What was the big deal w/ the 20K Leagues Under the Sea ride?

EpcotServo

The main problem that did it in, I think, is that it was slow loading and couldn't handle the increasing volume of guests.
Each submarine only held about 11 people at at time.

Wrong. Each sub held a little under 40 people.

Just one of the many excuses, take a look at the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, living proof that the ride system had no real problems operating whatsoever, and was modernized into an incredibly efficient and well run ride system, as well as an exciting experience.

Being cheap was the only reason the coolest Disney ride ever was shut down years before it's time, and why what replaces it is...a playground.

marsrunner

Wrong. Each sub held a little under 40 people.

Just one of the many excuses, take a look at the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, living proof that the ride system had no real problems operating whatsoever, and was modernized into an incredibly efficient and well run ride system, as well as an exciting experience.

Being cheap was the only reason the coolest Disney ride ever was shut down years before it's time, and why what replaces it is...a playground.

The Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage is not exactly incredibly efficient, at least in my experience. I was there in February on a rainy Saturday, and every ride in the place (including the all indoor ones) had wait times of less than 20 minutes, except Nemo which was an hour and Autopia which was 45 minutes. Its neat and all, but not worth waiting an hour for, especially when Pirates/Space/Splash/Big Thunder and everything else are practically walk-ons.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
That ride always left me fearfully in awe as a child. The lagoon was such a beautiful addition to the FL landscape and those subs were incredible to see in the water! The squid terrified me and it wasn't until I was in college that I finally watched a video of the attraction and kept my eyes open. It was immersive in experience and themeing. The queue was terrible. The lines were long. People were often guilty of 'crop dusting' whilst in the sub (stinky! :hurl: ) which was always interesting on humid Florida days.

Oh boy, did we ever love it! :eek:

Seeing the queue used as a Character meet and greet spot for the first time broke my heart...

Animaniac93-98

20kfog.jpg

^ Says it all, and what Servo says is completely correct. The ride could have been upgraded like all the other MK E-Tickets are now.

Getting rid of the costs to maintain and run the ride was the reason it was shut down, not because it wasn't popular, but because management was cheap. The first of many MK cuts that have not made the park a better place.

Enjoy Pooh's 2-5 year olds only pile of dirt and plastic. :rolleyes:

EpcotServo

The Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage is not exactly incredibly efficient, at least in my experience. I was there in February on a rainy Saturday, and every ride in the place (including the all indoor ones) had wait times of less than 20 minutes, except Nemo which was an hour and Autopia which was 45 minutes. Its neat and all, but not worth waiting an hour for, especially when Pirates/Space/Splash/Big Thunder and everything else are practically walk-ons.

Did you time it, or was that just what the sign says? I waited for it all the way back to Small World- and got on the ride in an hour and 35 minutes. If it was infront of the Lagoon near the Monorail, it was 30 minutes TOPS.

20kfog.jpg

^ Says it all, and what Servo says is completely correct. The ride could have been upgraded like all the other MK E-Tickets are now.

^ Again. Look at that. TAKE A GOOD LONG LOOK.

I rest my case.

:D

jen2009

I was a little kid when this was out and the mere fact that we went underwater was cool. You could look through the peep holes and see underwater. The ride was just different than anything that is out there know. It was one of my favorites until it closed.

marsrunner

Did you time it, or was that just what the sign says? I waited for it all the way back to Small World- and got on the ride in an hour and 35 minutes. If it was infront of the Lagoon near the Monorail, it was 30 minutes TOPS.
It was an hour. The sign said an hour and a half. We were in front of the lagoon in between it and the Matterhorn so that the talking seagulls were in front of us and we were looking straight towards the waterfall the subs go under. I plan on riding every time I go, but I'll be sure to do it either early or late. I don't think it is worth the wait, but then the only thing in any theme park I'd wait an hour plus for is Tower of Terror in Florida, just because I love it so much! :)
Don't get me wrong, 20K in WDW was a beautiful attraction and should have been modernized rather than left to sit vacant for so long and then buried and converted into a playground. Now, if they end up building LM there, I think it'll be an even trade if LM is as good as it sounds. Now, they should have done that right after closing it, but that's another discussion.

I_heart_Tigger

Here's an extensive/amazing article on 20K, and the one where I got that picture from:

http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/20K.htm

If you don't understand why this ride was amazing after reading this article, than you suck. :p

I suck :lol:

Seriously I loved the look of the vehicles but the ride was disappointing. It's about what I would expect having a conversation with Colin Farrell...looks good on the outside but completely pointless and lacks substance.

Scooter

I got the opportunity to ride this attraction 3 times before it shut down.
I was 35 years old the first time I rode it so I have a pretty clear memory of my experiance. Here's what I remember:

A long wait in the hot sun. It was a very slow loading ride with no handicapped accessibility whatsoever. Once you got inside the seats were wet and smelled terribly of mold. If you were claustrophobic this ride would freak you out. The animatronics were crude and out dated. The view out the tiny windows wasn't all that great because of fog, condensation, and the mirky water. The audio sound track was decent but not believeable because if you looked out the portholes and looked up you could see the sky.

Not a great ride, but I'm glad I experienced it. If it came back in the same form as last time I wouldn't bother riding it again but it did look neat from the outside.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
This attraction was one of few based off of Disneys live action works. It was back in the day when attractions were not so much created to market a product (i.e., dumping you out into a gift shop) and therefore had to have characters that could be turned into plush dolls, or rubber figures. It was based off of pure creativity related to "just making a damned good attraction".

I miss it.

a2grafix

I rode it numerous times when I was young, from the mid-1970s through August 1993. It was a very cool ride, although the concep was simple. As many have said, just being inside something down in the water, created another reality, something that you don't see every day.

My most favorite parts were the bubbles and how they were used as a transition into the various depths the Nautilus submerged, though we stayed on one level track. Still, though, it was the illusion.

Secondly, I vividly recall hearing the depth bells and whistles, the darkness, the mermaids, the organ, and the red light throughout the cabin.

Dj Corona

Well put, Hakunamatata....
(Much like other now extinct rides, Mr. Toad comes to mind, since it was almost in the same area at the time)
Also Peeps, don't forget you can always do a Youtube trip thru 20K, minus the claustrophobia, mildew, etc.

wolf359

I think 20k is one of the ultimate nostalgia attractions. It didn't become legendary until it was closed.

And I'll agree it was cutting edge for it's time, but that time was 1958, not 1972 and certainly not 1994 when it finally closed.

But there's something about the environment of those subs that did leave a lasting impression, because I remember it vividly myself, and when I was 8 I didn't quite grasp what a dated laughingstock it was. I just thought it was neat to be down under water in a smelly old submarine.

And just remember that all of those awful new rides and attractions that are constantly ridiculed here are making the very same kind of impression on a new generation, and one day they'll be pining over dear, departed Mission:Space and Dinosaur with the same fervor and the sense of lament as we do for Horizons or Alien Encounter...or 20k.

NASAMan

It has been established the ride was closed due to cost-cutting measures, mainly in maintenance. Some have complained of the subs' cramped interior (please don't ride Mission:Space) and the difficulty in loading (still higher throughput than Peter Pan), but these were the name of the game at the time still found on the Submarine Voyage at DL which operates successfully. Most of the complaints seem to be bad odor, mold, foggy viewports, and murky water. All of these are maintenance issues, which were already being cut due to poor staffing. Many of us have heaped praise on the upgrades done for Haunted Mansion and even Pirates of the Caribbean. This same level of care should have gone to 20k.

What was the big deal? Just a one of a kind (sorry, rethemed clone of a DL) attraction that did what Disney does best. Provide entertainment through experience in an immersive (submersive?) environment.

I won't ride the Teacups. Ever. But I won't wish it away or say "I'm glad they removed it" or even suggest it is a bad ride. It's not for me but I see hundreds of happy people riding each time I go by and I'm happy for them. I miss the subs, miss taking my kids on them, and will really miss taking my grandkids.

DisneyMusician2

I think 20k is one of the ultimate nostalgia attractions. It didn't become legendary until it was closed.

And I'll agree it was cutting edge for it's time, but that time was 1958, not 1972 and certainly not 1994 when it finally closed.

But there's something about the environment of those subs that did leave a lasting impression, because I remember it vividly myself, and when I was 8 I didn't quite grasp what a dated laughingstock it was. I just thought it was neat to be down under water in a smelly old submarine.

And just remember that all of those awful new rides and attractions that are constantly ridiculed here are making the very same kind of impression on a new generation, and one day they'll be pining over dear, departed Mission:Space and Dinosaur with the same fervor and the sense of lament as we do for Horizons or Alien Encounter...or 20k.

Very true.

Everything is better when it is a nostalgic memory, and the new rides will one day be the treasured rides of old.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom