What was the big deal w/ the 20K Leagues Under the Sea ride?

EPCOT Explorer

Have you ever seen the movie? well I did IN THE THEATER.. and trust me 20K was great.. so you went once, missed it another time, and now you are glad that its gone.. thats a ton of trash.. what perspective. How about for those of us who rode it since the park opened. for years and years. it was NEVER LAME..

the only thing would have been the sea serpent, but for those of us WHO saw the movie the FIRST TIME AROUND. Who coveted the Voice of James Mason. Those of us who loved to hear KIRK DOUGLAS SING.. the Great Peter Lorre'.. think about that cast. and then you down play this attraction. Who are you to say it was lame. Watch the movie and then do the ride.. and then say something.. Because you have no clue what or what is not lame..

Wow...Opinion?

And I think Martin of all people would know.:rolleyes::lol:

Animaniac93-98

Some tips for tributes to the ride if Mermaid's built at WDW:

- Include the octopus fighting shark sculpture somewhere in the ride or make it an AA. The gag would still be funny to those whom didn't ride 20K because it's such a random thing and those who would get it would find it cool

- Put the mass of sailing flags out front as part of the facade

- Include tracks from 20K's queue music loop in Mermaid's queue. Heck in 1993 20K's loop got Mermaid related additions.

- Have the sea serpent make a cameo with some background mermaids (maybe Ariel's sisters?).

any other ideas?

EPCOT Explorer

- Include the octopus fighting shark sculpture somewhere in the ride or make it an AA. The gag would still be funny to those whom didn't ride 20K because it's such a random thing and those who would get it would find it cool

- Include tracks from 20K's queue music loop in Mermaid's queue. Heck in 1993 20K's loop got Mermaid related additions.

- Have the sea serpent make a cameo with some background mermaids (maybe Ariel's sisters?).

any other ideas?
*nods*

Have a model of the sub float by at some time

Use some lines from the movie

You know...The works.:D

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Have you ever seen the movie? well I did IN THE THEATER.. and trust me 20K was great.. so you went once, missed it another time, and now you are glad that its gone.. thats a ton of trash.. what perspective. How about for those of us who rode it since the park opened. for years and years. it was NEVER LAME..

the only thing would have been the sea serpent, but for those of us WHO saw the movie the FIRST TIME AROUND. Who coveted the Voice of James Mason. Those of us who loved to hear KIRK DOUGLAS SING.. the Great Peter Lorre'.. think about that cast. and then you down play this attraction. Who are you to say it was lame. Watch the movie and then do the ride.. and then say something.. Because you have no clue what or what is not lame..
I rode in 1979. I rode in 1981. I rode in 1990. I`ve seen the excellent movie. I`ve done the DLP version of the attraction, which is a far more modern representation of the design and atmosphere from the film.

Never Lame... okay.

Mrs.Toad

It was just sooooo....cute and nautically whimsical.

Yes, it was corny....in a great way though.

The quite obviously fake crabs and sea creatures...the octupus with the crazy eyes....the constant bubbling outside the circular windows....the music...the sounds in the sub...and the narrator cracked me up.

I remember when I was younger and I went back to MK ( before I knew about this site) and it was gone. I had no idea. That lagoon looked so empty without it and it was so sad. It was like a huge eyesore to me... so empty...something permanent needs to go there.

Jasonflz

any other ideas?

Have all the original animatronics playin instruments in the under the sea scene.

Duckberg

Concur

It was a good ride. Unique at the time.
Also the movie 'Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea' was popular.

The main problem that did it in, I think, is that it was slow loading and couldn't handle the increasing volume of guests.
Each submarine only held about 11 people at at time.

:)

Your post sums up how I feel also. For 1950's Disney BOOMERS :D the movie with Kirk Douglas WAS a big deal.Duckberg :wave:

Lunamis

I was very young when it was still around and I remembered being scared to death of the giant squid! When you are that little the attraction seemed very real, however to an adult I can see why it might be considered a little corny.

It was one of those magical rides that you couldn't go on anywhere else. It was really different to be underwater. However, I also remember the very long wait times which are not fun in the heat.

MeTa

The big deal was they got rid of a classic, and the possibility of refurbing it into an unreal ride. So many possibilities lost because they wanted to put a tree and honey pot there.:shrug:

trr1

It was a good ride. Unique at the time.
Also the movie 'Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea' was popular.

The main problem that did it in, I think, is that it was slow loading and couldn't handle the increasing volume of guests.
Each submarine only held about 11 people at at time.

:)

also it was not handicap accessible or if you were on the large side you took up 2 seats

but i still liked it

Dragonrider1227

I've seen footage. Honestly, the ride didn't impress me. though I can understand missing this ride and being annoyed that it got paved over for a playground, I think a place like the Pooh Playground is all too needed. I wish places like that existed when we went back in 1990 with my autistic four year old brother. He was easily overwhelmed by those big, immersing rides and something like the pooh playground would've really helped him when he needed to calm down.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I recall riding it about 3 times as a kid. All 3 the wait was well over an hour and the first time was over 2 hours. I would like to think that the wait time didnt assist in my opinion that it kind of stunk, but I think it helped a bit.

I was a bit underwhelmed too as a kid. I thought the ride vehicles were super cool though. :D

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I've seen footage. Honestly, the ride didn't impress me. though I can understand missing this ride and being annoyed that it got paved over for a playground, I think a place like the Pooh Playground is all too needed. I wish places like that existed when we went back in 1990 with my autistic four year old brother. He was easily overwhelmed by those big, immersing rides and something like the pooh playground would've really helped him when he needed to calm down.

Im not sure I have ever seen calm kids on that playground. My kids tend to get more wound up on it....:shrug:

DABIGCHEEZ

20K was classic Disney and that is what I remember. It was stuffy and crammed but unique as well. Rode it many times as a kid/teen. It was classic like Jungle Cruise, Tiki, POC, and IASW and should have remained. It by no means would be upto todays standards.... but are any of the others really? I was upset when they closed it and wish it were still there with some new effects/technologies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom