project to work on and took it over from the newbies.

You see, Fire Mountain, the idea of it, is complete and total internet foolishness. An idea to never see the light of day. Bald Mountain, however, is kind of like one of those thought-experiments, they give it to the young, inexperienced folks, to get their creative juices flowing, get them started in the right direction, then bring them to projects that actually have a chance of being made. Any "proof" that anyone has about these projects being in any sort of pipeline is absolute phooey, propagated by the internet pipe-dreams of such relentlessly inane people, who, when it comes to Disney, know very little. They are the people who are annual passholders, and webmasters of Disney websites, who, it seems HATE Walt Disney World and Disneyland. Now, Steve is a sole exception, but people like Jim Hill, Kevin Yee and the like, make a business out of thinking they know more about a place than the people who live and breathe it, when they, in all seriousness, UNDERSTAND very little. And because they lack that understanding, they are forced into their own little dreamworld that lets them believe they are the ones creating the magic, when nothing else could be further from the truth.

Wow, got a little off-topic there. Anyway, in conclusion,
Fire Mountain = Never alive
Bald Mountain = An excellent tool, never to see the light of day

jedimaster1227

Well, a member of the board of directors at Disney, can't remember which one, but he was just quoted as hinting at mini theme parks across the world, this is not great news for WDW especially because the more parks Disney has to care about, the less time they spend on individual ones, so, WDW could be left in the dust if projects like Great America, Westcot, Texas and others are ever given the greenlight, then it looks like WDW might be a thing of the past and an upper hand might be given to Seaworld, or Universal, especially with Seaworld's new third park (water park) beginning construction in less than 6 months. I think that Disney is losing its care on the preservation of projects already finished to ensure the popularity of the parks, and make sure that the rides and themed areas do not just become another building block on the tower of "Don't Care Anymore, Let's Take The Cheap Way Out Of This Pot-hole."

stitchcastle

Enderikari said:
A little bit of Disney history for you folks here.
There is an old animated feature, goes by the name "The Rescuers." The project idea started with a grain of interest from the man himself, Walt Disney. Walt was originally interested in doing the project, but he rapidly saw holes that would exist in the plot, or he knew he would have to bring a lot of political nonsense into the story to make it work. So, he shelved it.
Flash forward to the 70's. Don Bluth led a team of Disney animators, not quite experienced enough to work on "real pictures," but Bluth wanted to give them a kind of test picture to make. He dusted off the idea of a "Rescuers" movie, and threw it to these young, inexperienced animators, never intending for the movie to actually be made. "The Rescuers" was intended as more of a thought-experiment, to see how this young animation team would work. The movie itself was only produced because the A-team of animators, fresh off of completing "Robin Hood" needed a project to work on and took it over from the newbies.

You see, Fire Mountain, the idea of it, is complete and total internet foolishness. An idea to never see the light of day. Bald Mountain, however, is kind of like one of those thought-experiments, they give it to the young, inexperienced folks, to get their creative juices flowing, get them started in the right direction, then bring them to projects that actually have a chance of being made. Any "proof" that anyone has about these projects being in any sort of pipeline is absolute phooey, propagated by the internet pipe-dreams of such relentlessly inane people, who, when it comes to Disney, know very little. They are the people who are annual passholders, and webmasters of Disney websites, who, it seems HATE Walt Disney World and Disneyland. Now, Steve is a sole exception, but people like Jim Hill, Kevin Yee and the like, make a business out of thinking they know more about a place than the people who live and breathe it, when they, in all seriousness, UNDERSTAND very little. And because they lack that understanding, they are forced into their own little dreamworld that lets them believe they are the ones creating the magic, when nothing else could be further from the truth.

Wow, got a little off-topic there. Anyway, in conclusion,
Fire Mountain = Never alive
Bald Mountain = An excellent tool, never to see the light of day

wow

Hobnail Boot

I personally think the Magic Kingdom NEEDS a new E-ticket. The last one it got was Splash Mountain in 1992, over 10 years ago. In all honesty, I find our Magic Kingdom to be the most stale of the Disneyland-esque parks: it seems less colorful, less theme-oriented, and more lacking in attractions. It suffers from poor planning (Splash Mountain shoved up against Big Thunder Mountain), our Fantasyland is an embarrasment IMO (medieval carnival is cool, but not done very well. FL seems lifeless and boring), theme transitions suck (i.e. Frontierland/Liberty Square, Fantasyland,Tomorrowland), and of the 1995 makeover, only 1/3 of Tomorrowland actually got made over. Don't misinterpret this, I love the Magic Kingdom to death, I just believe that so much potential is being thrown out the window with this park. Bald Mountain and the mini-area in front of it would definately help the Magic Kingdom in the attraction department, however I believe the problems listed above need to be addressed first.

On a side note, I would love to see Florida versions of Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Alice in Wonderland, and The Little Mermaid dark ride. We can always get rid of Pooh...

Enderikari

RCT2 Imagineer said:
I personally think the Magic Kingdom NEEDS a new E-ticket. The last one it got was Splash Mountain in 1992, over 10 years ago. In all honesty, I find our Magic Kingdom to be the most stale of the Disneyland-esque parks: it seems less colorful, less theme-oriented, and more lacking in attractions. It suffers from poor planning (Splash Mountain shoved up against Big Thunder Mountain), our Fantasyland is an embarrasment IMO (medieval carnival is cool, but not done very well. FL seems lifeless and boring), theme transitions suck (i.e. Frontierland/Liberty Square, Fantasyland,Tomorrowland), and of the 1995 makeover, only 1/3 of Tomorrowland actually got made over. Don't misinterpret this, I love the Magic Kingdom to death, I just believe that so much potential is being thrown out the window with this park. Bald Mountain and the mini-area in front of it would definately help the Magic Kingdom in the attraction department, however I believe the problems listed above need to be addressed first.

Hello, busiest theme park in the world.... The Magic Kingdom, as it stands right now, NEEDS nothing, especially not another E-ticket. And, theme transitions? Besides the large open space between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland, each theme transition works, you may not even realize how well it works. Take a look around at each of the transition zones next time, fi you can even find where they are. Think about every little detail and how all the sense, especially sight and sounds, and flora, and fauna all combine to move you from one land to the other.

And Bald Mountain, well, I stand by my previous statement. Not even in the dreams of being in the works

Lynx04

Madison said:
But the company as a whole only waited 16 years before building a new park -- then 11 years, then 2, 6, 3, 6, 3, 4...speaking only about major theme parks, that is.

It is not about adding parks ever 4 or 5 years as much as if there is a market for it. Right now there is not market for another park in orlando. However, there is a large growing market in Asia, which is why they are looking to expand over there.

Hobnail Boot

Hello, busiest theme park in the world.... The Magic Kingdom, as it stands right now, NEEDS nothing, especially not another E-ticket. And, theme transitions? Besides the large open space between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland, each theme transition works, you may not even realize how well it works. Take a look around at each of the transition zones next time, fi you can even find where they are. Think about every little detail and how all the sense, especially sight and sounds, and flora, and fauna all combine to move you from one land to the other.

As I stated in my post, those comments are MY OPINIONS. The bolded statement was uncalled for, and actually quite rude.

I'm not going to start an argument with you, but I will back up my post: Look at Fantasyland/Tomorrowland transition: Enchanted Grove right next to Cosmic Ray's? That's not a great theme transition.Same with Frontierland/Liberty Square. They just slam into each other. Trust me, I analyze the themeing at the parks. I've studied them almost. The fact is that the sounds and flora may be transitional, but the architecture is not.

When I say it needs an new e-ticket, I mean in terms of balancing and increasing it's attraction list. As of right now, our Magic Kingdom has the least number of actual rides than any other MK-style park, regardless of how popular it is. The park needs an increase in people eating attractions, and an e-ticket or two dark rides could do just that.

Enderikari

Not only is there no market for a 5th gate at WDW, there is also no conceivable way to staff it. Disney has reached its saturation point on the number of cast members it can hire, and is still lacking on getting the parks and resorts it has open to full staff. Let's add demand for another 3,000 to 4,000 cast members... Sounds like a great idea to me

Enderikari

RCT2 Imagineer said:
Look at Fantasyland/Tomorrowland transition: Enchanted Grove right next to Cosmic Ray's? Yeah, real great transition there. Same with Frontierland/Liberty Square. They just slam into each other. Trust me, I analyze the themeing at the parks. I've studied them almost. The fact is that the sounds and flora may be transitional, but the architecture is not.

And when I say it needs an new e-ticket, I mean in terms of balancing and increasing it's attraction list. As of right now, our Magic Kingdom has the least number of rides than any other MK-style park, regardless of how popular it is.

Wow. Someone needs to show you the trip across America that the Frontierland and Liberty square represents, but I guess you would already know that if you "studied" the theming. If so, the only Fron/Lib complaint you really could have would be St. Louis being on the wrong side of the Mississippi river. And since the flora and fauna already blend there, i guess the only way to know would be the architecture....? Right...?
I will, however, agree with the Fant/Tomorrowland transition is lacking, what with only the patio and waterfall areas being the true transitional elements.
But, adding an E-ticket to "balance" the park? That doesn't make any sense, WDW builds E-ticket attractions to draw people to that park, plain and simple, the MK is drawing people to the park already. And adding an E-Ticket to increase attractions list? WDW's MK already has more attractions that any other WDW park... The balance is already there, that's why when a new attraction opens at the MK, traditionally another older attraction goes away.

Hobnail Boot

Enderikari said:
Wow. Someone needs to show you the trip across America that the Frontierland and Liberty square represents, but I guess you would already know that if you "studied" the theming. If so, the only Fron/Lib complaint you really could have would be St. Louis being on the wrong side of the Mississippi river. And since the flora and fauna already blend there, i guess the only way to know would be the architecture....? Right...?
I will, however, agree with the Fant/Tomorrowland transition is lacking, what with only the patio and waterfall areas being the true transitional elements.
But, adding an E-ticket to "balance" the park? That doesn't make any sense, WDW builds E-ticket attractions to draw people to that park, plain and simple, the MK is drawing people to the park already. And adding an E-Ticket to increase attractions list? WDW's MK already has more attractions that any other WDW park... The balance is already there, that's why when a new attraction opens at the MK, traditionally another older attraction goes away.

As I said, I'm not going to argue with you. However I will say that you seem to have an attitude problem. As I said: MY OPINION. I welcome good conversation, but when the other converser is constantly sarcastic because he/she is hign on themselves, that's doesn't make for a good discussion.

Enderikari

A: Nice edit to add in the comment about your opinion, which wasn't there before. But even going with that.
B: You attacked the Magic Kingdom. I love the Magic Kingdom, so your attack put me immediately on the defensive. I apologize for any rudeness implied. The comment about transitional zones wasn't an attack on you, its a comment on how the zones are disguised so someone isn't supposed to be like, Main Street... Transitional Zone.... Adventureland. The transitional zones operate in levels of gray and are not intended to be seen by anyone. And I am sorry if it seemed like I was "high on myself" but, before you edited in your comments about it being your opinion, you did present information without basis in fact. I know the transitions in the area; I know the architectural floreshes details that make up the zones. That doesn't make me better than you; in fact, it tends to make me looked down upon in society. Regardless, I accept your opinion that the transitions in the MK don't make sense, however, I disagree very highly with it, out of respect for the Imagineers who put their heart and souls into designing it.

Hobnail Boot

Yeah, sorry. I tend to post before thinking sometimes. That's why I edited. And I wasn't attacking the Magic Kingdom. I love that place to death. Heck I live and breath it. I was merely pointing out some things that I felt needed to be addressed before a major e-ticket was added.

Good to know we're settled now. :) I look foward to more, less heated debates, lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom