What was the big deal w/ the 20K Leagues Under the Sea ride?

Monsterfan99

I got to ride 20k 2-3 times in the early 90's as a kid. I still remember most of the ride and loved it. The simple fact I was underwater was amazing at that age.

And thanks to the people who have posted links to various 20k things. I always love seeing info about past attractions.

janoimagine

Marni please don't think I'm trying to be rude or argue with you, but based on what I'm hearing and from what I've read, it doesn't sound anything like any of those 3 rides in any way, in fact just the opposite, and not state of the art even for it's time.

But honestly, I don't remember anything about it so I can't base anything on personal experience.

Maybe the website posted above by figmentfanatic will help, I'll be checking it out when I get home tonight.

Good discussion so far, thanks all for your responses. I enjoy hearing about the older rides from those who remember them!

I wasn't a very high capacity ride for one, yes as M has indicated it was a bit lame. But I loved it anyways. I think why I liked it so much was because of the Nautilus. One of Harper Goff, the legendary imagineer's best designs, his version of Nemo's sub was incredible and I dont believe will ever be topped. I loved the Disney film 20K, and James Mason is one of my favorite actors from that era.

I guess all these reasons were why I was such a fan of the ride, and as Sir Goofy said, seeing the subs in the lagoon making their rounds was a thing of beauty in and of itself, especially at dusk. It may have seemed boring to some, but it was exceptionally well done for the time, they spared no expense. It was unfortunate that Disney removed it, had they brought it up to speed with todays tech it could have been stellar. However, from what I am told, maintaining the ride was a nightmare both physically and financially, and this is all that remains as tribute to the ride:
3574793822_79e0912757.jpg

A 6" knot above the inside of the door to Pooh's hut.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I wasn't a very high capacity ride for one, yes as M has indicated it was a bit lame. But I loved it anyways. I think why I liked it so much was because of the Nautilus. One of Harper Goff, the legendary imagineer's best designs, his version of Nemo's sub was incredible and I dont believe will ever be topped. I loved the Disney film 20K, and James Mason is one of my favorite actors from that era.
We watched the movie a couple of nights ago with our 5 and 10 year old. Both of them really enjoyed it. I told them about how I got to ride in the Nautilus when I was a kid. They asked where was it now. I told them it was under the tree in Pooh playground.:ROFLOL:

Buried20KLeague

One is submerged at Castaway Cay and you get to see it when you go on a Disney Cruise. I believe one was sold, and the others were burried....

That's not accurate... Anymore.

The one they had at Castaway isn't there anymore. Don't know when they took it away or why, but it's gone. There used to be one there in the sand for kids to climb on too, but that one is gone as well.

Of course, there's one in Tokyo and Paris... But they're not from the original fleet.

Other than that, there's part of one backstage at Epcot that is used for special events from time to time.

TONS of info on where the subs are buried (including pics) and what happened to the rest of them are detailed at www.20kride.com ... That's a GREAT site, tons of fun and a good read. There's even a picture of the sunk one at Castaway, along with the pair docked near the cruise ship. It doesn't get much cooler than that.

And the first hand account on that website of swimming over the top of the sub was mine. :D

Here's a link to the page with pics of everything after the ride closed... Including the pics I described earlier. My account of swimming over the top of the sub is right under the pic.

http://20kride.com/photos_after.html

EDIT TO ADD: If you scroll down on the link above, there are some AWESOME pics from inside the show building with the water drained!!!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
That's not accurate... Anymore.

The one they had at Castaway isn't there anymore. Don't know when they took it away or why, but it's gone. There used to be one there in the sand for kids to climb on too, but that one is gone as well.

Of course, there's one in Tokyo and Paris... But they're not from the original fleet.

Other than that, there's part of one backstage at Epcot that is used for special events from time to time.

TONS of info on where the subs are buried (including pics) and what happened to the rest of them are detailed at www.20kride.com ... That's a GREAT site, tons of fun and a good read. There's even a picture of the sunk one at Castaway, along with the pair docked near the cruise ship. It doesn't get much cooler than that.

And the first hand account on that website of swimming over the top of the sub was mine. :D

Here's a link to the page with pics of everything after the ride closed... Including the pics I described earlier. My account of swimming over the top of the sub is right under the pic.

http://20kride.com/photos_after.html

Im guessing that the one at Castaway could have very well rusted away....

EPCOT Explorer

I guess all these reasons were why I was such a fan of the ride, and as Sir Goofy said, seeing the subs in the lagoon making their rounds was a thing of beauty in and of itself, especially at dusk. It may have seemed boring to some, but it was exceptionally well done for the time, they spared no expense. It was unfortunate that Disney removed it, had they brought it up to speed with todays tech it could have been stellar. However, from what I am told, maintaining the ride was a nightmare both physically and financially, and this is all that remains as tribute to the ride:
3574793822_79e0912757.jpg

A 6" knot above the inside of the door to Pooh's hut.

I have never seen that. Next trip....So finding that.:D:eek:

kstella

I hated it! I'm not sure the playground that replaced it was a vast improvement, but I'm sure the parents whose kids play on it enjoy it!

justdru

This ride was one of the only things I remember from Disney as a very young child! For years I had this memory that I had been in a submarine. Finally, one day, I asked my mom when the hell we had went on one!

She laughed and told me about the ride. I felt like a nerd for believing for over 15 years that I had been in a navy submarine or something as a child.

Here's a link if anyone is interested: http://www.pansophist.com/twntyk.htm

janoimagine

I don't think fiberglass rusts... :lookaroun

:lol:

Are you sure they were fiberglass? I thought the exterior's were steel. Because you had to walk on the upper hull for a bit when loading. I've searched for the answer to this on the web but have turned up a big zero on the material's.

EPCOT Explorer

Are you sure they were fiberglass? I thought the exterior's were steel. Because you had to walk on the upper hull for a bit when loading. I've searched for the answer to this on the web but have turned up a big zero on the material's.

Calling Mr. Smith, Mr. Martin Smith to the thread...:lol:

janoimagine

Thanks for posting that link, I had no idea that age was updated! What fascinating pictures and how sad to see such amazing work destroyed and rewarded with cool looking t-shirts.

I know, one piece of hope ... if you have the scratch to buy one, is that they are doing a 4' collectible replica of the Nautilus, it comes out some time in 2010 ... as soon as it's available to order ... you can bet I will.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom