What will Disney announce for Disney World at the 2022 D23 expo?

Jrb1979

1. 40 inch height requirement and you have to be able to comfortably wear 3D glasses
2. 40 inch height requirement and you have to be able to comfortably wear 3D glasses
3. 40 inch height requirement
4. 34 inch height requirement and I'd still call it a kiddie ride

I'll concede that those are "family rides" but they're absolutely not "rides for the whole family."
I look at that Disney has that market cornered so there is no sense appealing to that crowd.

wdwfan4ver

IOA is great (definitely preferable to UO in terms of theming, at least for me) but lacks the timelessness of MK. Port of Entry, Lost Continent, Hogwarts/Hogsmeade and Jurassic Park are all beautifully themed and will stand the test of time, but I cringe a bit every time I walk through Seuss Landing and Toon Lagoon. Even Marvel Superhero Island is showing its age imo. Universal has been adding a lot of truly fantastic areas & attractions, but I think it's about time they start revisiting and retheming existing areas that no longer work.
Retheming Marvel Superhero Island into something else is a big no. Universal does not want to give up the theme park rights to Marvel. That contract doesn't allow Disney to use Marvel IPS that Universal is using east of the Mississippi River. That means Disney can't use The Avengers, X-Men, Spider-Man, and Fantastic Four for WDW.

Universal is looking at there is too much money making off money for Universal to give up those rights.

Also be happy that Universal has the rights to Marvel in Orlando based on Disney is using the IP for Avengers Campus in Walt Disney Studios Park. People have said that Spider-man ride at Universal is way better than what Disney has for Avengers Campus. People also have said that about the Spider-man ride at DCA and at at Walt Disney Studios Park.

Avengers Assemble: Flight Force replaced Rock'n Roller Coaster at Walt Disney Studios Park, but the ride by a lot of people is worse than Rock'n Roller Coaster despite using the same tracks. Bob Chapek and Josh D’Amaro are not happy with the finish product of Avengers Assemble: Flight Force and there are rumors that the attraction will be down for refurbishment in early 2023. Here are 2 websites with the rumor: https:///2022/08/disney-ride-closing-rumor-ld1/
https://airmagique.net/2022/07/25/r...ment date has,blame on an insufficient budget.

What happened there was People who worked the reimagineering of Rock'n Roller Coaster to Avengers Assemble: Flight Force complained that the current state of the ride is due to their lack of budget. That means Disney Management screwed up the ride and they are forced to do something about it.

What I mentioned about Avengers Assemble: Flight Force quality could've easily happened at WDW if it wasn't for that contract. Be happy Disney got Cosmic rewind instead of Chapek wanting retheme DHS rides Avenger themed rides or make Tomorrowland into a Marvel Land.

bhg469

While Universal lacks in theming in some areas, they do a good job in balancing thrills and rides the whole family can ride. The only unfortunate thing is how many Disney fans won't give them a chance due not liking a lot of the IP. Whatever happened to enjoying a ride regardless of IP. Forbidden Journey is on the level of a Disney attraction. I'm not into Potter at all but still loved the attraction.
I'm in complete agreement. IMO Hagrids is the best ride in Orlando by far. Guardians and Mummy are close to my next favorites
Then why are you in here scolding people for not going to Universal more?
There are plenty of people on this site without young children that won't set foot in a universal park for any other reason than it not being Disney.

bhg469

I just don't understand why that's weird to anyone. If I like football and don't like hockey, why would anyone expect me to spend $4,000 on hockey tickets?
They're not an apples to oranges comparison.. I would use a comparison of owning both an iPhone for work and a pixel for my personal phone but even that is too different...

It's more like red delicious to honey crisp.. universal studios is not highly themed with the exception of Diagon alley but islands is, and epic Universe is most certainly going to be.. yes, there rides lean towards the thrill category but I'm a damn chicken and won't go on anything with a drop so splash mountain and tower of terror are out for me yet I love mummy and Hagrids..

Bourne is the most incredible live show I have ever seen... If the main street theater project is indeed back on the table, I would expect Disney to use that as their example of what a live show can be..

we're lucky that they're all some of the best theme parks in the world and have amazing attractions at both resorts. They're only a few miles away from each other.. I wouldnt call it weird to avoid one over the other but I would say it's sad..

UNCgolf

They're not an apples to oranges comparison.. I would use a comparison of owning both an iPhone for work and a pixel for my personal phone but even that is too different...

It's more like red delicious to honey crisp.. universal studios is not highly themed with the exception of Diagon alley but islands is, and epic Universe is most certainly going to be.. yes, there rides lean towards the thrill category but I'm a damn chicken and won't go on anything with a drop so splash mountain and tower of terror are out for me yet I love mummy and Hagrids..

Bourne is the most incredible live show I have ever seen... If the main street theater project is indeed back on the table, I would expect Disney to use that as their example of what a live show can be..

we're lucky that they're all some of the best theme parks in the world and have amazing attractions at both resorts. They're only a few miles away from each other.. I wouldnt call it weird to avoid one over the other but I would say it's sad..

The problem with Universal for me is that there's just not much there I enjoy. Diagon Alley is incredible, Hogsmeade is solid, and I enjoy the JP area, but I like very few attractions they offer.

The only rides currently at Universal that I really love are Revenge of the Mummy, Jurassic Park River Adventure, and E.T. I have not been on Hagrid's, Gringott's or Spiderman, so that could potentially bump it up to 6, but that's still not really enough to make it worth visiting. There's nothing else there I really care about from an attraction standpoint -- I actually hated Forbidden Journey. It was the most uncomfortable ride I've ever been on and I wasn't really impressed by it regardless; far too much of the ride was a relatively boring broom flight video.

I would be more likely to go back if they still offered the attraction lineup from the late 1990s at USO -- I think they were significantly better than the attractions that are there now.

bhg469

The problem with Universal for me is that there's just not much there I enjoy. Diagon Alley is incredible, Hogsmeade is solid, and I enjoy the JP area, but I like very few attractions they offer.

The only rides currently at Universal that I really love are Revenge of the Mummy, Jurassic Park River Adventure, and E.T. I have not been on Hagrid's, Gringott's or Spiderman, so that could potentially bump it up to 6, but that's still not really enough to make it worth visiting. There's nothing else there I really care about from an attraction standpoint -- I actually hated Forbidden Journey. It was the most uncomfortable ride I've ever been on and I wasn't really impressed by it regardless; far too much of the ride was a relatively boring broom flight video.

I would be more likely to go back if they still offered the attraction lineup from the late 1990s at USO -- I think they were significantly better than the attractions that are there now.
Hagrids is hands down my favorite ride I've ever been on. It's so much fun from start to finish.

Amidala

Retheming Marvel Superhero Island into something else is a big no. Universal does not want to give up the theme park rights to Marvel. That contract doesn't allow Disney to use Marvel IPS that Universal is using east of the Mississippi River. That means Disney can't use The Avengers, X-Men, Spider-Man, and Fantastic Four for WDW.

Universal is looking at there is too much money making off money for Universal to give up those rights.

Also be happy that Universal has the rights to Marvel in Orlando based on Disney is using the IP for Avengers Campus in Walt Disney Studios Park. People have said that Spider-man ride at Universal is way better than what Disney has for Avengers Campus. People also have said that about the Spider-man ride at DCA and at at Walt Disney Studios Park.

Avengers Assemble: Flight Force replaced Rock'n Roller Coaster at Walt Disney Studios Park, but the ride by a lot of people is worse than Rock'n Roller Coaster despite using the same tracks. Bob Chapek and Josh D’Amaro are not happy with the finish product of Avengers Assemble: Flight Force and there are rumors that the attraction will be down for refurbishment in early 2023. Here are 2 websites with the rumor: https:///2022/08/disney-ride-closing-rumor-ld1/
https://airmagique.net/2022/07/25/rumor-disneyland-paris-to-close-new-avengers-flight-force-roller-coaster-for-plussing-refurbishment/#:~:text=While no refurbishment date has,blame on an insufficient budget.

What happened there was People who worked the reimagineering of Rock'n Roller Coaster to Avengers Assemble: Flight Force complained that the current state of the ride is due to their lack of budget. That means Disney Management screwed up the ride and they are forced to do something about it.

What I mentioned about Avengers Assemble: Flight Force quality could've easily happened at WDW if it wasn't for that contract. Be happy Disney got Cosmic rewind instead of Chapek wanting retheme DHS rides Avenger themed rides or make Tomorrowland into a Marvel Land.
I said it looks dated, not that they should remove Marvel from the parks entirely. Spider-Man is obviously one of the best attractions in Orlando, and the Hulk is wildly popular as well. I’m aware of the contract, but I don’t see this as an excuse to leave this area untouched in the next few decades. The need to update Marvel Superhero Island theming isn’t as dire as, say, Toon Lagoon, but it could certainly use a significant refresh. Oversized cardboard cutouts don’t elevate the theming of this area for me, ymmv.

RE: Disney I’m not a fan of Avengers Campus & you won’t find me comparing it favorably to Marvel Superhero Island. MSI has the superior ride lineup but it’s still an eyesore imo and again, “Disney’s Marvel-themed land is lackluster” is ALSO not an excuse for Universal to let it rot untouched for the foreseeable future.

But on that note, I have no issue with the ToT to Mission Breakout retheme & was never especially concerned about the same overlay coming to DHS, since WDW has the blessing of size DLR lacks. Love Cosmic Rewind but as others have said, it doesn’t belong in Epcot, so this isn’t a 100% win in my book either.

Last edited:

Amidala

Dr. Seuss widow would disagree with you about it's execution. Also the Cat in the Hat Ride would to have a small thrill element where it spun frequently that was later removed.

She’s free to do so lol And my issues with that attraction have more to do with the theming than the motion of the ride vehicle so I don’t think the inclusion of that ride element would do much to change my mind. I still think that area is badly in need of a refresh, more so than anywhere else in the park w/ the exception of Toon Lagoon.

Patcheslee

This thread about what will be announced at D23 for WDW has turned into a Universal discussion.

It's OK, they probably won't be any significant WDW announcements, just things like:
"We will try to complete Moana before the end of 2023
"We will try to complete TRON by fall 2023"
"We will try to reopen the WDW RR as soon as we get around to it"
I don't expect much in new plans with so much still pending. Possibly opening dates for Roundup Rodeo BBQ and Fantasmic. Those are both supposedly coming this year. And really the lack of an update would have me assumed they are delaying.

BlakeW39

Lol, probably nothing, or at least nothing compared to what anyone here would want.

Tbh, I'm glad they have nothing on the docket, they'd just screw it up anyways. I will cherish DAK until the Bobs grow the spine necessary to ruin it like they did EPCOT.

Hope EU beats them to a pulp.

Truth be told though, the park that needs new stuff the most is MK. Another E in Fantasy and Adventureland would be a very good way to counter the immense crowds that the park will always generate.

michmousefan

It's kind of surprising to me how this show kinda flies under the radar. The combo of the live elements and that insanely impressive screen is unlike anything I've ever seen before...

CaptainAmerica

Another E in Fantasy and Adventureland would be a very good way to counter the immense crowds that the park will always generate.
Or attract immense-er crowds and make the problem even worse.

But yeah I'm very bummed that Journey of Water likely means that my dream of a Moana E in Adventureland ain't happening.

CaptainAmerica

It's kind of surprising to me how this show kinda flies under the radar. The combo of the live elements and that insanely impressive screen is unlike anything I've ever seen before...
Because the IP sucks. Universal needs either better IP or something without any IP at all. Fallon, F&F, and Bourne should not be franchises anchoring major theme park attractions.

bhg469

Because the IP sucks. Universal needs either better IP or something without any IP at all. Fallon, F&F, and Bourne should not be franchises anchoring major theme park attractions.
The Bourne stunt show is hardly an anchor.. it was reusing a space and it happens to be a major improvement.

Why must the IP be successful in order for it to be good or bad? All people need to do is experience it to understand it's an amazing show. Avatar is a flaming bag of dung of a movie, but Pandora is pretty awe inspiring.

Potter IMO is for introvert dorks but diagon alley is really really good..

CaptainAmerica

The Bourne stunt show is hardly an anchor.. it was reusing a space and it happens to be a major improvement.

Why must the IP be successful in order for it to be good or bad? All people need to do is experience it to understand it's an amazing show. Avatar is a flaming bag of dung of a movie, but Pandora is pretty awe inspiring.

Potter IMO is for introvert dorks but diagon alley is really really good..
I'm not saying the attraction sucks because the IP sucks. I'm saying the attraction isn't a DRAW because the IP sucks.

Andrew25

Yeah, sucks it opened during Covid and never got the proper marketing for it.

At the moment, it's better than Indy since they've taken a lot of the great elements away from that show unfortunately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom