Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Add Disney characters

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Add one side for any kind of coaster and keep the other side for kids

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Connor002

Epcot needs to find a focus.
On one hand, we have an Ocean, a Flight over Cali, and a purple dragon on helium. On the other, there's a rocket to Mars, a General Motors commercial, two actors from the 90s in Dinosaurland, and a giant golf ball with a dilapidated ride through time. On a whole other front, a random assortment of countries. The focus is not clear, though, admittedly, that could be consider a problem in the concept. Either way... Epcot needs help...

speck76

Connor002 said:
On one hand, we have an Ocean, a Flight over Cali, and a purple dragon on helium. On the other, there's a rocket to Mars, a General Motors commercial, two actors from the 90s in Dinosaurland, and a giant golf ball with a dilapidated ride through time. On a whole other front, a random assortment of countries. The focus is not clear, though, admittedly, that could be consider a problem in the concept. Either way... Epcot needs help...
I am not so sure focus is needed, as most people anymore are so ADHD....I am not even sure they "get it"

wannab@dis

Connor002 said:
If you don't like me, come out and say it. There's no reason to dance around the subject. I've been noticing your posting style for a while now. At times it seems like you would rather not be here at all. I'm not here to get in a fight. I'm here to say something that should have been said a while ago. If you must, go ahead and get your friends to come in and defend you, but the truth remains.

I'd discuss Epcot, if it were not for another issues I though should be addressed. I doubt you'd be interested in my opinion, though.
While I think Speck76 can be blunt at times and tends to cross the line periodically, I rarely find a reason to disagree with his posts concerning Disney topics. However, I'm not sure anyone can say they have a perfect posting history.

One thing I've noticed that bothers me more is that it appears some people don't want to hear the truth or have someone disagree with them.

wannab@dis

Connor002 said:
Some would argue that EPCOT had focus, but has lost it in current years. I find that point of view interesting since the park has become more popular in recent years. Maybe a defined park focus isn't necessary when each section/pavilion has a focus and theme.

(I personally think the focus is two-fold and is apparent.)

speck76

wannab@dis said:
Some would argue that EPCOT had focus, but has lost it in current years. I find that point of view interesting since the park has become more popular in recent years. Maybe a defined park focus isn't necessary when each section/pavilion has a focus and theme.

the park has become more popular in the last few years, but not nearly as popular as it once was...

perhaps this is more a sign of increased competition....it will never see the crowds of the 80's or early 90's....WDW has 2 more parks now, Universal and IOA have been built also.....

At the same time, the crowds are larger than they were post DAK and post IOA.....so that might have to be the new measurement....

wannab@dis

speck76 said:
the park has become more popular in the last few years, but not nearly as popular as it once was...

perhaps this is more a sign of increased competition....it will never see the crowds of the 80's or early 90's....WDW has 2 more parks now, Universal and IOA have been built also.....

At the same time, the crowds are larger than they were post DAK and post IOA.....so that might have to be the new measurement....
I really need to build a spreadsheet with historical attendance so I don't have to go searching for it everytime a discussion like this comes up. :lol:

It would be interesting to see the percentage of Orlando tourists that visit WDW and also Epcot versus the other parks in town. That may help even out the impact of the new parks, up and downs of travel, etc. I think you're correct that the overall amount of things to do in Orlando has taken a chunk of visitors from Epcot and is probably a bigger impact than the park attractions.

Connor002

wannab@dis said:
The theme may be apparent to Disney-philes as we are, but to the average guest? It's become more of a hodgepodge of attractions. Oceans, Skies, Imaginations, Space, the Past, Life, Humanity, Transportation, Land... without stretching the meaning, it's difficult to find a definition for the set. Of course, one could also argue that the average guest no longer cares, and to that, I have no answer... if that's how things are to go, Disney will have to start catering to that group.

wannab@dis

Connor002 said:
The theme may be apparent to Disney-philes as we are, but to the average guest? It's become more of a hodgepodge of attractions. Oceans, Skies, Imaginations, Space, the Past, Life, Humanity, Transportation, Land... without stretching the meaning, it's difficult to find a definition for the set. Of course, one could also argue that the average guest no longer cares, and to that, I have no answer... if that's how things are to go, Disney will have to start catering to that group.
Would the highlighted list not be the same as it has always been? If so, wouldn't that mean that the park NEVER had a focus?

speck76

Connor002 said:
Did people ever care....I do not know

Perhaps Epcot was a hit from the start because Orlando only had 2 other parks (MK and SeaWorld)....there was a lack of options.....

A funny thing is that they average length of a vacation in Orlando has only grown by just over 1 day in length....over the last 20 years......that being said, while the average guest may have stayed 4 days in 1986 (and visited 3 parks) they are now staying 5 days (and they have 7 parks to choose from). While many more people are coming to Orlando than in 1986, there are other reasons to come to Orlando, and more parks to choose from...

I think this is partly why MK has great attendance every year.....and the gap between what MK gets and what the other parks get grows wider, even if they all grow attendance, because most people do not skip the MK.

I am not really sure where I was going with this.....but I need to make dinner now

Connor002

wannab@dis said:
Would the highlighted list not be the same as it has always been? If so, wouldn't that mean that the park NEVER had a focus?

Essentially... yes...
Of all the parks, I would say that Epcot (or EPCOT, EPCOT Center, E.P.C.O.T, etc.) has the weakest theme.

wannab@dis

Well, MK is THE park that most consider to be the epitome of Disney World. Maybe it's not the people on 5 day trips that impacts the guest counts, but the ones that are there for a short trip of a couple of days or a weekend. Maybe they have to pick and choose and the first day is MK and the other is split among the other parks.

wannab@dis

Connor002 said:
Essentially... yes...
Of all the parks, I would say that Epcot (or EPCOT, EPCOT Center, E.P.C.O.T, etc.) has the weakest theme.
Maybe that's because it has two themes that is part of a loosely qualified focus. The "world's fair" includes showcasing the countries and showing off discoveries/technology. Is that apparent to most? Doubtful. :lol:

Connor002

speck76 said:
Did people ever care....I do not know

Perhaps Epcot was a hit from the start because Orlando only had 2 other parks (MK and SeaWorld)....there was a lack of options.....

A funny thing is that they average length of a vacation in Orlando has only grown by just over 1 day in length....over the last 20 years......that being said, while the average guest may have stayed 4 days in 1986 (and visited 3 parks) they are now staying 5 days (and they have 7 parks to choose from). While many more people are coming to Orlando than in 1986, there are other reasons to come to Orlando, and more parks to choose from...

I think this is partly why MK has great attendance every year.....and the gap between what MK gets and what the other parks get grows wider, even if they all grow attendance, because most people do not skip the MK.

I am not really sure where I was going with this.....but I need to make dinner now

From these facts... it would seem WDW grew more quickly than demand... Perhaps the theme park market has been diluted...

On a side note, I am more and more understanding Iger's approach of overseas expansion rather than on homeland shores...

Connor002

wannab@dis said:
Maybe that's because it has two themes that is part of a loosely qualified focus. The "world's fair" includes showcasing the countries and showing off discoveries/technology. Is that apparent to most? Doubtful. :lol:

I always saw it as a sampling of exotic women...

:lookaroun

Er... I mean... a showcase of ethnic differences, but the ability to come together in harmony.

wannab@dis

Connor002 said:
I always saw it as a sampling of exotic women...

:lookaroun

Er... I mean... a showcase of ethnic differences, but the ability to come together in harmony.
:lol:

Lemme guess... Norway was the most "harmonious" to you. :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom