What will Disney announce for Disney World at the 2022 D23 expo?

SplashJacket

Again, armchair imagineering concept here but something I suggested on our show: Shang Chi / Ta Lo attraction in the bamboo foothills of Everest and that area being re-districted to a Beastly Waterfront area.
A Shang-Chi Ta Lo land would work perfectly! In Hollywood Studios.

This is the common response to every IP ever suggested for Animal Kingdom, but I don't mean it in the same way.

Hollywood Studio's hub is sorely lacking, but the Chinese theater facade is as beautiful as ever. I'd suggest demoing the entire Animation Courtyard and One Man's Dream building to build out an entire China town/Doctor Strange/Ta Lo land. The transition between the Chinese theater into this land does not require an explanation, but the themed facade could be expanded by adding a sit-down restaurant abut to the existing facade that has projectable surfaces fit for a hub show.

1650849149132.png
1650849304018.png

This initial vibrant, red-dominated, and strung lantern-filled area would transition into Toy Story Land, whose vibrant, red-dominated, and lantern-filled area would provide a much smoother transition than currently exists between it and Galaxy's Edge.

Further, into the land, you transition away from the concrete Chinese architecture to the whimsical but eastern Asian-inspired architecture of Ta Lo.

1650848935635.png

The color scheme and general aesthetic of Doctor Strange strongly resemble Shang-Chi, as exemplified by the color and geometry of their suits and powers. Doctor Strange and Shang-Chi cross paths in the end credits of the latter's origin story, suggesting a future collaboration between the two characters.

1650849446768.png
1650849450747.png

Additionally, Doctor Strange's Kamar-Taj was filmed on location in Nepal, establishing a precedent for Doctor Strange's visitations to Asia (I'm aware Ta Lo resides in an alternate realm).

1650849659270.png

In Doctor Strange, there are Sanctums in New York, London, and Hong Kong, so a Doctor Strange attraction could easily originate in Shang-Chi's Ta-Lo and then transport guests to one of his Sanctums. Imagine getting to walk through it during a queue and then board a wonderful adventure.

1650849806289.png
1650849853258.png

The new land could easily flow into a new Sunset Boulevard connection as in the unromanticized Los Angelos, a Chinatown actually does exist.

Doctor Strange and Shang-Chi are easily two of my favorite Marvel IPs. Their aesthetics are absolutely beautiful, and Shang-Chi's Ta Lo provides one of the more grounded locations in any of Marvel's films, lending better to a theme park attraction than other franchises. Also, Shang-Chi's score by Joel P West contends as an all-time great (personal opinion, but if you haven't listened to it, I highly recommend giving it a listen, especially "Xu Shang Chi," "Your Mother," "Your Father," and "Ancestors") so by grounding a land in its world, its music can be most heavily featured.

I know this will never come to fruition, but if I had free reign to spark a single project, this, above all else, would be it.

Last edited:

imagineer97

In the Parks
No

This is the common response to every IP ever suggested for Animal Kingdom, but I don't mean it in the same way.

Hollywood Studio's hub is sorely lacking, but the Chinese theater facade is as beautiful as ever. I'd suggest demoing the entire Animation Courtyard and One Man's Dream building to build out an entire China town/Doctor Strange/Ta Lo land. The transition between the Chinese theater into this land does not require an explanation, but the themed facade could be expanded by adding a sit-down restaurant abut to the existing facade that has projectable surfaces fit for a hub show.

View attachment 635154View attachment 635155

This initial vibrant, red-dominated, and strung lantern-filled area would tranistion into Toy Story Land, whose vibrant, red-dominated, and lantern-filled area would provide a much smoother transition than currently exists between it and Galaxy's Edge.

Further, into the land, you transition away from the concrete Chinese architecture to the whimiscal but eastern Asian inspired architecture of Ta Lo.

View attachment 635153

The color scheme and general aesthetic of Doctor Strange strongly resembles Shang-Chi, as exemplified by the color and geometry of their suits and powers. Doctor Strange and Shang-Chi cross paths in the end credits of latter's origin story, suggesting future collaboration between the two characters.

View attachment 635157View attachment 635158

Additionally, Doctor Strange's Kamar-Taj was filmed on location in Nepal, establishing a precedent for Doctor Strange's visitations to Asia (I'm aware Ta Lo resides in an alternate realm).

View attachment 635159

In Doctor Strange, there are Sanctums in New York, London, and Hong Kong, so a Doctor Strange attraction could easily originate in Shang-Chi's Ta-Lo and then transport guests to one of his Sanctums. Imagine getting to walk through it during a queue then to board a wonderful adventure.

View attachment 635160View attachment 635161

The new land could easily flow into a new Sunset Boulevard connection as in the unromanicized Los Angelos, a Chinatown actually does exist.

Doctor Strange and Shang-Chi are easily two of my favorite Marvel IPs. Their aesthetics are absolutely beautiful, and Shang-Chi's Ta Lo provides one of the more grounded locations in any of Marvel's films, lending better to a theme park attraction than other franchises. Also, Shang-Chi's score by Joel P West contends as an all-time great (personal opinion, but if you haven't listened to it, I highly reccomend giving it a listen, especially "Xu Shang Chi"), so by grounding a land in its world, its music can be most heavily featured.

I know this will never come to fruition, but if I had free reigns to spark a single project, this, above all else, would be it.
This is cool, but do they have the rights to Dr. Strange in Florida?

Magenta Panther

EFF more Marvel in the parks! Or Star Wars, for that matter.

Where's the Poppins ride? Or the Lion King/Jungle Book dark rides? Or an attraction based on the Disney Villains? THAT'S what would interest me. That is, if I ever decide to go to a Disney park again...

SplashJacket

This is cool, but do they have the rights to Dr. Strange in Florida?
I am fairly certain, yes, but, I am not 100% certain.

Which is also why it would work so well. Barring Black Panther, the land would provide the MCU's most popular non-Avenger IPs a residency with Guardians already having its spot in Epcot. Orlando will never be able to have an MCU in its totality land like California's Avenger's Campus, so making a full land becomes more difficult. To me, these two IPs are a match made in heaven. With Galaxy's Edge slated to open in 2019, this land should've been slated to open this year (without factoring in Covid delays) following the release of Doctor Strange 2.

MagicHappens1971

Interesting point. Yet Rowling owns the characters. I wonder if Cameron doesn’t simply because they were never novels. Would make sense.
Yea I think it’s an interesting arrangement. Like you said the Potter stories are books, and we’re written by Rowling. She sold the film rights to be adapted and then sold the theme park rights. Cameron may have more control than we know about it, but now that the franchise is under the Disney umbrella I can’t imagine much would stop them from building whatever they want.

SCOTLORR

This initial vibrant, red-dominated, and strung lantern-filled area would tranistion into Toy Story Land, whose vibrant, red-dominated, and lantern-filled area would provide a much smoother transition than currently exists between it and Galaxy's Edge.

Further, into the land, you transition away from the concrete Chinese architecture to the whimiscal but eastern Asian inspired architecture of Ta Lo.

View attachment 635153

The color scheme and general aesthetic of Doctor Strange strongly resembles Shang-Chi, as exemplified by the color and geometry of their suits and powers. Doctor Strange and Shang-Chi cross paths in the end credits of latter's origin story, suggesting future collaboration between the two characters.

View attachment 635159

In Doctor Strange, there are Sanctums in New York, London, and Hong Kong, so a Doctor Strange attraction could easily originate in Shang-Chi's Ta-Lo and then transport guests to one of his Sanctums. Imagine getting to walk through it during a queue then to board a wonderful adventure.

The new land could easily flow into a new Sunset Boulevard connection as in the unromanicized Los Angelos, a Chinatown actually does exist.

Doctor Strange and Shang-Chi are easily two of my favorite Marvel IPs. Their aesthetics are absolutely beautiful, and Shang-Chi's Ta Lo provides one of the more grounded locations in any of Marvel's films, lending better to a theme park attraction than other franchises. Also, Shang-Chi's score by Joel P West contends as an all-time great (personal opinion, but if you haven't listened to it, I highly reccomend giving it a listen, especially "Xu Shang Chi"), so by grounding a land in its world, its music can be most heavily featured.

I know this will never come to fruition, but if I had free reigns to spark a single project, this, above all else, would be it.
I love the Shang Chi idea, I think it'd be an awesome fit in DHS. I just hope shang-chi is popular enough for a themed land like this.

If they do go with a marvel IP that they have the rights to I think a land dedicated to just Dr Strange is more likely. Maybe animation courtyard gets re-themed to Kamar-Taj. Dr Strange is a very recognizable name at this point, probably same level as the Guardians. Kamar-Taj is a beautiful landscape that could lend itself well to a theme park land.
1650854221651.png

SplashJacket

I love the Shang Chi idea, I think it'd be an awesome fit in DHS. I just hope shang-chi is popular enough for a themed land like this.

If they do go with a marvel IP that they have the rights to I think a land dedicated to just Dr Strange is more likely. Maybe animation courtyard gets re-themed to Kamar-Taj. Dr Strange is a very recognizable name at this point, probably same level as the Guardians. Kamar-Taj is a beautiful landscape that could lend itself well to a theme park land.
View attachment 635178
That could also work very well. I just prefer the world-building of Shang-Chi and its creatures. You can merchandise Ta Lo and its animals substantially easier than Kamar-Taj. You could easily do what I mentioned with Shang-Chi except for the inverse where you start with Doctor Strange and then teleport to Ta Lo in an attraction. Both could absolutely work, I just think Ta Lo, and everything that comes with it (music, animals, etc.) lends itself better to a theme park.

JoeCamel

This initial vibrant, red-dominated, and strung lantern-filled area would transition into Toy Story Land, whose vibrant, red-dominated, and lantern-filled area would provide a much smoother transition than currently exists between it and Galaxy's Edge.

Further, into the land, you transition away from the concrete Chinese architecture to the whimsical but eastern Asian-inspired architecture of Ta Lo.

View attachment 635153

The color scheme and general aesthetic of Doctor Strange strongly resemble Shang-Chi, as exemplified by the color and geometry of their suits and powers. Doctor Strange and Shang-Chi cross paths in the end credits of the latter's origin story, suggesting a future collaboration between the two characters.

View attachment 635159

In Doctor Strange, there are Sanctums in New York, London, and Hong Kong, so a Doctor Strange attraction could easily originate in Shang-Chi's Ta-Lo and then transport guests to one of his Sanctums. Imagine getting to walk through it during a queue and then board a wonderful adventure.

The new land could easily flow into a new Sunset Boulevard connection as in the unromanticized Los Angelos, a Chinatown actually does exist.

Doctor Strange and Shang-Chi are easily two of my favorite Marvel IPs. Their aesthetics are absolutely beautiful, and Shang-Chi's Ta Lo provides one of the more grounded locations in any of Marvel's films, lending better to a theme park attraction than other franchises. Also, Shang-Chi's score by Joel P West contends as an all-time great (personal opinion, but if you haven't listened to it, I highly recommend giving it a listen, especially "Xu Shang Chi," "Your Mother," "Your Father," and "Ancestors") so by grounding a land in its world, its music can be most heavily featured.

I know this will never come to fruition, but if I had free reign to spark a single project, this, above all else, would be it.

View attachment 635178

That could also work very well. I just prefer the world-building of Shang-Chi and its creatures. You can merchandise Ta Lo and its animals substantially easier than Kamar-Taj. You could easily do what I mentioned with Shang-Chi except for the inverse where you start with Doctor Strange and then teleport to Ta Lo in an attraction. Both could absolutely work, I just think Ta Lo, and everything that comes with it (music, animals, etc.) lends itself better to a theme park.

Y'all ever go to Splendid China?
Yeah, me neither

Jphaddad96

My Wishlist, I think Animal Kingdom it will be the main foccus of this event:

Animal Kingdom
- Replacement of Dinoland (Maybe Dinosaur dark ride stays?)
- New Nighttime show announcement
- New dark ride in Africa
- What do u think of replacing It's Tough to be a bug! with some new show of Encanto?

Magic Kingdom
- Beauty & the Beast dark ride from Tokyo to Orlando
- New details at the Princess and the frog ride
- New Nighttime show announcement in replace of Enchantment

Hollywood Studios
- I don't think Disney will make a major announcement for this park in this D23 event... maybe something little

Epcot
- New details of Play Pavilion and the other things that Disney says it will built in the next few years (hope mary poppins too)
- Brazil pavilion announcement

View attachment 635153

View attachment 635159

I like this a lot, it fits with the thematic of HS.

MJL92

I'm going to choose to be optimistic until we hit September and nothing is announced. With so many expensive projects finishing up, it feels like there's some room for some new projects to break ground.

Things I'm hopeful for:
Timelines/Updates for existing/Delayed projects (Tron, Moana, World Celebration, Spaceship Earth, Mary Poppins)
Entertainment upgrades (Parades, Fantasmic, Night Time AK Show)
At least 2 big new exciting announcement

My Wishlist:
1 New Attraction in MK (Adventureland? Stitch replacement? BatB in Fantasyland?)
1 New Attraction for Epcot (Coco overlay in Mexico? Journey Revamp? Another World Showcase attraction?)
New Land for Animal Kingdom (I like the Marine Life Institute. AK could use an Ocean themed conservation land)

Things I want but won't happen (YET):
With Tron's opening, Please retrack Space Mountain. Curious if there's enough room in there to change the cars to the DL version. Double capacity??
Bulldoze Animation Courtyard and finally connect the park around all the way to Sunset Boulevard. Pixar themed land, ties in to Toy Story, and can move the Laugh Floor over from MK.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Let's use some visual context for what to expect at D23.

Take all expectations - Think of those as a mature redwood tree
What you should expect to get from D23 - A toothpick made from that redwood tree

Now you won't be disappointed when they produce a few 2x4's from that redwood tree. "It's better than a toothpick!"

RSoxNo1

I'm of the opinion that Ta Lo / mythical animals vibe from that particular scene fits incredible well at DAK. DHS is the park where the stretch from RnRC to One Man's Dream could be literally anything and I'd rather they devote that to something that doesn't have as clean a fit elsewhere.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I'm of the opinion that Ta La / mythical animals vibe from that particular scene fits incredible well at DAK. DHS is the park where the stretch from RnRC to One Man's Dream could be literally anything and I'd rather they devote that to something that doesn't have as clean a fit elsewhere.

I think if they actually built something that focused entirely on mythical animals it would be a solid fit -- I just have a hard time believing they wouldn't take the opportunity to turn it into something that focused on Shang-Chi (and probably Doctor Strange too), and potentially open the door for further Marvel entries.

RSoxNo1

I think if they actually built something that focused entirely on mythical animals it would be a solid fit -- I just have a hard time believing they wouldn't take the opportunity to turn it into something that focused on Shang-Chi (and probably Doctor Strange too), and potentially open the door for further Marvel entries.
I think the move for Florida is to spread out the entities that they can use and put them where they're most appropriate. DHS is the default answer, but it doesn't have to be if the story treatments work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom